• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Robosmashers! Trolling for interest, input and possibly play testers.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
Ever since the micromasters line of Transformers, I've often thought of throwing together a wargaming system for the small TFer toys. I'm going to have a go at it here. I welcome input, and would appreciate play testers since I have no gaming group handy right now.

First brainstormings:

D10 system. Compare to target number. Ranged weapons will compare to a range system, and melee weapons will compare HTH skill.

Skirmish system. Up to 10 units per side.

Heavy emphasis on missions, and unit roles. No "Kill all the other guys to win!" stuff.

Scale will assume small toys. About 2" long-ish.

Every unit will have a role (Warrior, Commander, Medic, Scientist, etc.) a mode (Tank, Jet, etc.) and one special ability (Force Fields, Smoke Screens, etc.)

Crazy Funster

Retired User
Ever since the micromasters line of Transformers, I've often thought of throwing together a wargaming system for the small TFer toys. I'm going to have a go at it here. I welcome input, and would appreciate play testers since I have no gaming group handy right now.

First brainstormings:

D10 system. Compare to target number. Ranged weapons will compare to a range system, and melee weapons will compare HTH skill.

Skirmish system. Up to 10 units per side.

Heavy emphasis on missions, and unit roles. No "Kill all the other guys to win!" stuff.

Scale will assume small toys. About 2" long-ish.

Every unit will have a role (Warrior, Commander, Medic, Scientist, etc.) a mode (Tank, Jet, etc.) and one special ability (Force Fields, Smoke Screens, etc.)
Ooh, interesting! I've been developing a small-scale mecha skirmish game of my own and I'd like to see how this boils down.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
Master Table:

Code:
	1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10
1	6+ 6+ 7+ 7+ 8+ 8+ 9+ 9+ 10 10
2	6+ 6+ 6+ 7+ 7+ 8+ 8+ 9+ 9+ 10
3	5+ 6+ 6+ 6+ 7+ 7+ 8+ 8+ 9+ 9+
4	5+ 5+ 6+ 6+ 6+ 7+ 7+ 8+ 8+ 9+
5	4+ 5+ 5+ 6+ 6+ 6+ 7+ 7+ 8+ 8+
6	4+ 4+ 5+ 5+ 6+ 6+ 6+ 7+ 7+ 8+
7	3+ 4+ 4+ 5+ 5+ 6+ 6+ 6+ 7+ 7+
8	3+ 3+ 4+ 4+ 5+ 5+ 6+ 6+ 6+ 7+
9	2+ 3+ 3+ 4+ 4+ 5+ 5+ 6+ 6+ 6+
10	2+ 2+ 3+ 3+ 4+ 4+ 5+ 5+ 6+ 6+
I've organized the table so that equal skill vs difficulty gives a 50% chance to succeed, and there are no automatic sucesses or failures. I'll be using this table for to-hit and damage tests.

mightyspacepope

Retired User
That's an amazing picture.

I'm a huge Transformers fan and I've also considered using my Micromasters as miniatures in a TF game.

I'd be interested to help in any way I can.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
It's coming along, I've got a page full of rough notes that need to be cleaned up, some ideas for mission objectives using a card draw system, and some neat abilities for the roles.

As I work on this, I'm also thinking that with a little tweaking, this might be a decent system for GI Joe figures too. I'll keep that in mind as I'm working.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
I took a few days to muse on how I want stats to work. I'm toying with the idea of letting players construct each unit with a point-buy system. But here are some baseline units.

Code:
Commander-
Skill- Ranged: 6, Fighting: 6
Endurance: 6
Strength: 6
RoboMove: 6"
AutoMove: 9"
Laser Cannon- Damage: 6

Warrior (Gunner)-
Skill- Ranged: 7, Fighting: 5
Endurance: 6
Strength: 4
Robo	Move: 6"
Tank	Move: 7"
Ion Gun- Damage: 7
Tank mode: +1 End, Particle Gun: 8

Warrior (Brawler)-
Skill- Ranged: 4, Fighting: 6
Endurance: 5
Strength: 7
Auto	Move: 9"
Pulsar Gun- Damage: 4

Medic-
Skill- Ranged: 5, Fighting: 4
Laser Rifle- Damage: 4

Scout-
Skill- Ranged: 7, Fighting: 6
Endurance: 4
Strength: 5
Aero	Move: 12"
Phase Gun- Damage: 5

Scientist-
Skill- Ranged: 5, Fighting: 4
Graviton Gun- Damage: 4

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
Wordz.

Code:
Setup

Reccomended battlefield size is 4'x4', with about one third of the surface covered by terrain.
Each player takes a turn placing one terrain piece on the board until all pieces are placed.
Or one player sets up the terrain, and the other chooses which side of the board is their starting area.

After the board is set up, one player draws a Battlefield card.
Follow the instructions on the Battlefield card.

Next, each player draws a Mission card. Each player must complete the objective detailed
on their mission card to win the game.

Gameplay

1. Each player has one command point plus any bonus command points for having
Commander units. See the Commander command point rules.

Each player rolls a d10 for initiative.
Having scout units will add to this roll, see the Scout initiative rules.
The player that rolls highest is the first to activate a unit.

2. The player who won initiative activates one unit.

A unit may make a move action, and an attack action in the same activation.
A unit may first move, and then attack, or it may attack and then move.
A unit does not have to move or attack. It may simply move, or only take an attack action.

A unit may transform once per activation as a free action.
This transformation can take place at any time during it's activation.

Ex.1 A unit may attack, transform and then move.
Ex.2 A unit may move, transform and then attack.
Ex.3 A unit may transform, attack and then move.
etc.

A unit may only transform once during it's activation. It may not, for example,
transform, move and then transform again.

Warrior units may attack twice in the same activation if they do not move.
They may take their attacks at any time during the activation.
Transforming and turning do NOT count as moving for this purpose.
As long as the Warrior unit does not spend any inches of movement, it may attack twice
that activation.

Ex. A Warrior unit may transform, turn 180 degrees and attack twice.

2. Moving a unit.
A unit may move up to it's movement rating in inches.
If a unit will pass through difficult terrain at any point during it's movement,
reduce it's move rating in half. (Round down to the nearest full inch, to a minimum
of 1")
Flying units are considered to be flying over the battlefield. They ignore difficult
terrain, and may not claim cover. A flying unit may end it's movement anywhere, and
is still considered to be flying. Players should avoid ending a flying unit's movement
in a difficult spot to set the model.
A unit in Auto mode that passes through any road terrain at any point during it's movement
may add 1" to it's move rating.

Facing
A unit in Robo or Beast mode may change it's facing at any time during it's turn for a
free action. 

Ex. A robo or beast unit may turn to fire behind it, turn around to move in a different
direction and then choose any facing at the end of it's movement.

A unit in any vehicle mode must pay 1" of movement to turn up to 90 degress in either direction.
A unit in vehicle mode must pay 2" of movement to turn more than 90 degrees.
A unit in vehicle mode may shift up to 45 degrees left or right while moving forward.

Ex. A unit in Aero mode shifts 20 degrees, it must maintain it's current facing, but
moves in a diagonal up to it's move rating 20 degrees from it's starting facing.

3. Attacking.

Facing.
A unit in Robo or Beast mode may attack any target in a 180 degree arc in it's forward
facing.
A unit in any vehicle mode may attack any target in a 90 degree arc in it's forward
facing.
A Tank unit may attack any unit. It's turret is assumed to be able to rotate 360 degrees
to target enemy units.

A unit makes a ranged attack by the player declaring the target.
Measure the range to the target and check to make sure the firing unit has line of sight.
If LOS can 'see' the target, but the target unit is at least 50% in cover, then the 
target unit can claim cover.
The difficulty number is equal to 1 per range band of the weapon, to the target.

Ex. A laser gun has a range band of 5". A unit with a laser gun is firing on a target
20" away. The difficulty number to hit the target is 20" divided by 5", for a total 
difficulty number of 4.

Compare the Ranged Skill of the firing unit to the difficulty number on the master chart.
Roll that number or higher on d10 to hit.

Ex. A unit with a Ranged Skill of 7 is firing at a target with a difficulty number of 7.
The firing unit must roll 6+ on d10 to hit the target.

Cover and concealment.

If the target is in cover, roll to hit as normal. If the hit roll is successful, then 
roll a cover save. A cover save is 6+ on a d10. If the cover save fails, then the target
is hit as normal. If the cover save is successful, then the cover takes the impact, the 
attack ends with the target not hit.

If the LOS of a ranged attack passes through any concealment, a smoke cloud, for instance,
subtract the value of the concealment from the die roll to hit.
Note that a roll of 1 always misses and a roll of 10 always hits, regardless of modifiers.

A smoke marker usually has -4 and -2 to hit modifiers, depending on how long the smoke
marker has been on the board.

