• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Redoing Ultima

Cult Classic

A cautionary tale
Validated User
I would be *gobsmacked* by a single bright ray of pure awesome if Spiderweb Software somehow got the rights to reboot Ultima.

Lewd Beholder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Question

Is there a really good let's play of Ultima 9?

I'm finding the game very painful to watch.

Heck ultima 8 was considerably less painful (mind you I found a really good and very funny let's play that may have papered over the worst of it's problems).

Vargen

Validated User
Question

Is there a really good let's play of Ultima 9?

I'm finding the game very painful to watch.

Heck ultima 8 was considerably less painful (mind you I found a really good and very funny let's play that may have papered over the worst of it's problems).
Poor Ultima IX. So many good little details that utterly failed to come together into a satisfying whole.

I still maintain that (post patch) Ultima VIII was a pretty good game. It was just a bad Ultima. If they'd leaned into the action-y elements a little more and made it a side-game like the two Underworlds I think it would be remembered fondly.

Lewd Beholder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
It makes sense what they wanted to do (What if the guardian succeeds and what does a world look like if he/she would have taken it over) and the world building is actually kinda neat.

I'd love them to revisit the world and/or bringing it into an expanded ultima verse.

Colin Fredericks

Dorkasaurus Rex
Validated User
I think that Ultimas I - VI could actually all be remade as one large unified game. The different threats to Sosaria/Britannia would all be happening simultaneously in different sections of the world, and don't necessarily need to be completed in a particular order. Overall, the game would basically be a spiritual remake of Ultima IV, it's just that the virtues (which probably need to be tweaked a little) tie more directly into the to the various re-imagined threats from the other games; what happens isn't as important as how it happens.
If you're going to mash them together, I'd rather have Minax and her time-shifting as the unifying element rather than having them all in the same world at the same time.

Top Bottom