• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Redoing Ultima

Vargen

Validated User
It continues to bother me immensely that Bioware, that studio that does great character work and ethical questions but can't write a plot to save their lives, has yet to touch that series that is, at its best, light on plot and heavy on ethics.
It may seem odd on the face of it, but the Ultima games are really outside of the way Bioware likes to do things, especially in the vein of 4-6 (and maybe 7), in that there really isn't another road. Being a dedicated jackoff in the Ultima games at a minimum makes the classic games extremely difficult to progress and in a few cases actually impossible to complete, so, at some point, you're going to have to spend quite a bit of effort to be the good guy in order to win.
I've thought a bit about this. You wouldn't have Bioware do their typical dark/light/rogue/paragon/whatever split. Instead you have them pit the virtues against each other. The "virtue test" scenarios that various Ultimas used for character creation would be the template.

I'd have them do an Ultima X with a fresh PC rather than a remake of anything old though.

Cult Classic

A cautionary tale
Validated User
I think that Ultimas I - VI could actually all be remade as one large unified game. The different threats to Sosaria/Britannia would all be happening simultaneously in different sections of the world, and don't necessarily need to be completed in a particular order. Overall, the game would basically be a spiritual remake of Ultima IV, it's just that the virtues (which probably need to be tweaked a little) tie more directly into the to the various re-imagined threats from the other games; what happens isn't as important as how it happens. You could even get really crazy and be able to play both within and outside of Britannia (so you're the Avatar in the Britannia world but just your regular self here in our world.) Things you do in this world still affect your virtues in the other or somesuch.

Alternately, you could just remake it as a Skyrim clone that jarringly becomes a sudden space shooting sim 95% of the way through. (I joke out of nostalgic love here.)

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I would honestly love to see a proper remake of the early ultima games with a modern game aesthetics.

I never played the games, but I watched Spoony's retrospective on them, and enjoyed it immensely, and you can get them all on GoG (Most of them for free I think) but the games are so archaic and obtuse I can't really play them. (Of course I have trouble trying to play Baldur's gate).

A version of the first three games as a Skyrim style game would totally be my jam.

crusher bob

Validated User
I'm intrigued. Could you tell me more? Particularly about something iPad-centric.
Know that they make Max versions of their software, don't know about running on ipads. Graphics are roughly modernized Ultima5 or 6, depending on the game. Conversations are done similar to the <name> <job> <bye> system of old Ultimas. They tend to have a lot more text/story insertion than the early Ultimas. For example, if you explore somewhere, you'll often get some text inserted about what you see, and some mini-reward type thing.

It looks like at least some of the games are available on the Apple App store, so would guess they'll run on iPads.

The first Avernum game seems to be available for around $10, and I can certainly recommend it.

Klajorne

Double Clutching Weasel
Validated User
Know that they make Max versions of their software, don't know about running on ipads. Graphics are roughly modernized Ultima5 or 6, depending on the game. Conversations are done similar to the <name> <job> <bye> system of old Ultimas. They tend to have a lot more text/story insertion than the early Ultimas. For example, if you explore somewhere, you'll often get some text inserted about what you see, and some mini-reward type thing.

It looks like at least some of the games are available on the Apple App store, so would guess they'll run on iPads.

The first Avernum game seems to be available for around $10, and I can certainly recommend it.
Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom