• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Requiem for the Gods re-continued

Elfwine

Validated User
The shadow-woman considers for a moment. "I do. What does the stoic Hunter think of potential alliances with other Powers, such as the Beast and myself?"

"It would depend on the Power and the nature of the alliance. I would hope to not need to ally with Canem the Alpha wolf, and I do not know you or what you want. But if my duty necessitates an alliance, my hopes and wishes do not matter."

Last edited:

BunBun299

Killer Rabbit
Validated User
"Well, Leigh is my plus one, so I can't take you," Tawnya looks thoughtful for a moment. "I know Drake was looking for a date; I could introduce you to him. But if you're interested in the Kindred, you should know favors and bargains are very important to us. If I introduce you to Drake, you'll owe me a favor."

She looks serious for a moment, then smiles. "Don't worry; it wouldn't be anything bad I might ask you to pick up a pizza for me or something like that."
"Sounds reasonable," Leila says. The favors and bargains bit certainly reminded her of her mother's people, though that wasn't so different from other high class people she'd known. "I do want to get to know the locals. So, let's meet this Drake, and we'll see about that favor when you need it."

Last edited:

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Kurg shakes his head. "Kurg did not always known own strength. Kurg broke things, hurt people. Took time to learn. Madeline-cat is now child again, just growing into strength. Does not mean strength bad. And how can Madeline-cat know limits of strength if will only say 'strength is bad!' and try to hide it?"
Madeline for a moment tries to think of a way in which she can describe how she feels about this. After a moment, she asked "Kurg, if when you were younger, a child as you say, discovering your strength and you used that strength in a normal way that everyone else can use it... but you killed someone, wouldn't that make you be wary of even trying to test out and use that strength? Or say that sometimes the strength varies... sometimes your as normal as anyone else like you, but then sometimes your strength is greater, or maybe weaker and thus it fails you when you need it most..."

"Wouldn't that make you hestitate to try and find it's limits? The consequences here are magnified ten fold if you make a mistake when even testing it, let alone using it normally."

After a moment, she thinks she has an idea of how to describe just how... upset and uncertain this all has made her. "Suppose I told Selina that I don't accept servants or followers, only friends and comrades and that I want her to feel free to speak her mind and be herself. She says yes to this... but then, what do I do when I can't shake loose the question of "Is she saying yes because she wants to be a friend or comrade and be able to do so? Or... is she saying yes because she wants to do anything I tell her to do? How do I deal with that if it happens again?"

Last edited:

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Sounds reasonable," Leila says. The favors and bargains bit certainly reminded her of her mother's people, though that wasn't so different from other high class people she'd known. "I do want to get to know the locals. So, let's meet this Drake, and we'll see about that favor when you need it."
Drake proves to be a tall, lean human with jet-black hair and beard that consists of a pencil-line tracing his jaw, dressed in something like a tuxedo cut for ease of movement. He greets Leila with a sly smile - she can see his fangs, which look almost real - and kisses her hand gallantly.

"Leila was hoping for an invite, and you were looking for a date," Tawnya says. Drake's smile widens.

"So, you're interested in the Kindred?" he says, deep-voiced. "We've a little time before the meeting starts."

He orders two Count's Finest - this proves to be a translucent red drink in a tall, narrow glass - and turns to Leila, handing her one of them. "What do you know about the Kindred?" he says curiously. "We get a few curiosity seekers around here, usually kids who don't know what they're talking about, but you seem different. You're not all fluttery, or dressed in a parody of a proper outfit. What's your interest?"

"It would depend on the Power and the nature of the alliance. I would hope to not need to ally with Canem the Alpha wolf, and I do not know you or what you want. But if my duty necessitates an alliance, my hopes and wishes do not matter."
Camilla considers this, then nods in thanks.

Madeline for a moment tries to think of a way in which she can describe how she feels about this. After a moment, she asked "Kurg, if when you were younger, a child as you say, discovering your strength and you used that strength in a normal way that everyone else can use it... but you killed someone, wouldn't that make you be wary of even trying to test out and use that strength? Or say that sometimes the strength varies... sometimes your as normal as anyone else like you, but then sometimes your strength is greater, or maybe weaker and thus it fails you when you need it most..."

