• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Requiem for the Gods re-continued

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User
"Very well. See that it does not." Amelia responds crisply.

She looks at to her datapad, and types in a few things.
Spoiler: Show
To: Wilson, Jacob.
Subject: Bismarck and Tirpitz

Given intended mission:
Strong possibility of holding additional sunwings.
May have been customized for defence.
Possibly able to function as auxiliary cruisers, with similar results versus real warships.

The possibility that secret modifications have been made must be kept in mind.

A.E. Hunter
Jake nods as he got the info, and gives a deep sigh. The whole thing left a bad taste in the mouth, and worse still, he knew he deserved it.

"Thanks, Captain," he says.
"The rest of my research, now that we have finished." she says simply, looking up from her datapad.

To Madeline and the group at large...

"I am not Sergeant Wilson, but I think it might be a good idea to learn how Miss Poindexter has heard the name Canem if we can do so discretely. It may be useful to us to know if he has been seen on this base."
Jake grimaces slightly, but he supposes it's fair.

Seiran nods at the request.
"Well, I didn't mean we should strangle her and throw her out an airlock," Selina mutters. "At least, not right away."
"Right now we're at 'wait and see'," Seiran says.
Selina does something on her datapad. "C-A-N-E-M?" she asks. "Latin for dog. I'm seeing several places that use the word in their names, mostly catering to chimeras. No idea whether they're associated with your friend, or if he'd use his name openly if he's, um, special like you guys."
"He went by a different name last time," Jake notes. "Could be the same here."
"I guess you don't want to just ask her," Selina muses. "If she's an enemy she'd just lie, and then she'd be on guard. Of course, if I was her, I'd have bugged this place already, so she could know everything anyone has said here."

"Bug?" Kurg says curiously.

"Yeah, like a listening device," Selina explains. "Something to record audio, probably, like -"

She cuts off, as if struck by some sudden realization, and you see her ears turn red with embarrassment. She looks around, then opens up a word processing program on her datapad, types a few words, and holds it up for you all to read while pointing to Madeline, Seiran and Leila.

LIKE THE BUGS SKIPPY HAD PUT ON YOUR PADS WHILE WE WERE AT THE MEETING.

She mouths "sorry," but does not speak aloud, looking absolutely crushed.

OOC: What's the plan, gang? Do I jump ahead to the next day, or not yet?
Seiran's heart sinks at the realization everything they've been saying had been recorded, and her face turns much paler than normal, until she's even paler than Leila. Several emotions fight for dominance; anger, shock, shame, fear, and embarrassment, and Seiran is speecheless.
Amelia looks more curious than concerned

"Prudent." she says clinically, turning from Selina's datapad to look at the faces of the three colleagues in question.
"This has not been a good night," Jake sighs. "And yes, I realize that doesn't absolve me, Hunter."
Madeline blinks, then she growls and hisses, her tail poofing up angrily as her ears flatten. She had still been somewhat irritated from earlier, so it made it much, much easier for her to go from a low simmer to a blazing boil.

However, rather than saying anything, she types out a message to Skippy, and it is blunt and to the point.
OOC: TO SKIPPY:
Turn your bugs off. Now.

She looks to Selina and says "I'm not mad at you. But I am mad at her. Again."
"Why?" Seiran says, finally finding her voice, turning to Selina with a hurt expression. "Why did she spy on us like this?"

BunBun299

Killer Rabbit
Validated User
"Why?" Seiran says, finally finding her voice, turning to Selina with a hurt expression. "Why did she spy on us like this?"
"Because we're three strangers who showed up out of no where," Leila says, "and she has cause to be suspicious. Nevertheless, we're going to have a talk about it with her."

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Leila's eyes narrow, then she steps up to Selina, holding out her datapad. "How do we remove them?"
Selina takes the datapad and turns it in her hands. "Depends if it's a physical bug or an app," she mutters, removing the plastic cover and examining the pad's insides. "I'm okay with computers - not great, but okay - and I can try if you want.

