• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[RIP] Rick Loomis (was: is unwell)

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just spotted this on Reddit, so I thought I’d signal boost here.
Rick Loomis has been an important part of the game industry for almost 50 years, and now he is in the fight of his life with cancer. Even though he is a US army veteran and qualifies for medicare, Rick's share of the medical bills are now in the tens of thousands of dollars. Please help his family through this terrible time and help keep the legacy of Flying Buffalo going strong.

zanshin

Validated User
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

Rick Loomis, founder of Flying Buffalo, publisher of Tunnels and Trolls, Mercenaries Spies & Private Eyes and much more, has cancer.

He is getting treatment and a Go Fund Me page has been launched to help with the cost of his treatment.

As you can see from my signature, T&T has been a big part of my gaming life. Rick is one of the longest standing publishers in roleplaying, and if you would like to help him, here's the page.

Thanks for reading.

zanshin

Validated User
With Gary Gygax, Steve Arneson and Greg Stafford having left us, Rick is one of the pioneers of early roleplaying still with us. I hope that RPG Netters will feel able to support him and his family at this time.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Guidance:

Merged the two threads and moved this to roleplaying open

Kredoc

Validated User
This is sad news. I had some passing contact with Rick way back when I ran some big computer-moderated play-by-email strategy games. He was always incredibly helpful and friendly.

jcfiala

Code Monkey
Validated User
I knew he had cancer from other sources, before, and got to sign a get-well card at GenCon - it was at the Flying Buffalo booth. It's heartwarming that the campaign started with a goal of $10,000, passed that, reset the goal to $20,000, and now has passed that and has another target of $28,000.

It's deeply frustrating that people have to put their misery on the internet to raise funds for their own care, and to support the people in their lives.

Corvo

Validated User
Thank you for pointing me that gofundme.
I did my duty. Rick helped me in my youth, even if he doesn't knows me.

TheShadow

found the shaved monkeys
Validated User
All the best to Rick. What a legend. Founding a PBM company in 1970(!), publishing the second ever RPG and writing the first ever "turn to paragraph x" solitaire are just some of his credits.

Corvo

Validated User
Just to keep up with the news:
the goal of 28,000 was reached yesterday.
A new goal of 32,000 was set, and it was blew today: 32,775 as I'm writing...

Top Bottom