"Wouldn't that make you hestitate to try and find it's limits? The consequences here are magnified ten fold if you make a mistake when even testing it, let alone using it normally."

After a moment, she thinks she has an idea of how to describe just how... upset and uncertain this all has made her. "Suppose I told Selina that I don't accept servants or followers, only friends and comrades and that I want her to feel free to speak her mind and be herself. She says yes to this... but then, what do I do when I can't shake loose the question of "Is she saying yes because she wants to be a friend or comrade and be able to do so? Or... is she saying yes because she wants to do anything I tell her to do? How do I deal with that if it happens again?"
Kurg considers Madeline's words carefully. "But Madeline-cat has not killed Sel'na," he points out. "Sel'na was healthy and alive. Could speak normally. Did not seem drugged or broken-minded. Was mindful enough to argue, hey? And if strength varies, is all more important to test, to find limits.

"Kurg understands, Madeline-cat not want to be slave-master. Kurg thinks this is good. But Kurg thinks Madeline-cat . . ." He gestures helplessly. "Kurg not know right word. Over-guesses own strength? Is as if Kurg breaks guitar of Drang, and decides this means Kurg can break anything, that Kurg will break everything Kurg touches. Only solution for Kurg to hide away, never use strength again, never help Plains Riders."

He scowls. "But that would make Kurg coward. Kurg not think Madeline-cat is coward, but is scared of new power."

He looks at the others. "What Ame'la, Jake, Seiran think? Should Madeline-cat hide from power?"

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
Madeline does nod, but says "But I wonder if her speaking normally was... well normal. Or if what I did is encouraging it. The only thing she really argued was... that she was mine to do with as I wish her to and that she was mine now..."

She considers again, and says "This is a power that could be useful. I acknowledge that. I... just worry that testing it, finding out what it can and can't do... might cause more damage. That even if it helps us... it'll do harm to others... or, at least what I think of as harm anyways... I... I don't know if I'd ever be able to convince myself that I'm not somehow manipulating their mind with this power... I mean, to find out it's limits, I'll have to use it again and again, and who knows how long it could take to figure out just how fine tuned, or how blunt and obvious, the right way to use it is."

She shakes her head and says "Before, I knew what my magic could do. And I got an example of what the brand could do, so at least I had an idea... though Orvox's aura probably helped keep it from doing anything like this back on Djah... but if this isn't just my magic and the brand's and it's something new rather than just a mixing..."

Madeline shakes her head again. This whole little incident has shaken her a bit, Madeline almost beginning to wish she hadn't put her all into that song when she sang it to them... but then, maybe she, Seiran and Leila wouldn't have been able to get time to mull over their plan, or even perhaps try to think of an alternative.

shadowsaint007

So bear-y glad!
Validated User
"I agree with Kurg," Seiran says. "I... I didn't want to make any judgement before I talked to Selina, but... from the appearance of things, it's not what Madeline makes it out to be. By her words, every prophet, messiah and leader in history had captivated and enslaved their followers to their wills. It's... a lot more complicated than that.

"What I believe happened is that Selina saw - and felt - the power as a form of miracle, similar to how holy men and prophets use miracles to confirm the divinity or righteousness of their cause, bringing people into their flock to strengthen their message, or how priests and clerics in my world were blessed by the gods to spread their faith. In a way, we too have been gifted by... something, something which seeks to guide our path to a successful conclusion. We're not only given the tools to solve problems, but to facilitate our passage.

"Perhaps this is their way of telling us that we may have to rely on ourselves to find the solution to our quest, but perhaps we are not meant to be alone in our quest, but to have allies and friends to help us along the way."

She looks at the others.

"I know it might sound a little strange, but that is how I see it," she continues. "What Madeline has - what we potentially all have - is the ability to rally others to our cause, as leaders or what have you. People have gathered such following for as long as people existed, whether they used such power responsibly or abused it. It might not be what we expected or asked for, but we have a responsibility to use it responsibly, to use it wisely. People have almost always sought to be part of something bigger than themselves, to give their lives meaning. I suggest we be careful with such power, but it is not something to be ashamed of."

"That sounds a bit... strong," Jake says uneasily. He may be a relapsed Catholic, but there were bits of his education here and there that made Seiran's words a bit blasphemous.

