Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Requiem for the Gods
part four:

Carrigmoor
Fire in the Sky

OOC: To recap: Selina, the cat/ermine chimera pyrokinetic, seems to have become dazzled by the Burning Brand and has followed Madeline home and refuses to leave.

Leila and Abigail, the curvy hound chimera next door, are heading out to Black Velvet, a club known to be popular with the Kindred of Twilight, Carrigmoor's own vampire community. Whether any of them know the first thing about actual vampires - in particular, Leila's mother Claudia - remains to be seen.

Edit: original IC thread here. Reminder: please do not reply to it.

_________________________________________________________________________​

Leila and Abigail make their way to the club, Black Velvet. It's a surprisingly small place - at least from the outside - with no windows and a single door. A burly human bouncer stands stoically by the door; he's dressed all in black, including opaque black glasses, and gives the impression that he's not likely to move for anyone short of a minor deity.

The cover charge, you remember, is 20 credits, 30 for chimeras.

She sighs, and places a hand on Selina's shoulder. "Here, come with me to my room for a moment. You haven't displeased me, especially because there's no need to please me in the first place, so you have no reason to be sorry. If anyone should be sorry, it should be me for leaving you like this."
Selina follows Madeline into her room. "I'm so confused," she says, sounding younger than her years. "I thought - when you sang, and the light blazed like that - it was like coming back to the home I never had. And now you don't want me here and - "

She breaks off unsteadily.

As Madeline and Selina disappear, Kurg exchanges quizzical glances with Amelia, Jake and Seiran.

And there's a knock at the door. Just one, a single thump.

Last edited:

Elfwine

Validated User
Save for a pensive frown, Amelia looks unperturbed.

Any comment she may have been gathering her thoughts to say is cut off by the knock at the door.

"Now who could that be? Excuse me, Kurg."

Amelia goes to answer her own question in the most straightforward way.

Last edited:

BunBun299

Killer Rabbit
Validated User
"Well, Abigail, like I said earlier today, you're on your own for the entrance fee," Leila says. "I can only cover me. And I'm going to see if I can skip even that. Hopefully next time I'll have enough credits for both of us."

Leila looks around the area of the club's entrance, looking for any lonely looking young men who might be willing to pay her way. Or women, if there are any about that swing that way. She's not picky. But a man will be much easier.

If she spots any lonely looking individuals, she flashes them a smile. If not such potential marks, er, dates, present themselves, she will pay the fee.

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User
Jake is about to ask Seiran a bit more about this newcomer Selina when the door knocks. Amelia, however, beats him to the door. He turns back to Seiran.

"So," he asks. "Where'd you come across Madeline's 'fan'? And what exactly did Madeline do for her to stick to her like that."

"Madeline was trying some of her music, trying to show off her abilities," Seiran replies, trying to keep a straight face, "and she used the power of the Brand to bolster it. She... may have left a stronger impact than she desired. She intended to help with a song, but... well, it worked too well."

OOC: Seiran is going for a Persuasion roll. Jake, naturally, is going to try and roll Smarts w/ Strong-Willed to counter.

Last edited:

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Selina follows Madeline into her room. "I'm so confused," she says, sounding younger than her years. "I thought - when you sang, and the light blazed like that - it was like coming back to the home I never had. And now you don't want me here and - "

She breaks off unsteadily.
Madeline flops onto her bed, sighing and rubbing her head as she first says "It's not that I don't want you here... it's... complicated. And you being here complicates things as well." She tries to think how best to approach this, recalling prior comments and how Selina had responded. "I feel... I feel like I've entranced you, unwittingly taking hold of your mind and will... that I've put you in a cage I never intended to place you in. Inspiring others and giving them a rush of feelings from my music is something I've always loved to do... but something like this has never happened. I've had fans, I've had patrons who enjoyed my skill... but this is way, way past all of that... it's almost like a religious experience... and I'll admit, I've never really been the religious sort... and only loosely spiritual at times."

