• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Riot Quest] After the end of the Iron Kingdoms we lightened up a bit...

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Related tangent: while hardly scientific or mathy, I did post on PP's forum if the RQ folks were going to find homes in any army lists. Got two responses so far:

The ones we've seen so far seem interesting rather than particularly powerful. Some of them may have a role in some armies (such as Bella in a Talion army), but most of them don't give me the feeling that I need to get them into my armies at the expense of something that has been established to be strong.

One exception to this is probably Widget in Irregulars. Having a decent Repair model who is highly mobile and also has Ancillary Attack for a lowly cost of three points feels like a real bargain. She is surprisingly strong at whacking with her wrench, too, and her high SPD lets her grab flags or similar in late game.
I've only used Dreyfus so far, and he has the benefit of being free in Storm Division. He didn't do much, but I faced one list that shot him off the table and another that kept him from getting to a target. I want to try him more with, say, Stryker2 where he can really bring some pain.

I have a few concepts with Eiryss4 as well, since I like the idea of extra mobility for Kaelyssa, Garryth (mostly 2), or random strike force models. Plus with Ossyan's feat Fortune Hunter is scary.

J.A.I.M.S. is a pretty good solo hunter for CoC, so that helps them too.

Bamfist is a decent supporter for Mercs, if you're running 'jacks in Irregulars or Hammer Strike. (Empower is good!)

I feel like the ones with Partisan (or straight Faction like Dreyfus) are slightly stronger in that regard, though, since they don't waste the merc slot and are usually free.

gribble

Validated User
Tangents are fun. We get into them even on the fighter's thread :D
Well, if you insist... :)

Model customization is actually a negative for me. Too many decisions. Gear decisions (on a stat sheet, not the model) is cool though.
Yeah, sorry, when I said "model customisation" I didn't mean the physical models - though like most minis games that is possible if it's your thing. I meant that you assign gear (and occasionally additional abilities) to models at list construction time. Even better, it comes as cards (for both gear and abilities), so a) it's really easy to do; and b) you have all the stats there on the card for you to reference in play.

Not actually a Fallout player. Post Apocalypse isn't really my thing, nor are open-world games. I do like hearing about the games for ideas, but don't actually want to play.
That's certainly a fair reason not to like it. I may not be a fan of RQ, but I certainly don't begrudge its existence. Not every game is for everyone, so the more games the merrier.

If I was going to criticise F:WW (like I said, it's among my top two games), I'd say the worst things about it are:
1) The level of complexity. It's a fairly detailed game - it handles all sorts of stuff from the usual skirmish game things in a reasonably detailed way, as well as lock-picking and computer hacking; battlecry (sort of an intimidation effect on a charge some characters have); "character" and leader abilities; (multiple types of) random events during the game; opponent A.I.; and downtime settlement building. So if you're after a very simple/basic game like Monsterpocalypse (and it sounds like RQ) or Warcry, then it probably isn't for you. That being said, despite the complexity I've found it plays very fast and smoothly, in large part because of:
2) The fact that everything is symbol based. It takes a couple of games to really get familiar with the layout and design of the cards and dice, and what all the symbols and colours mean, though once you do it becomes very intuitive. If you prefer working from numbers, tables and text, again it's probably not your game.
3) Obviously the setting. If you're not a Fallout fan, then it's probably also not for you (though if you are, it's a very faithful recreation of the feel of the setting and computer games).

That being said, I really like the way they have implemented most of the complexity. Things like area attacks, scatter, cover, shooting into melee, armour, etc are all present, and mostly done in a really nice and elegant fashion.
For example, shooting into melee. You get a +2 to hit (around 10-20% more likely to hit, depending on who is shooting), because you're targeting a larger group of people, but you roll randomly to see who is actually hit using a special dice. It is a d12 with values from 1-4, but it has more 1s than 2s, more 2s than 3s, etc. 1 is your original target, then you assign 2+ to other targets engaged in the melee based on proximity to the original target, looping back through the numbers if there are less than 4. So with two models in melee, odd numbers (1 and 3) will hit your original target, even (2 and 4) will hit the other target in the melee. With three models, 1 and 4 will hit the original target, 2 will hit the other target closest to the original target, and 3 will hit the remaining target in the melee. Etc. Because the dice used to determine who is hit is not normally rolled as part of an attack, you can roll it all together, minimising the amount of time spent fiddling around with dice.
It sounds kind of complex, but in play it's actually very fast and intuitive, and the probabilities mean most of the time it will behave how you expect (i.e. the original target is always most likely to be hit, and closer targets are a little more likely to be hit). There are lots of nice touches like that in the rules that I'm really a fan of.