"Then look at it another way," Seiran responds. "Not all preachers preach faith. Some preach ideals. Some men lead revolutions, charismatic generals lead armies of men who would willingly march to their death, with only their words as their tools. They call upon faith, loyalty, or bonds of brotherhood to unite people of various walks of life behind them as they go on their odyssey. Even talented bards captivate audiences, who hang upon their every word and note for excitement and wonder, seeking spiritual satisfaction that only the bard can give. Exceptionally skilled bards have been known to create followings of enraptured followers by doing nothing but play, and they seek nothing from their flock save an audience to whom to perform."

"That... sort of makes sense," Jake says, scratching his head. "Still, it's going to take some thinking about... it's a pretty strong power."

"But such power exists whether we asked for it or not," Seiran says. "Even thinking about it makes me feel awed, as the power to sway a heart is impressive. Tyrants and false prophets have used such power - but so did heroes, sages, and honest men. The power itself is dangerous, but ultimately, it is in the hands of the wielder whether it is used for good or ill."

Last edited:

Elfwine

Validated User
Amelia looks phlegmatic.

"I do not know if we were all given the power to inspire and influence Miss Winter has, but if I may I suggest we focus on the immediate issue. Miss Winter claims that she wants Selina to live her own life and to be free to make her own choices.

Selina wishes to serve Miss Winter even though she has not asked that of her."

She looks dispassionately to Madeline.

"Is this truly how you want to treat her? That she is free to make her own choices as long as she chooses the kind of life you want her to?"

Last edited:

BunBun299

Killer Rabbit
Validated User
Drake proves to be a tall, lean human with jet-black hair and beard that consists of a pencil-line tracing his jaw, dressed in something like a tuxedo cut for ease of movement. He greets Leila with a sly smile - she can see his fangs, which look almost real - and kisses her hand gallantly.

"Leila was hoping for an invite, and you were looking for a date," Tawnya says. Drake's smile widens.

"So, you're interested in the Kindred?" he says, deep-voiced. "We've a little time before the meeting starts."

He orders two Count's Finest - this proves to be a translucent red drink in a tall, narrow glass - and turns to Leila, handing her one of them. "What do you know about the Kindred?" he says curiously. "We get a few curiosity seekers around here, usually kids who don't know what they're talking about, but you seem different. You're not all fluttery, or dressed in a parody of a proper outfit. What's your interest?"
Leila suppresses a chuckle about her attire. Her dress had been a fetish maid outfit just this morning. Guess that meant she and Abigail did a good job altering it. She takes a sip of the offered drink while considering her answer. "Well, I read about the Kindred. And there was just something.... familiar about them. Like this might be somewhere I belong." She shows off her own fangs again to Drake, touching her tongue to the points. "I've had these since forever. Almost like I knew I'd need them some day." The best lies always mix a bit of truth. She'd always had her fangs.

"So what about you? What made you join the Kindred?"

RainbowSparkle91

Fluffy Goat Monster
Validated User
"I agree with Kurg," Seiran says. "I... I didn't want to make any judgement before I talked to Selina, but... from the appearance of things, it's not what Madeline makes it out to be. By her words, every prophet, messiah and leader in history had captivated and enslaved their followers to their wills. It's... a lot more complicated than that.
"Two problems. One, I have no desire to be anything like a prophet or messiah, and given some of the leaders I know from my own worlds history, that just leaves me more wary of having a power like this in the first place. Even some of the kind and benevolent ones were lead astray by power and the thought that they 'knew what was best' for others."

Madeline squirms a bit and adds "The second one... and one I suppose I might not have made clear to Kurg is... to practice and learn this power's limits, I'll have to purposely use it on people. It's not like physical strength, where I can punch a wall and see if I put a hole through it or if I break my arm. I'll have to purposely be using it on others to practice it and get better at it."

Madeline was worried that trying to figure out just what this power could do would force her to, as she saw it given the zealous almost worshipful manner of her words and actions, create a following of people who would do whatever she wanted without question. It was neither a power she wanted nor had ever desired, and she wasn't sure she was going to be able to handle such a responsibility.

