• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Rift's being player centric?

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Val.S at 2005-12-27 09:40:00
Converted from Phorums BB System

Not really seeing how Rifts is particularly more player-centric than most other RPG's.

Rift's is good for it's players more for having not bothered with defining the universe beyond broad strokes than for facilitating the players as movers and shakers by design.

There are no drama points or similar which 'actively' foster player-driven/inspired twists to the story for example. Wether they actually have any say is entirely up to whoever is GMing.

A lack of active limitations (or particular care on that score) is not the same as positively facilitating something. How much can the PC's affect the Metaplot of the War with Tolkeen campaign books? Not much more than those dragon for president things you mention...

Having no well defined themes that the players can grasp onto to truly propel themselves deeply into character and 'world' can, depending on player's preference, also be considered a weakness.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Sergio Mascarenhas at 2005-12-27 20:59:02

"There are no drama points or similar which 'actively' foster player-driven/inspired twists to the story for example"

Which are not consensual. I'm one of those that really can't stand these kind of devices that force players to act as players instead of playing in-character. IMO they are detrimental to role-playing.

Sergio

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Ross Winn at 2005-12-28 07:09:59

I have to agree with Sergio on this one. I think a lot of those mechanics do nothing for the roleplaying experience.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Val.S at 2005-12-28 09:21:50

That's fine. I wasn't particularly championing the drama points cause, they got a mention solely because they are an example of giving the player a clear measure of influence over the game.

If we can get back to the actual point of my post, can you please define for me what it is about RIFTS that you find particularly different from the vast majority of RPG's out there which makes it such a great example of 'player centric' game design?

'Cause whilst I love the 'everything & the kitchen sink' smorgasboard of idea's that Rifts encompasses I'm just not seeing this 'player empowerment' over NPC's and Meta-plots.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Roland at 2005-12-28 10:19:03

Bet that as it may (I my self have no problems with most of these mechanics and do not regard immersion and in-character action as the great goal of roleplaying), how is Rifts more player centric than other games?

And if it really is, is this the reason of it's continuing sucess? The appeal of Rifts for me has always been the superheroic action, combined with the "frontier" character of the setting. Add that to a wide range of color and you got a teenage boy's dream universe.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Jerry D. Grayson at 2005-12-29 17:10:32

I’m not sure if this is what Ross meant but I think its player driven in several ways. The splat books don’t cater solely to the GM and most books are bought by the players. Back in the day when I played and rand Rifts almost all the players had their favorite book with the OCC that appealed to them most. Rifts makes books for the player and for the GM second. Sure there are bits for the GM in the splats but a majority of the books deal with cool new things the players can do or use.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Ross Winn at 2005-12-30 06:50:09

That and the fact that there are no "Super NPCs" that are not possible with the character generation rules, and no onverarching story to squash individual games.

Jamie Herbert

Retired User
Probably the easiest way to get the effect you are talking about with out drama points, torg like cards or some other form of bennies. is a system like the savage worlds plot point idea. Basically the book has a collection of scenarios the first of which the players must start with, after that you let them loose on the universe. if they follow hints in the first module. So in the case for rifts the first module might have the players take down a coalition convoy to help out a small town, and amoung the wreckage, they find plans for the attack on Tolkeen. Then if the players go to warn the Tolkeen, there you are, otherwise you can go on looting the vampire kingdoms or searching out ley lines. that's once they go to tolkeen there are probably more hints that bring you further on to the metaplot or allow them to continue on their merry way. in short the metaplot is played by the players in a proactive way rather than having huge NPCs save the world or become important to the game.

Top Bottom