"Hm. I don't see any physical additions . . . oh wow, you have no security on this thing. I'm guessing she had somebody load an app - a program, like the one that plays your music - on here, that probably taps into the pad's microphone. If it's really good, it might be tangled up with your root programs, making it near-impossible to delete."

She continues to fiddle with Leila's pad.

Madeline blinks, then she growls and hisses, her tail poofing up angrily as her ears flatten. She had still been somewhat irritated from earlier, so it made it much, much easier for her to go from a low simmer to a blazing boil.

However, rather than saying anything, she types out a message to Skippy, and it is blunt and to the point.

OOC: TO SKIPPY:
Turn your bugs off. Now.

She looks to Selina and says "I'm not mad at you. But I am mad at her. Again."
Several minutes pass before Madeline gets a response.

TO: MADELINE

Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting.

- Joyce Meyer.

S​

Seiran's heart sinks at the realization everything they've been saying had been recorded, and her face turns much paler than normal, until she's even paler than Leila. Several emotions fight for dominance; anger, shock, shame, fear, and embarrassment, and Seiran is speecheless.

"Because we're three strangers who showed up out of no where," Leila says, "and she has cause to be suspicious. Nevertheless, we're going to have a talk about it with her."
Selina points at Leila and nods. "She had no reason to trust you. She took a huge risk with the meeting in the first place; for all she knew, you could have been security agents who would have called in backup and arrested everyone. Or Man First stooges. It's happened before.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't use any personal information against you unless you attack her first. She's just trying to be sure you are who you say you are, and safeguard her people."

She holds up the pad. "I can't get the spy app off; it's linked with the core processes. I could try a format and factory reset, but that would wipe all of your existing data, and even then I'm not 100% certain it would delete the spy app."

Last edited:

Elfwine

Validated User
"This has not been a good night," Jake sighs. "And yes, I realize that doesn't absolve me, Hunter."
Amelia raises a questioning eyebrow.

"Are you surprised by these bugs?"

_________________________________________________​

Amelia listens to matters with an air of detached calm.

"Miss Selina, do you think this 'app' could record sounds several metres from the datapad's location? Or only those within a metre or less?"

Last edited:

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"I'd say a meter for a normal speaking voice," the chimera says, looking over the datapad. "These are pretty basic pads. Of course, if you were yelling from across the room, it could probably pick that up."

BunBun299

Killer Rabbit
Validated User
Selina takes the datapad and turns it in her hands. "Depends if it's a physical bug or an app," she mutters, removing the plastic cover and examining the pad's insides. "I'm okay with computers - not great, but okay - and I can try if you want.

"Hm. I don't see any physical additions . . . oh wow, you have no security on this thing. I'm guessing she had somebody load an app - a program, like the one that plays your music - on here, that probably taps into the pad's microphone. If it's really good, it might be tangled up with your root programs, making it near-impossible to delete."

"Until less than a week ago, I had no idea this sort of device even existed. I wouldn't have the first clue how to add security to it," Leila says.

Patience.

S​

Selina points at Leila and nods. "She had no reason to trust you. She took a huge risk with the meeting in the first place; for all she knew, you could have been security agents who would have called in backup and arrested everyone. Or Man First stooges. It's happened before.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't use any personal information against you unless you attack her first. She's just trying to be sure you are who you say you are, and safeguard her people."

She holds up the pad. "I can't get the spy app off; it's linked with the core processes. I could try a format and factory reset, but that would wipe all of your existing data, and even then I'm not 100% certain it would delete the spy app."
"I've owned this thing for a few days," Leila says. "Not that attached to anything on it, besides some music I'm fairly sure I could find again. Still, not worth the hassle if it won't get rid of the app. We'll just have to make sure to wrap them up in something to muffle the sound when not in use. Or just shut them off and take the batteries out when we need to talk about things we don't want listened in on."

"I'd say a meter for a normal speaking voice," the chimera says, looking over the datapad. "These are pretty basic pads. Of course, if you were yelling from across the room, it could probably pick that up."
"So, we should assume Skippy knows pretty much everything we've done in the past couple days." She then starts speaking into the mic of her pad, to make sure she's heard loud and clear. "So she's learned enough about us. And just because I understand why she might do something like this, does not negate being angry about it. So any help she wants from us will depend on these spy apps being removed when we see her next." She then takes the pad into her room, and puts it under her pillow, then rejoins the others.

