• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Remnant: From the Ashes] Soulsborne Co-op Shooter

James Weatherby

Dour Little Bird
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This game seems to have flown under a lot of people's radar, and I think it's good enough to rectify that. I've been playing it a lot over the past few days and having a ton of fun. If you like what the game is selling - Soulsborne with Guns and Co-op that isn't just for bossfights - I'd recommend giving it a look. It is very playable solo if you are better than I am. Personally I found it rather brutal to play solo, but I know there area lot of folks that will really enjoy it that way. It's not perfect by any means though. It starts off pretty bland and the characters animations show that this isn't a AAA production (fortunately so does the price). There's some wonkiness with framerates from time to time, and I did crash to desktop a couple times, but overall I've had a blast. To me it feels like what could be the first iteration of a really great franchise.

This review is pretty close to my feelings:

Edit: speaking of starting off bland, what were they thinking with that title? Ugh.

Geoff8733

Validated User
I've been digging Remnant. The story makes me want to dust off my old GURPS Infinite Worlds book and give it a spin :D

And while gameplaywise the bosses feel very Dark Souls, the rest of the gunplay reminds me more of very early Warframe.

Vrylakos

All right, all right, all right...
Validated User
Bought it last night and only went through the tutorial mission before I had to go to sleep. Seems pretty promising - I like the story bits I've come across so far, and I like the post-post apocalypse set up that is going on. Hoping to see more interesting worldbuilding and twists as I move on...

James Weatherby

Dour Little Bird
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm just so happy there's no microtransactions. No loot boxes. No "player engagement" FOMO bullshit. Most games with co-op that I've played have all that stuff and I hate it. Particularly "player engagement" FOMO bullshit. Better play every day or you'll miss out! Fuck that.

I'm going to play this until I'm done and then I'm going to stop. And there won't be grubby publishers trying to lure me back so they can try to stick their grubby hands in my pockets.

I hadn't realized just how hostile I've become to "free to play" style mechanics (particularly when they show up in games that aren't free) until I realized what a fucking relief it is not to have them.

Vrylakos

All right, all right, all right...
Validated User
Joined someone's game and managed to kill Gorefist. Took a few tries, but cool. Then forged their mod, which was likewise cool, and realized I could level the hell out of my armor and weapons, which I had not done. This game is so much better co-op, though more tense solo.

Top Bottom