• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[riffy] What if Cthulhu is really just misunderstood, and you are his secret agent?

Re: [riffy] What if Cthulhu is really just misunderstood, and you are his secret agen

I think the idea gets especially cool if it is difficult to communicate directly with the Big C.

He sends messages in dreams and visions, and terrifying whispers. So you have to do a little interpetation. More direct contact means more madness, so they rely on a psychic preist cast, artists and drug users to try to extract the data. Sorta like the Doyle visions from Angel, but not as easy.

I also like the idea that, while benevolent, C-Daddy is alien and will occasionally (like Friend Computer) offer gifts that are useful, but terrifying. After all, the cold would not bother you so much if you were one of the walking dead.

I also like the idea of using some of the tools out of the Laundry books which appear to be about half way there already.

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
Re: [riffy] What if Cthulhu is really just misunderstood, and you are his secret agen

This reminds me of my favorite campaign twist from the Werewolf Storyteller's Handbook: the Garou are servants of Dragon, the force of change imprisoned and distorted by the Weaver. The Garou accept Dragon's gifts, which, while powerful, have a horrible distorting effect on their recipients' bodies and minds. But it's up to the werewolves to restore the balance among the cosmic forces, so they make the sacrifice gladly.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User

I also like the idea that, while benevolent, C-Daddy is alien and will occasionally (like Friend Computer) offer gifts that are useful, but terrifying. After all, the cold would not bother you so much if you were one of the walking dead.
...See, I can't imagine playing a character in this that wouldn't pause for a moment of thought, then ask "what are the drawbacks?"

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User

My Trail of Cthulhu campaign is Akeley's Angels, riffing on Mission: Impossible and Charlie's Angels, where the Investigators have unwittingly become agents run by the transhumanist Henry Wentworth Akeley for the Mi-Go.

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User

How would Nice Cthulhu get on with Nyarlathotep and his pawns? I find it quite hard to imagine a humanity-friendly version of him, and he's a scary adversary.
He's probably still an adversary, though not necessarily for the reason you'd think.

If you look at the way that Nyarlathotep is depicted in the stories (as opposed to the RPG supplements), he's not really inhuman, per se. He can think in human terms and interact with humans without driving them mad just fine, his motives are generally quite straightforward, and while his thousand masks are often big and scary, they're not particularly mind-warping.

Y'see, Nyarlathotep isn't dangerous because he's alien. He's dangerous because he's an asshole.

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User

"What? No. I don't want to witness the weird spawn of humanity dance on the shattered remnants of once-glorious cities! That would be morbid.

"I mean, sure, weird spawn of humanity and shattered cities are part of my tasks for this quarter, but they're not end goals! Goodness. Look, humans evolved in a very limited environment. We've got poor radiation resistance, idiosyncratic Mason cortex development, no pressure-compensation carapaces at all. If the atmosphere were stripped off tomorrow, or the Sun completed its current transition into a Third Dreaming band, our brains would just explode in one of a dozen different and hideous ways. I think you can agree that we've been very lucky so far, but luck is no basis for a sensible genome/surgical policy.

"As for the cities, well, they're nice - I'm not the only one who loves the Chrysler building - but they're just not going to work for much longer. The health risks, the transport densities... we're working on a protoshoggoth reactor right now, actually, which we're hoping will form the basis of a series of high-altitude mini-communities. Small towns at the top of mountains and hills. The altitude is necessary to maintain exomatter stability. There was a dreadful failure at the first testing facility, the protomass went biological and had to be put down after it ate three brave volunteers. We learned the hard way to keep the exomass well above median sea level. But we're confident we can have free power and atomic-scale accurate manufacturing within the decade.

"And I think that's worth dancing about."

CowboyEnergy

Validated User

He's probably still an adversary, though not necessarily for the reason you'd think.

If you look at the way that Nyarlathotep is depicted in the stories (as opposed to the RPG supplements), he's not really inhuman, per se. He can think in human terms and interact with humans without driving them mad just fine, his motives are generally quite straightforward, and while his thousand masks are often big and scary, they're not particularly mind-warping.

Y'see, Nyarlathotep isn't dangerous because he's alien. He's dangerous because he's an asshole.
This. He's Handsome Jack as an Outer God.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User

"What? No. I don't want to witness the weird spawn of humanity dance on the shattered remnants of once-glorious cities! That would be morbid.

"I mean, sure, weird spawn of humanity and shattered cities are part of my tasks for this quarter, but they're not end goals! Goodness. Look, humans evolved in a very limited environment. We've got poor radiation resistance, idiosyncratic Mason cortex development, no pressure-compensation carapaces at all. If the atmosphere were stripped off tomorrow, or the Sun completed its current transition into a Third Dreaming band, our brains would just explode in one of a dozen different and hideous ways. I think you can agree that we've been very lucky so far, but luck is no basis for a sensible genome/surgical policy.

"As for the cities, well, they're nice - I'm not the only one who loves the Chrysler building - but they're just not going to work for much longer. The health risks, the transport densities... we're working on a protoshoggoth reactor right now, actually, which we're hoping will form the basis of a series of high-altitude mini-communities. Small towns at the top of mountains and hills. The altitude is necessary to maintain exomatter stability. There was a dreadful failure at the first testing facility, the protomass went biological and had to be put down after it ate three brave volunteers. We learned the hard way to keep the exomass well above median sea level. But we're confident we can have free power and atomic-scale accurate manufacturing within the decade.

"And I think that's worth dancing about."

Yeees.

I might rob some of my fave bits of Cthulhutech - the monster shapechangers. Agents are granted an Evolved Tranhuman Form they can assume. These are prototype posthuman physiologies they are field-testing as part of their mission. If they fall to the enemies of Posthumanity, then they were clearly not the right forms for future-man to assume.

Hmmm... I made that Zordon reference earlier as a joke, but you know what...

Go Go Cthonic Rangers?

I could use M&OCT...

Anybody buy that if I wrote it?

-B

CowboyEnergy

Validated User

I would. GO TENTACLED MONSTROSITIES! GO SAVE THE CHILDREN!

Ghola

Deltahedron
Validated User

I would play the hell out of this.

Top Bottom