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User

"The pads are new and we've only had them for what, barely a week?" Madeline says aloud, barely containing her anger.

Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting.

- Joyce Meyer.

S​
Her reply is immediate.

OOC:
TO: SKIPPY

You want us to trust you and to work with you, to give our abilities to your group and help make your job easier. We've made it clear we want to help, but not letting us know about something like this after our meeting earlier does not endear you to us. It's one thing to spy on someone who you don't know about yet. It's another thing to spy on allies who have every reason to want to help your goals succeed... and risk making their own quest more difficult if things don't work out well.

"We need new datapads. The three of us at least. Though this does mean that, given what you said about security, anyone else could have been listening in to potentially... and that could apply to the other tablets too, unless Jake, Amelia, or Kurg have gotten any security stuff on it."

"Selina, can you check the other pads? I don't know what to look for to see if their bugged by anyone else."

Still...

"I can get that, but she could have told us this morning after our meeting with her at the cafe. Especially after she finally grasped how all three of us really aren't from around here and how strange and alien some things here are to us."

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User

"The pads are new and we've only had them for what, barely a week?" Madeline says aloud, barely containing her anger."
Seiran looks tearfully at her datapad.

"I thought we were friends," she mutters under her breath. She turns to Selina.

"How much do new ones cost again?" she asks in trepidation.

"Abigail told me that some of the better ones go for thousands of credits," Jake interjects. "And if you recall, they already charged us for them when we got here."

Seiran looks at Jake and the others with unease, then back to Selina.
"Until less than a week ago, I had no idea this sort of device even existed. I wouldn't have the first clue how to add security to it," Leila says.
"I'm in pretty much the same spot as Leila," Seiran adds, sheepishly. "I-I thought these were wondrous devices, I didn't know you had to protect them too..."

"So can't we just toss them in the recycler and ask it for a new one?" Jake asks. "Also, how the hell can we prevent that from happening to the rest of us?"
Amelia raises a questioning eyebrow.

"Are you surprised by these bugs?"
"I suppose I shouldn't be," Jake replies grudgingly. "It's just I thought these things came in one piece, not something you can write bugs and spying circuits in.

"And in my defense, I barely use the thing aside from messaging and schedules. And I'm practically 100% sure I kept mine near me at all times."
Amelia listens to matters with an air of detached calm.

"Miss Selina, do you think this 'app' could record sounds several metres from the datapad's location? Or only those within a metre or less?"
"I've owned this thing for a few days," Leila says. "Not that attached to anything on it, besides some music I'm fairly sure I could find again. Still, not worth the hassle if it won't get rid of the app. We'll just have to make sure to wrap them up in something to muffle the sound when not in use. Or just shut them off and take the batteries out when we need to talk about things we don't want listened in on."
"I was just getting accustomed to mine," Seiran sighs.
"So, we should assume Skippy knows pretty much everything we've done in the past couple days." She then starts speaking into the mic of her pad, to make sure she's heard loud and clear. "So she's learned enough about us. And just because I understand why she might do something like this, does not negate being angry about it. So any help she wants from us will depend on these spy apps being removed when we see her next." She then takes the pad into her room, and puts it under her pillow, then rejoins the others.
Seiran sighs and fiddles with the thing to turn it off.

Jake moves to turn it off, but then thinks again.

"Selina, can I trust you enough to make sure this thing is protected against these 'bugs'?" he asks the Chimera.

"Be nice, Jake," Seiran sighs. "She did warn us about the bugs."

"I suppose that's true," Jake says, twisting his mouth. He hesitates a bit before handing it over to Selina for security.
"We need new datapads. The three of us at least. Though this does mean that, given what you said about security, anyone else could have been listening in to potentially... and that could apply to the other tablets too, unless Jake, Amelia, or Kurg have gotten any security stuff on it."

"Selina, can you check the other pads? I don't know what to look for to see if their bugged by anyone else."

