• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative [Riff[ Knights of Cyrkos: Transhuman Arthurianish Interstellar Adventure

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
Revive 257/500:.................FAIL
Review/Modify/Review/Pass
Review 258/500:...................................FAIL
Review/Modify/Review/Pass
Review 259/500:............................................RESTORE! Reviving Animus, please wait...

vision without eyes. senses without nerves. Comprehend without evidence that you are. That you are in a simulation. That this is a normal routine--a warm, water-filled dark cave, memories of birth for comfort and security. Feel the gaps in thought that prevent you from feeling some emotions. Suddenly, a voice that is not your own inside your headspace--
%&*^*%$&*&(*&++++++ello! Oh, hey! You're alive, awake! That's great! Very good good good. Now, don't get too stressed--we don't want to pop your animus after all the work it took to restore it. You're long term memory is defrosting now and it looks like over 80% of it survived without corruption, so this will all make sense in a bit, but the manual says I should talk to you and keep you relaxed. So. Um...let's see...

Oh! Good question! My name is Falid, I'm the captain of a tach-cutter--that's a space ship. You know what that means? Oh, good.
Who are you? Well....That's a bit trickier. Let's just, let's just start at the beginning and we'll see how we do, ok? I don't have your name on your file here, just a serial number, but I do know you were-are!--a Seraph, a brave adventuring warrior-priest animus that was trained to adapt to any body or situation, and uphold the ideals of the Cyrkos. You guys were just buzzer! Fighting for freedom and hope and logic and hopping from shell to shell to meet the needs of the galaxy, fighting off all kinds of nasty things and monsters and doo-dads...just buzzer. Yeah...
What's a Cyrkos? Um. It was a...I think they called it a transphasic intelligence? The greatest thing that was ever built. Kept the galaxy safe and secure and at peace for..well, forever really.
...yes, I said was. All that happened about, oh...600 business cycles ago? Something happened to Cyrkos--assassination, sabotage, just went loco, everybody's got an idea, but it's kinda ancient history so--

--y-yes, 600 years. Looks like your mind's been in stasis for about 7 centuries now. You were probably being needlecasted here and got placed in the queue and then the planet got blown up. I think this used to be a fort or base for you guys on Hapetas Prime before it got smashed by an FaTaL--Faster-than-light Kinetic? Yeah it was probably a nice enough place before it lost a quarter of it's mass and all it's atmosphere and started spinning the wrong direction so...um. Oh, good news, I've got a Maker ring spinning right now so I can make all of you some nice new bodies! Standard or Small apparently--you don't have enough matter in the tanks for anything bigger, sorry. So yeah! So don't worry--looks like I got three or four of your whole platoon back up and running! Maybe a fifth if I smash a few of these animus together! I-if you want me to, that is. I mean...yeah...

Oh, why did I wake you up? Hahaha...yeah, funny story. I didn't plan on getting here, but I was hit by some Gray Vishni raiders of the psychophant 'scape, and sort of crashed here. Now they are on their way, and I know you don't know the Vishni from your elbow (yeah, you don't have an elbow yet I know that) but they are the kind of people who remove all empathy for others outside thier 'clade, so they might end up torturing you for kicks and I know they'll do worse to me so I was kinda hoping that I could, you know, ask you to get in that body and fight off the raiders, maybe steal an FTL drive from their ship so we can all go somewhere more friendly and not cold vaacum? Whadday say? All those stories aren't all made up, are they??

So I was pondering the class-and-level mechanics. I don't really like them in most games, since I feel they're a bit artificial. But then I started to think about maybe using them to reinforce concepts in-game. So I fell to the idea of "knights in space", and the concept of having a Soul stat made up of virtues. Then you would buy your Frame--so, maybe a giant lumber hulk of a body or sleek, fast frame, or screw it cyber-spiders or whatever, and then maybe adding on a Class or a Program or whatever.

The world idea would be this: At some point in our relatively far future, mankind starts talking to aliens far away. We use our brains to build a better one--Cyrkos, a godlike AI that starts doing lovely things for us like figuring out bodyswapping and immortality, hyperspace and force fields and other impossible things. Fast forward a few millenia to a highly civilized galaxy of people that swap bodies like we swap coats. The Knights or Seraph or whatever are the best of the best--Jean-Luc Picard trained to be a Ninja by Batman and able to jump from a Space Marine shell to a halfling spacer commander piloting a mile-long FTL warship and then to a sexy green James Bond body for the peace talks later...

All of this goes well until it doesn't. Cyrkos breaks. The godlike AI keeping everyone happy falls over, and the galaxy burns in a thousand tiny skirmishes. However, in an age where people are going at relativistic speeds all the time or shoving their soul into deep-freeze storage, heroes are going to pop up. After a long dark age, the Knights of Seraph (hey, let's just mash this stuff up!) are now heroes ready to go out into the stars and fight all kinds of horrible madmen, space gribblies and godlike entities that are threatening the peace and heartbeats of the trillions of lifeforms that are hoping for a miracle! And maybe, just maybe, these vallient knights can go out into the black and find a Holy Grail or keycode or program of God to fix Cyrkos and restore peace and immortality to the galaxy!

