• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Resident Evil for the Tabletop?

amechra

Validated User
So, I'm currently rewatching a Let's Play of Resident Evil Revelations 2, and I was wondering how I'd get some of that goodness onto the tabletop.

Specifically, I'm looking for:

• Mundane but competent PCs. A smidge under "action movie hero", maybe? No point if you aren't supplexing the BOWs.
• Quick, action-y combat. Hopefully something that can scale up to "fight the dude who has mutated himself into a building-sized fly-scorpion hybrid".
• Speaking of mutation... a simple system for building baddies. Preferably something where I can go "it's head pops off and out comes a two-meter long death whip" without a whole lot of fudging.

So, do any games come to mind? The only fan-supplements I've seen specifically for Resident Evil were for d20 and nWoD, and neither of those really fit the bill (I am going to link the d20 one though, since holy shit that had a lot of work put into it).

atavist5

Validated User
All Flesh Must Be Eaten is generally the end-all be-all of zombie recommendations whenever I've seen them pop up.

Last edited:

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
I have a few questions.

One, are you thinking more along the lines of the pre-4 games, or the post-4 games, in terms of ‘power level’? Is a single shambling abomination a legit threat and ammo drain, or do we pop its kneecap open and suplex it through the floor?

Two, related to the first, what’s the amount of puzzle bullshit(said with the utmost affection) you want in your game? Are you going to keep it to some fairly basic fetch-the-key-that’s-actually-a-key stuff, or are we talking RE2 police station level “find the blue ox and place it with its partner the red steer and then turn them both to face the morning sun as represented by the giant police badge in the background to unlock the secret staircase down into the cells” insanity? And if you’re going heavy on the puzzles, how much do you need the system in question to support that?

Three, how comfortable are you with lean games? Like, at the extreme, you could just use Risus and when the villager’s face pops off to reveal eight feet of muscle-whip, you just cross out “angry local fisherman 3 1” and “mysterious wriggling 2” and write down “his head is a fucking SoulCalibur weapon now 3” and that’s all you need to do...but I’ll freely admit that’s not for everyone. If you want a system where there’s more meat and stats to your weird bioweapons, that’ll change recommendations a lot.

Four, related to the third, what are your thoughts on more narrative and storygames? Are you looking for super traditional stuff with strong player/GM separation and total player control of PCs, or are you more open to blurring some lines?

And lastly, five, how comfortable are you with twisting some expectations around from what the system thinks you’re doing with it, and reskinning stuff? Like, for example, if the FFG Star Wars system was totally perfect for this (I don’t think it is, but roll with me) if only you were cool with removing all the Force and spaceship stuff and reskinning all the lasers into bullets, are you totally down to do that? And are your players totally down to join you when you do? Or do you need something that starts a little closer to the mark?

Anatosuchus

Definitely not the Antichrist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My go-to for something reasonably quick-ish and dirty-ish is d6; specifically in this case I'd hit up the d6 adventure variant. You could get plenty of inspiration from the d6 fantasy creatures supplement.

In fact, if you are familiar with it or have a suitable resource you might even be able to repurpose the old scaling mechanic (human/walker/speeder/starfighter etc.) to give you more resilient baddies to use as bosses.

amechra

Validated User
All Flesh Must Be Eaten is generally the end-all be-all of zombie recommendations whenever I've seen them pop up.
I'll see if I can scrape up some AFMBE - that's Unisystem, right? I remember skimming one of the books a while back, and the zombie creation rules seemed comprehensive (if a little finicky).

I have a few questions.

One, are you thinking more along the lines of the pre-4 games, or the post-4 games, in terms of ‘power level’? Is a single shambling abomination a legit threat and ammo drain, or do we pop its kneecap open and suplex it through the floor?
4 and Revelations 1/2, mostly. Shamblers shouldn't be a terribly massive threat unless they're "evolved" or you're really careless.

Two, related to the first, what’s the amount of puzzle bullshit(said with the utmost affection) you want in your game? Are you going to keep it to some fairly basic fetch-the-key-that’s-actually-a-key stuff, or are we talking RE2 police station level “find the blue ox and place it with its partner the red steer and then turn them both to face the morning sun as represented by the giant police badge in the background to unlock the secret staircase down into the cells” insanity? And if you’re going heavy on the puzzles, how much do you need the system in question to support that?
Honestly, I'd love a system with some support for puzzle bullshit... but a lot of it comes down to scenario design. Though a little system where the players have to tell me what painfully contrived garbage they need to suffer through to open the door might be fun...

Three, how comfortable are you with lean games? Like, at the extreme, you could just use Risus and when the villager’s face pops off to reveal eight feet of muscle-whip, you just cross out “angry local fisherman 3 1” and “mysterious wriggling 2” and write down “his head is a fucking SoulCalibur weapon now 3” and that’s all you need to do...but I’ll freely admit that’s not for everyone. If you want a system where there’s more meat and stats to your weird bioweapons, that’ll change recommendations a lot.
I'm personally super-comfortable with this kind of thing - unfortunately, the people I have available to me at the moment hate rules-light. So a bit more heft is desired, I'm afraid.

Four, related to the third, what are your thoughts on more narrative and storygames? Are you looking for super traditional stuff with strong player/GM separation and total player control of PCs, or are you more open to blurring some lines?
Personally, I rather like storygames. Unfortunately, the people who are currently available to me aren't - I've had one of them straight-up tell me that Fate isn't a roleplaying game. But yeah, I'd like to hear about some blurring.

And lastly, five, how comfortable are you with twisting some expectations around from what the system thinks you’re doing with it, and reskinning stuff? Like, for example, if the FFG Star Wars system was totally perfect for this (I don’t think it is, but roll with me) if only you were cool with removing all the Force and spaceship stuff and reskinning all the lasers into bullets, are you totally down to do that? And are your players totally down to join you when you do? Or do you need something that starts a little closer to the mark?
I'd prefer it if I didn't need to reframe everything, to be honest. Then again, I've been debating using Blades in the Dark to run X-Com... And I can deal with the players if necessary.

My go-to for something reasonably quick-ish and dirty-ish is d6; specifically in this case I'd hit up the d6 adventure variant. You could get plenty of inspiration from the d6 fantasy creatures supplement.

In fact, if you are familiar with it or have a suitable resource you might even be able to repurpose the old scaling mechanic (human/walker/speeder/starfighter etc.) to give you more resilient baddies to use as bosses.
I am, unfortunately, complete and utterly unfamiliar with d6. Is there a quickstart I can look at?

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
D6 is certainly not a bad system to go with. I’m actually most familiar with its compressed version, Mini Six, but if you want the full flavor, you have two major options:

One of the best and cleanest classic iterations of the system, a bit ironic given my example earlier, is the original WEG Star Wars game. There was a recent rerelease of the original through FFG, though I don’t know if official PDFs were ever released.

Your other option is the Open D6 variant, which was actually made, to my knowledge, totally legitimately free a while back under a variant of the OGL. You can find those all right here.

If you want a quick peek, Mini Six is basically the same math with a few key noted points of differentiation, smaller skill lists, and reducing the gear catalogs. Honestly, aside from how it handles magic, I think the D6 system is fantastic and would treat you really well. Plus, it has an absurd amount of content.

(For reference, the system basically by default, makes you roll to cast spells, with penalties for failure on top of the wasted action, with a distinct subset of the spells being D&D powerful. So it’s like all the problems of every major take on RPG magic all at once.)

Top Bottom