She frowns a bit, sitting up as she looks over to her and asks "How would you feel if you shared your talent with someone, and then they followed you home and said they'd do whatever you wanted? Or given the impression they'd BE whatever you wanted? Wouldn't it bother you a bit, even if it was clear that it was their choice?" Madeline squirms, her expression worried as she's clearly unsure if she's using the right words or going at this the right way.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Amelia opens the door to find Camilla standing before her, the strange, winged, jet-black woman. "Good greetings, Hunter," she says. "I understand it is customary to knock upon the door before entering, though I admit I have never understood the reason."

Leila, unfortunately, does not see any likely victims nearby. She pays the stoic bouncer, who looks her over, takes her money, and waves her in. He gives Abigail a rather longer looking-over - whether because she's a chimera or for some other reason - before allowing her entry as well.

Inside, Leila and Abigail descend a flight of stairs and reach the end of a hallway; a human in a small room to one side offers to take their coats and purses (Abigail declines). Beyond is the nightclub proper. Completely underground, Black Velvet is larger than expected, and very dark: the only light seems to be red and violet mood lighting in the corners. It's almost restful to Leila's night-adapted eyes. Strange, throbbing music pulses from hidden speakers, with heavy bass notes that feel almost like an irregular heartbeat. You see no band, but a spiky-haired male human on a tiny stage at the back manipulates an array of electronic devices, and you get the impression he is controlling the music.

The room is large and octagonal, with small alcoves and tables lining the walls. The people are predominantly human, though you see two or three chimeras as well. They're dressed in dark and daring fashions, what Leila might have considered scandalous back home, and what would surely cause Amelia to glare disapprovingly. Black, purple, and dark red seem to be the predominant colors, with the occasional white accent. Tight clothes, skirts slit up past the hip, and extremely creative interpretations of the concept of "top" seem to be the order of the day.

You quickly identify the staff; they seem to be wearing a simpler version of an outfit called a tuxedo, albeit with no jacket.

Spoiler: Show

Seiran Persuasions: 2, +2 Charismatic = 4
Jake Notice: 2

"I think I understand what you're saying," Selina says to Madeline. "But . . . I don't feel entranced? I feel . . . it's hard to describe. Like I'm in a warm place after living all my life in the cold. Like you opened a door I never knew existed. Your singing . . . the fire . . ." She shivers and closes her eyes. "It was almost sexual, the intensity. I've always been fascinated with fire, even before I discovered my talent."

She opens her eyes and looks at Madeline. "Religious? I've never been religious - I've read some about Old Earth religions, but never practiced any, never believed, you know? But . . . I think I understand religion better now."

She shakes her head. "If you want me to go, I'll go, but if you let me stay, I'll do anything you want me to."

Last edited:

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Spoiler: Show

Seiran Persuasions: 2, +2 Charismatic = 4
Jake Notice: 2

"I think I understand what you're saying," Selina says to Madeline. "But . . . I don't feel entranced? I feel . . . it's hard to describe. Like I'm in a warm place after living all my life in the cold. Like you opened a door I never knew existed. Your singing . . . the fire . . ." She shivers and closes her eyes. "It was almost sexual, the intensity. I've always been fascinated with fire, even before I discovered my talent."
"Well, if you were entranced, would you be able to feel it?" Madeline asks softly after a moment, though she listens. The analogy is certainly a nice one, and it makes her not want to push her away more, though that might have been the point of using it. She blushes at that comment and finds herself a bit glad that Seiran isn't in the room... though a brief smile flickers across her face as she gets a distant look for but a moment as the description and her fascination with fire make her think of Anna...

She opens her eyes and looks at Madeline. "Religious? I've never been religious - I've read some about Old Earth religions, but never practiced any, never believed, you know? But . . . I think I understand religion better now."