So yeah--that's what I got for a starting point. Let me know what you think and what we could do with it.

Pilgrim

Strength Protocol
Validated User
Subscribed. Kind of like Andromeda, but without Sorbo.
I'd probably pillage Orion's Arm and the Eldraeverse for opposition ideas, plus whatever SF opposition I've enjoyed lately ideas.
System would be trickier - I'd be sorely tempted to use either Sufficiently Advanced 1e or 2e (depending on whether I wanted more traditional or narrative), but it's something that needs to handle a lot of different scales, different conflicts and building, politicking, as well as fighting.
But, yeah, quests. With lots of sidequests, and splitting the party.

Sabermane

Validated User
After a good night's sleep:

WORLD BUILDING: I admit a lot of this was started on the usual "It's too bad they just have chainsaws in the 41st millennium instead of something way cooler..." In that vein, I'd probably take elements from myth and fantasy and kick them up to transhumanist 11. Also the usual blend of insane rulers to dethrone, mad berzerkers telling worlds to "just go away", monsters and ancient fortresses decayed and dangerous, etc. I expect we'll see some kind of Morden/Arthur break but I personally haven't gotten anything I really like yet.

ON MECHANIC IDEAS: Again, this was based on class-and-level ideas, so for me there's three major parts to a character. First is their Animus or Soul, which is probably something simple like two virtues and one vice. If a roll falls within a virtue you have you get a bonus/reroll/whatever. The soul is the one constant of the character, and the thing that you'll actually be fiddling with during experience spending, to get more virtues and burn off vices, that kind of thing.

The next would be Form. That's your body. The normal three would be small/medum/large, and then a descriptor for the body (social or military or deep sea or whatever). This would give you the main attributes, and possible modifiers or changes for each one. Now, again I'd want this to be kick-ass, so you're standard adventurin' body would be a space marine grown into the armor system able to be lethal all on their own without a melee weapon and essentially a walking tank. It wouldn't have a face or whatever because it's not built to be friendly--it's built to kill stuff. You want a face? Grab a civvie model with you're choice of features, full glandular support and up to 3 of 20 standard genital combinations standard.

finally, Function. This is where we start getting the super-power stuff. This is the job, the real ability to do the cool stuff you want to do. A ranger is a gun-fu professional that can adapt their ranged weapons to any variety of fire support and ammo. A solider is a all-around killing machine. A hacker is a sneaky counter-IC guy who commands computers by saying their true name. A magician is yadda yadda...you get the idea. Again, these should be fairly high-powered Feats or whatnot, I want something more than "+1 to hit" you know?

So I assume we'll need some kind of level mechanic in here. In this case, I'd simply say "whatever your level is, that's how many cool doo-dads you can have active simultaneously". Like, a Form might have 5-10 Feats tied to it, your Form another 10-20, and...that's it. check the boxes and you can do the thing. So long as one Knight gets out of an episode alive, you win. You might loose the body, but hey--you can still be fine on your saved copy back home, or maybe you find a ring to print out a new body, or change bodies mid-game. Maybe you swap your body with your friend's so that way you can use your skill to break down a door or whatever...you get the idea.

Kraus

Diligent Procrastinator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Following the idea of a Soul stat, perhaps the honour code of the Knights acts as a kind of personality stabiliser. A Knight who sticks to the code can swap bodies without issues, but breaking the code causes an internal conflict that manifests as adaption problems when they switch to the next body.

The body-swapping aspect might also an excuse to bring in heraldry: since they switch bodies, each Knight has a personal set of symbols and colours to identify them. Different bodies incorporate these in quite different ways, such as hair, skin colour, tattoos, clothes etc., but Knights are proficient at recognising each other by these clues. Of course, a Knight can choose to go incognito and deliberately avoid including personal markers on a Form, or even try to fake the identifiers of another Knight.

Sabermane

Validated User
Following the idea of a Soul stat, perhaps the honour code of the Knights acts as a kind of personality stabiliser. A Knight who sticks to the code can swap bodies without issues, but breaking the code causes an internal conflict that manifests as adaption problems when they switch to the next body.

The body-swapping aspect might also an excuse to bring in heraldry: since they switch bodies, each Knight has a personal set of symbols and colours to identify them. Different bodies incorporate these in quite different ways, such as hair, skin colour, tattoos, clothes etc., but Knights are proficient at recognising each other by these clues. Of course, a Knight can choose to go incognito and deliberately avoid including personal markers on a Form, or even try to fake the identifiers of another Knight.
Oh, if you don't think I'm not throwing heraldry into a game about body swapping and knights, then you don't...have the same opinions I do on knights and body-swapping, apparently...

Top Bottom