RIP Gene Wolfe

ShannonA

RPG Historian
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I feel the urge to return to a gate, to the story of a boy drowning beneath a clogged river, not realizing that he's already within the grasp of something larger than he could ever believe.

I can see in my mind's eye a dead, three-legged dog abandoned on a refuse pile, blood slowly seeping beneath a locked door, a man and a figure in armor fighting with roses. I see another man rising with a confused look on his face, to read his diaries; a young priest carefully frying a tomato; an angry young-man in a boat, traveling his new land.

If we are to be denied more books by science fiction's master, then at least what he left us is almost infinitely rereadable, revealing new gifts every time.

(And, here's my dirty little secret: I've never gotten around to reading The Wizard and The Knight, which means I have one last prize of my own.)

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's difficult to say something about such a legacy, as my understanding of it is incomplete, on account of deliberate and artful obfuscation. I can only speak of my experience, which was sufficiently excellent to bend my brow.

Nihtgenga

Actually likes daylight
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Aww. Man. Today just sucks.

Loved his stuff. I may be the only person on the planet that became his fan due to A Devil in the Forest.

Robin Low

Validated User
I may be the only person on the planet that became his fan due to A Devil in the Forest.
That's the only book by him that I've read. I haven't read all the other stuff by him that I have on my shelves because I never have the time to sit down and give it the attention it deserves.

Regards,

Robin

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
I hope someone will produced the annotated Book of the New Sun now; it's one of the few books of fiction that made me feel like I wasn't intelligent enough to read it.

Proteus

Yours Pedantically
Validated User
I hope someone will produced the annotated Book of the New Sun now; it's one of the few books of fiction that made me feel like I wasn't intelligent enough to read it.
Reading it with the Lexicon Urthus to hand comes pretty close to an annotated edition.

The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

The elegant assassin
Validated User
I feel that way about every goddamn Gene Wolfe book I read. If I ever fear that I am becoming hubristic, reading a Wolfe solves that in no time flat.

Top Bottom