Still...

"I can get that, but she could have told us this morning after our meeting with her at the cafe. Especially after she finally grasped how all three of us really aren't from around here and how strange and alien some things here are to us."
"Guess she wasn't 100% convinced you were on her side," Jake says. "Now, if you'll just turn off the damn thing, I need to ask you girls a question or two."

Elfwine

Validated User
"Interesting, thank you."

She turns to Selina.

"Abigail told me that some of the better ones go for thousands of credits," Jake interjects. "And if you recall, they already charged us for them when we got here."

"If I am not mistaken, a basic one is closer to one hundred credits, if you feel you must replace it."

"I suppose I shouldn't be," Jake replies grudgingly. "It's just I thought these things came in one piece, not something you can write bugs and spying circuits in.

"And in my defense, I barely use the thing aside from messaging and schedules. And I'm practically 100% sure I kept mine near me at all times."
"Understandable."

Amelia does not hand her datapad over to Selina, looking thoughtfully at the device.

Last edited:

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC:
TO: SKIPPY

You want us to trust you and to work with you, to give our abilities to your group and help make your job easier. We've made it clear we want to help, but not letting us know about something like this after our meeting earlier does not endear you to us. It's one thing to spy on someone who you don't know about yet. It's another thing to spy on allies who have every reason to want to help your goals succeed... and risk making their own quest more difficult if things don't work out well.
There is no immediate response to Madeline's latest text.

"Sure," Selina says. "And I wouldn't worry about anyone listening in. Someone would still have to install the app, or you'd have to download it without realizing what it was."

Kurg hands her his pad, and she checks it over. "Looks clean," she says after a few minutes. "I can install some basic security features if you want."

"Show Kurg," the orc says, sitting beside Selina and watching what she does closely.

Seiran looks tearfully at her datapad.

"I thought we were friends," she mutters under her breath. She turns to Selina.

"A hundred for a cheap one, up to a couple G for a really good one," Selina confirms. "We could try to find a second-hand one cheaper if you want.

"And . . . you're acting like this is some shocking betrayal, but Skippy really doesn't know you. You're not really close friends, now are you? She's playing a very dangerous game, and taking some pretty huge risks by talking to you at all, so she's trying to cover herself as well as possible. This isn't anything unusual."

"I'm in pretty much the same spot as Leila," Seiran adds, sheepishly. "I-I thought these were wondrous devices, I didn't know you had to protect them too..."

"So can't we just toss them in the recycler and ask it for a new one?" Jake asks. "Also, how the hell can we prevent that from happening to the rest of us?"

"The recycler? No, it won't give you a new one; it just breaks things down to their basic components," Selina explains. "And the bugs aren't physical - well, some art, but this was a program that hijacks your microphone. All digital."

"I was just getting accustomed to mine," Seiran sighs.

Seiran sighs and fiddles with the thing to turn it off.

Jake moves to turn it off, but then thinks again.

"Selina, can I trust you enough to make sure this thing is protected against these 'bugs'?" he asks the Chimera.

"Be nice, Jake," Seiran sighs. "She did warn us about the bugs."

"I suppose that's true," Jake says, twisting his mouth. He hesitates a bit before handing it over to Selina for security.

"Guess she wasn't 100% convinced you were on her side," Jake says. "Now, if you'll just turn off the damn thing, I need to ask you girls a question or two."
"There," Selina says, handing Kurg's pad back to him. "I've added a basic firewall and password protection. A really dedicated hacker could probably get in, but this is the best I can do for now."

Kurg takes the datapad and examines it. "How can Kurg be safe?"

"Don't download anything unless you know for sure who sent it, and don't give anyone your pad unless you trust them," she says.

She turns to Jake with a slightly melancholy smile. "Yes, you can trust me, Mr Wilson. You can watch what I do, or have Madeline give me an order if it would make you feel better."

Amelia does not hand her datapad over to Selina, looking thoughtfully at the device.
Selina looks questioningly at Amelia, but does not push the matter, instead focusing on securing Jake's pad. Kurg watches her, occasionally asking a question about what she's doing.

Top Bottom