If I was going to sum up what I like about the game, I'd say: 1) The narrative nature of the game - it really is a RPG/skirmish game hybrid (much like the computer game is a FPS/RPG hybrid) - and that is right up my alley; 2) The system really is very different from other games (kind of how different Aristeia is), and really nicely done; and 3) I love the setting. :)

gribble

Validated User
Furthering the tangent, how is Fallout as far as having a campaign element, compared to, say, Necromunda?
Perhaps I should start another thread...
I haven't yet had an opportunity to play with the campaign stuff, but it seems to be handled in one of two ways: either a series of linked scenarios, where the outcomes of one scenario feed into future scenarios and each provides caps to improve your force; or in a more free-form "settlement mode".
The latter would be closest to Necromunda, where you build a settlement and initial force using a caps budget, and then various parts of your settlement give you further options in terms of gear and abilities that you can later purchase. The settlement also determines which found items you have the capacity to keep and re-use between battles. It all seems pretty cool and very Fallouty, but as I said I haven't yet had an opportunity to put it on the table.

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
A new thread for Fallout might be more appropriate. :)

Any sort of campaign mode for riot quest?

How is the component quality? As much as I like WM/H, PP sometimes takes some bummer shortcuts on their box games (like the Undercity board, or the CoI manuals, which appeared to have been printed on an office printer...).

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I notice that OGO isn't as active as VGO, but I bet we've got a LOT more lurkers. Starting a thread on Fallout might be great! I think there's definite interest in campaign games too.

Today's dev chat has The Butcher, The Wolf with No Name, and Captain Crawtooth plus their gear cards. Someone took screenshots :)

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Any sort of campaign mode for riot quest?

How is the component quality? As much as I like WM/H, PP sometimes takes some bummer shortcuts on their box games (like the Undercity board, or the CoI manuals, which appeared to have been printed on an office printer...).
No campaign mode. It seems to be a quick playing arena game at this time like Aristeia or Warhammer Underworlds.

The miniatures are nice. I was expecting plastic but got metal for everything except for Sir Dreyfus' shield and its arm. Assemble easy too. Tokens are die-cut cardboard/cardstock (maybe 1mm thick?), and the manual is small, short, and seems nice enough. I'd prefer it if it was bigger for my middle-age eyes, but oh well. Dice are nice. Cards are good, and color coded on the back. Map is fold-out on a heavy text weight paper, glossy, but after playing Aristeia on the neoprene mat they just came out with? Man, I'm getting the neoprene when its available. Supposedly the future maps will all be neoprene.

gribble

Validated User
A new thread for Fallout might be more appropriate. :)
Seems like a plan. I won't start one, because I don't really have much to say... but if anyone has any further Fallout questions, feel free to start one and I'll respond there. :)

Map is fold-out on a heavy text weight paper, glossy, but after playing Aristeia on the neoprene mat they just came out with? Man, I'm getting the neoprene when its available. Supposedly the future maps will all be neoprene.
Curious. I don't mind the Aristeia board (and in some ways prefer it to a bulky neoprene mat, because it's foldable heavy cardstock (like a board game). It's high enough quality that games played on it don't feel bad at all.

But I can understand preferring neoprene to heavy-weight paper. I'm not a fan of the paper maps many games (including RQ and Fallout) come with these days. I suppose they're better than nothing, but it never feels good playing on them. It's great to hear RQ will offer neoprene versions of all the playmats. :)

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Aristeia's board is nice BUT its still fairly big. The Aristeia neoprene mat rolls up nicely - its not super thick.

I do have to wonder if paper maps are more a concession to space than anything. If you're a newbie its not a bad start, but if you're an experienced player chances are you've got stuff (IMO), including terrain and such.

Seems like a plan. I won't start one, because I don't really have much to say... but if anyone has any further Fallout questions, feel free to start one and I'll respond there. :)
Start one. Conversations get started quickly. I'll ask questions too :)

Top Bottom