She shakes her head. "If you want me to go, I'll go, but if you let me stay, I'll do anything you want me to."
"Seiran could probably help on that... heck, she might know better what to say than I do right now, given she is a priestess." Madeline says, shrugging a bit and sighing as she rubs her temple again.

"What I want, above all else... is for you to just keep living your life and doing what you were doing before my music and the brand... probably the brand more than anything... imprinted themselves on you so. At least for the moment. Give it some time and maybe sleep it off... maybe if you still feel as you do now, I'll accept that it is of your own free will and then... then I'd have to talk it out with the others, but right now it just... I just worry that I've done something I didn't want to do, didn't mean to do."

"At the very least though, you'll probably need to head home or to your friends, whomever you stay with. I don't know how our landlord would feel about someone extra being here, even if it was only for the night, and at the moment your unexpected presence is putting some of the rest of the group on edge."

Elfwine

Validated User
Amelia is not quite sure what to make of this, but it never hurts to be polite.

"Good evening, Camilla. Knocking does let those within know that someone has arrived, at least."

She pauses, before looking over her shoulder.

"Camilla has decided to pay us a visit."

She stands to one side to let her enter.

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User
Jake isn't entirely convinced by Seiran's reply, but given that her story seems to match up with Madeline's, he doesn't seem to find any problems around it, at least for the time being. His main concern is Selina being a spy or a hanger-on, but the former seems unlikely given her devoted, puppy dog-like tailing of Madeline everywhere, and the latter is more annoying than anything.

Camilla's unexpected arrival breaks up the tension, which he's internally grateful for.

"Camilla? This is certainly unexpected," he muses. "Did you look us up in the phone book? Mind if I ask what brought us the pleasure of this visit? You already met Leila and I last night..."

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Seiran could probably help on that... heck, she might know better what to say than I do right now, given she is a priestess." Madeline says, shrugging a bit and sighing as she rubs her temple again.
"I'll talk with your friend Seiran if you want," Selina offers. "But - well, I've been drugged before. This isn't like that. I've never felt more clear-headed."

"What I want, above all else... is for you to just keep living your life and doing what you were doing before my music and the brand... probably the brand more than anything... imprinted themselves on you so. At least for the moment.'
"It wasn't the Brand - not just the Brand," the chimera whispers, almost inaudibly.

"Give it some time and maybe sleep it off... maybe if you still feel as you do now, I'll accept that it is of your own free will and then... then I'd have to talk it out with the others, but right now it just... I just worry that I've done something I didn't want to do, didn't mean to do."

"At the very least though, you'll probably need to head home or to your friends, whomever you stay with. I don't know how our landlord would feel about someone extra being here, even if it was only for the night, and at the moment your unexpected presence is putting some of the rest of the group on edge."
"If that's what you want," Seiran says, reluctant but not resisting. "But I'll be back. Unless you tell me you never want to see me again, I'll be back. I meant what I said; I'll serve you, help you, however I can." She gives Madeline a heavy-lidded look, as if to say, Yes, even that, and then heads out the door.

As Camilla enters the room, Selina emerges from Madeline's bedroom. She pay no attention whatsoever to the black spirit-woman, but nods farewell to the rest of you and heads out the door Amelia is holding open. Camilla watches her go, then returns her attention to Amelia and Jake.

"I have never needed such niceties," she says to the hunding. "If I wish to enter a place, I simply do so."

She turns to Jake. "The phone book? No, I simply sought for you, Son of Earth. Your presence was as a fire on a cold night. There are few in this world with whom I can converse; the Blood Knight and the Beast are busy with their own affairs; the Crow will only bargain, and even I must be wary of the rose's thorns. And you fascinate me, you once-mortals. You strive to do more than you are able, yet reject what you are becoming. Such contradictions."

She is silent for a moment, and it occurs to you that her enormous wings - larger than Seiran's - really should not be able to fit in the enclosed space of this small apartment.

"And yet, the power within you will manifest," she says, with a glance in the direction of Madeline's room. "Whether you will or no."

Top Bottom