[Rifts+] Revised sourcebooks - worth looking for the originals?

Behemoth

a cache of old photographs in a trunk
Validated User
Once again I find myself on the verge of buying Rifts books (yes, I know, it's terrible. And I love it for that). I'm aware that there are more than a few 'Revised and Expanded' versions of various books, and that these revisions can result in entirely different books - for example, I have both the original and revised versions of the Conversion Book and they are actually pretty different. I've got the original Sourcebook one because I heard somewhere (probably here) that the revised edition wasn't as good, for example.

I'm looking at the Vampire Kingdoms book, and while there are a lot of second hand original Vampire Kingdoms books floating about in the aether, there's also the new version. What I'm interested in is does the new version leave anything from the original book out? I would prefer the original material over later stuff (and the post 2000 metaplot) but I like shiny new books.

Also; the Federation of Magic book. I'm assuming that the revised version is post siege of tolkeen metaplot - is this the case (Because if so, I'm going to have to track down an older version. I love Rifts, but the Tolkeen stuff/CS love is not my cup of tea)

My primary interest is in the world building/gonzo kitchen sink fun - I'm not planning on running/playing a game any time soon so page after page of gear/occs/rccs are not as interesting as setting fluff and kewl ideas.

Weisenheim

Baroque Space Orc Mage
Validated User
I owned the originals back in the day but haven't looked at the revised versions to see what has changed, so I'm kind of in a sideways situation here. Hence I am interested also.

gtroc

Jacob Possin
Validated User
I did a read through a while back and I recall that Vampire Kingdoms has 40 pages of extra stuff in it, but I cannot remember if it is good stuff or not. Vampire Kingdoms was very hit and miss with a lot of it anyway. the original goes over Vampire strengths and weaknesses like three times in the book, and aside from the Circus rules I found it to be mostly bland and uninteresting. Sorry I can't be more help, but whatever was in those extra 40 pages just did not stick with me.

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
Nothing wrong with this, I just dropped a ton of trade-in value on snatching up the Nightbane line, and I'm half an impulse away on grabbing Heroes Unlimited 2nd ed.
It's ok to like what you like. No excuses needed.

Behemoth

a cache of old photographs in a trunk
Validated User
I did a read through a while back and I recall that Vampire Kingdoms has 40 pages of extra stuff in it, but I cannot remember if it is good stuff or not. Vampire Kingdoms was very hit and miss with a lot of it anyway. the original goes over Vampire strengths and weaknesses like three times in the book, and aside from the Circus rules I found it to be mostly bland and uninteresting. Sorry I can't be more help, but whatever was in those extra 40 pages just did not stick with me.
That's interesting, if it's extra rather than different stuff then I'm definitely toying with the idea of getting the revised edition just for funsies - I do actually have the PDF of the original but I like physical objects that I can own and sit on like a dragon.

Nothing wrong with this, I just dropped a ton of trade-in value on snatching up the Nightbane line, and I'm half an impulse away on grabbing Heroes Unlimited 2nd ed.
It's ok to like what you like. No excuses needed.
I know, I just think I'm funny.

Top Bottom