• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Ridiculous] The Psychic Snake Man Index

amechra

Validated User
So, I was amazingly bored at work today, and I came up with the following entirely useless game rating system:

A game's Psychic Snake Man index is determined by thinking about what parts of "psychic snake man" would feel inappropriate as a character pitch for the game. The game gets a point for each part of that concept thatdoesn't feel weird.

A similar (but quite different) concept is the Lesbian Stripper Ninja index.

Looking over my collection, I think Night Witches "scores" the lowest for both (it has a PSM of 0 and a LSN of 1), while the highest scorer is Monsterhearts (PSM of 3 and LSN of 2) or Apocalypse World (PSM of 2 and LSN of 3). A conversation with one of my coworkers revealed that, while D&D has a PSM of 2-3 (it starts at 2, peaks at 3 during 3.x, then shrinks back down to 2 afterwards), his settings have a PSM of 1 (no psychic powers and no snake-men).

Anyone want to share ratings of their own? Issues with my highly scientific system? Any additional rating systems in the same vein?

Lord Raziere

Banned
Validated User
Hm. lets see.

My Psychic Snake Man Index:
DnD: 3
Wh40k: 2 (human-centric, except 3 for Rogue Trader if a Xeno)
Anima Beyond Fantasy: 2 (no snakeman race)
Dungeons the Dragoning: 3
Eclipse Phase: 3
Mindjammer: 2 (because no psychic powers in Mindjammer as I can recall)
Mutants and Masterminds: 3
Nobilis: 3
Exalted: 2 (psychic powers just aren't an Exalted thing)
WoD and DFRPG: 2 (I could see a man being psychic or a man being a snake in either urban fantasy setting, but not both)
Legends of the Wulin/Tian Xia: 2 (again psychic powers aren't really something that happens in wuxia)
Rocket Age: 3
Star Trek Adventures: 3

my Lesbian Stripper Ninja Index:
DnD: 3
Wh40k: 3
Anima Beyond Fantasy: 3
Dungeons the Dragoning: 3
Eclipse Phase: 3
Mindjammer: 1 (the stripper ninja part would be weird)
Mutants and Masterminds: 3
Nobilis: 3
Exalted: 3
WoD and DFRPG: 1 (...ok maybe 2 if you make the ninja part work with supernatural powers and drawing upon japanese folklore but strippers? ok maybe 2 if you count vampires going to night clubs where there are lesbians that cater to lesbians. but all putting stripper and ninja together? naaaah.)
Legends of the Wulin/Tian Xia: 3
Rocket Age: 1 (again stripper ninja part would be weird)
Star Trek Adventures: 1 (also stripper ninja part would be weird)

I like this system actually. really puts it in perspective what games I can count upon to allow me to play whatever thing I want, cause I can come up with some pretty niche and weird concepts.

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Most Super Hero games
PSM=3
LSN=2.5 not because it is difficult or anything, just overdone.

Matthias W

golden shoveler
Validated User
In the interests of science, I propose making these axes "Psychic Weresnake Wizard" and "Billionaire Stripper Ninja." Otherwise the 0=>1 transition captures something very different than the 1=>2 or 2=>3 differences. A man isn't really conceptually already a third of the way towards being a psychic snake man, and a lesbian isn't already a third of the way towards being a lesbian stripper ninja.

Tricksy and False

Social Justice Murderhobo
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In the interests of science, I propose making these axes "Psychic Weresnake Wizard" and "Billionaire Stripper Ninja." Otherwise the 0=>1 transition captures something very different than the 1=>2 or 2=>3 differences. A man isn't really conceptually already a third of the way towards being a psychic snake man, and a lesbian isn't already a third of the way towards being a lesbian stripper ninja.
This all sounded very scientific until I read psychic wizard. Preposterous!

Toothsome

Banned
Validated User
I used the Psychic Snake Man Index when I bought a house last year. It never occurred to me that I could apply it to gaming as well.

LuciusAlexander

PalindromedaryRider
Validated User
So, I was amazingly bored at work today, and I came up with the following entirely useless game rating system:

A game's Psychic Snake Man index is determined by thinking about what parts of "psychic snake man" would feel inappropriate as a character pitch for the game. The game gets a point for each part of that concept thatdoesn't feel weird.

A similar (but quite different) concept is the Lesbian Stripper Ninja index.

Looking over my collection, I think Night Witches "scores" the lowest for both (it has a PSM of 0 and a LSN of 1), while the highest scorer is Monsterhearts (PSM of 3 and LSN of 2) or Apocalypse World (PSM of 2 and LSN of 3). A conversation with one of my coworkers revealed that, while D&D has a PSM of 2-3 (it starts at 2, peaks at 3 during 3.x, then shrinks back down to 2 afterwards), his settings have a PSM of 1 (no psychic powers and no snake-men).

Anyone want to share ratings of their own? Issues with my highly scientific system? Any additional rating systems in the same vein?
There's the Elven Cyborg Cowboy index

The Jedi Vampire Elf index

The Vatican Warlock Assassin index, aka the Chucky Shine index

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary index

MrTim

Validated User
There's the Elven Cyborg Cowboy index

The Jedi Vampire Elf index

The Vatican Warlock Assassin index
How about a game where the PCs consist of a Lesbian Stripper Ninja, a Psychic Snake Man, an Elven Cyborg Cowboy, a Jedi Vampire Elf, and a Vatican Warlock Assassin? That could be a viable set of concepts for a high powered Shadowrun game using lots of sourcebooks, although they sound a little magic-heavy.

Top Bottom