"What I believe happened is that Selina saw - and felt - the power as a form of miracle, similar to how holy men and prophets use miracles to confirm the divinity or righteousness of their cause, bringing people into their flock to strengthen their message, or how priests and clerics in my world were blessed by the gods to spread their faith. In a way, we too have been gifted by... something, something which seeks to guide our path to a successful conclusion. We're not only given the tools to solve problems, but to facilitate our passage.

"I know it might sound a little strange, but that is how I see it," she continues. "What Madeline has - what we potentially all have - is the ability to rally others to our cause, as leaders or what have you. People have gathered such following for as long as people existed, whether they used such power responsibly or abused it. It might not be what we expected or asked for, but we have a responsibility to use it responsibly, to use it wisely. People have almost always sought to be part of something bigger than themselves, to give their lives meaning. I suggest we be careful with such power, but it is not something to be ashamed of."

"Then look at it another way," Seiran responds. "Not all preachers preach faith. Some preach ideals. Some men lead revolutions, charismatic generals lead armies of men who would willingly march to their death, with only their words as their tools. They call upon faith, loyalty, or bonds of brotherhood to unite people of various walks of life behind them as they go on their odyssey. Even talented bards captivate audiences, who hang upon their every word and note for excitement and wonder, seeking spiritual satisfaction that only the bard can give. Exceptionally skilled bards have been known to create followings of enraptured followers by doing nothing but play, and they seek nothing from their flock save an audience to whom to perform."
Madeline shifts about uncomfortably. She'd never been especially religious. Maybe a bit spiritual, but it had always been in a more solitary fashion given she was always traveling. And yes, thinking about it from a religious perspective makes her think back to their actions on Djah, and how perhaps from some point of view, she could be being a bit of a hypocrite... yet she looks at that as freeing them and giving them choices. Here, she doesn't feel like a choice is being given.

She's especially quiet though as Seiran says this, her ears drooping and her tail losing some of the agitated poof. She still clearly doesn't look happy, and doubt continues to rage in her mind. The mention of bards however makes her speak up "I am a Bard Seiran, and I've certainly gained fans in my travels back on my world before it met it's end. This is as you were describing it... more akin to someone awed by a prophet performing a miracle. Even had my world never been destroyed, as the Entertainer I am, who I am, I would never have wanted THAT level of devotion to me."

Amelia looks phlegmatic.

"I do not know if we were all given the power to inspire and influence Miss Winter has, but if I may I suggest we focus on the immediate issue. Miss Winter claims that she wants Selina to live her own life and to be free to make her own choices.

Selina wishes to serve Miss Winter even though she has not asked that of her."

She looks dispassionately to Madeline.

"Is this truly how you want to treat her? That she is free to make her own choices as long as she chooses the kind of life you want her to?"
The manner in which Amelia is presenting her argument makes Madeline hiss, and her tail regains some of it's poofiness. She takes a moment to clench her teeth and breath in and out as she works to keep her cool.

"Amelia, I might not be explaining it well, but the way I've lived in my world is making this more complicated for me, maybe you missed my earlier comments about how I'm not sure I'll ever be certain that her choices are her own and not merely a reflection of what I tell her to do?" Madeline frowns, gazing at the hunding for a moment before trying to explain how she's thinking and feeling.

"You've told us that you wanted to serve your country, that you've felt duty bound to do so. But you've also spoken about how you feel when you fly. What you describe when your flying is a feeling of freedom, of liberation... it's something that's a part of you and you love it, it's in your blood."

"So how would you have felt if your country had ever decided that the best way for you to serve was to never, ever fly again? That you could never do so again, and even if you wanted to, they could force you to never take to the skies. Your duty to your country is important to you, just as Selina's new belief and devotion to me is important to her... but what if it leaves you caged, with no choices truly of your own to make, just the choices that duty gives you whether you like them or not? What if it slams the door on something that's just as important and just as much a part of you?"

A memory sparks in her head, and perhaps finally feeling like she's found her footing, she says "Right now, I feel like I'm Canem the night he used his own power to try and bend us all to his will. The difference here being that where he was able to mess with our heads but not bind us to him, I've succeeded, without even the intent of doing so. To use your phrasing, I don't feel like she's being given a choice... to me it feels like she's being COMPELLED to make this choice. And that it's my fault such compulsion is there when I didn't mean for it to be... and that frightens me."

Top Bottom