Damage.
If the target takes a hit, then compare the Damage value of the weapon to the Endurance
rating of the target, and compare on the master chart.

Ex. A target is hit by a laser gun that does 4 damage. The target unit has an Endurance
of 6. The firing unit must roll a 7+ on d10 to inflict a damaged result.

If the target unit's player has no Medic units in play, then the damaged unit may be removed
from the game.
If the target unit's player has any Medic units in play, then lay the model down.
A Medic unit may use it's ability to revive the fallen unit.
See the Medic repair rules.

A unit may make a close combat attack against any opponent units within 1".
Compare the Fighting Skill of the attacking unit to the Fighting Skill of the target unit.
The Fighting Skill of the target unit is the difficulty number for the attacking unit.

Ex. A unit with a Fighting Skill of 10 attacks a unit with a Fighting skill of 4 in close
combat.
The master chart shows that the attacking unit must roll 3+ on d10 to hit.

If the attack is sucessful, use the Strength of the attacking unit as the damage, and
the Endurance of the target unit as the difficulty number.

Ex. A unit with a Strength of 8 hits a target unit with an Endurance of 6.
The attacking unit must roll 5+ on d10 to damage the target unit.

4. After the unit has completed any move, attack and free actions the player wants it to
take, place a Turn marker by that unit.

5. The next player then activates a unit.

6. Players alternate activating units until all units have a Turn marker.

7. End of turn.
At the end of the turn, remove all Turn markers from the board.
Remove any smoke markers that have a -2 modifier.
Turn over any -4 smoke markers so that they show a -2 modifier.

If any player has completed their Mission objective, they may claim victory.
If both players have achieved their Mission objective, then the game is a tie.
If only one player has completed their objective, then that player is the winner.
Very rough draft of the rules.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
Fishing for ideas now. I'd like to have at least 6 mission types, and 6 Battlefield types, to consider the basic rules complete.

Missions are the objective a side has to accomplish to win. A game is won at the end of a turn, so the other player has a chance to complete their mission before the game ends.

Battlefields are like complications or interesting things. Preferably interactive in some way.

Here's what I've got so far.

Code:
Missions:

Assassin-
Destroy all opponent Commander units to complete mission.

Retrieve-
3 objective markers. One is the item.
Move objective item off starting edge to complete mission.

Breakthrough-
Move at least half total force off of opponent's starting edge to complete mission.

Defend-
Place an objective in your half of the battlefield.
Score one point for every turn that there are no enemy units within 3" of this objective.
Lose one point if there is an enemy unit within 3" of this objective.
Earn 6 points to complete mission.

Attack-
Opponent places an objective in their half of the battlefield.
This objective must be accessible by ground movement.
Objective has End 6 and 3 structure points.
Any attack that scores damage removes one structure point.
Destroy this objective (reduce it's structure points to zero) to complete mission.

Battlefield:

Explosive Canisters-
After setting up terrain, players alternate placing 4 canisters.
A canister may not be placed within 12" of each other, or a unit.
If LOS is traced within 1" of a canister, and the shot misses, roll a d10.
Even result: Nothing happens.
Odd result: Canister explodes.
An exploding canister does Dam: 6 to all units within 3" of the canister.
Remove the canister after resolving all hits.
A canister may intentionally be targeted by a ranged or melee attack.
A melee attack will automatically hit a canister.
Roll d10 as explained previously to see if canister explodes from the hit.

Night Fight-
Double all range difficulty numbers.

Fire Wave-
A wall of intense fire sweeps over the battlefield.
Place a string along one edge of the battlefield.
At the end of every turn, roll a d10. The wave moves this number in inches towards the
opposite table edge.
Terrain, objectives and units that contact the fire wave are incinerated and removed.
Units count as destroyed by the opponent for mission objective purposes.
Objective markers are removed.
If a player has the Retrieve mission, and has not uncovered their objective,
then one of the remaining markers must be the objective.
If a player has the Attack mission, then the objective takes 1 structure point of damage
every turn while it is inside the fire wave. It counts as destroyed if the fire wave
reduces the objective to zero structure points.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
Awfully quiet in here. Perhaps some visual aids will spice up my presentation.

Tinkering around with some toys and terrain to see how it scales. I'm probably going to print out a city grid and glue it to some posterboard for a small game surface. And some bits of cardstock terrain.

The current Legends toys seem pretty good. I wish there were some jets and beast forms though. I should raid the local Toys R' Us and see if they have any of the older Legends packs.

Ruleswise, I'm working on a build system for creating individual units.

Last edited:
Top Bottom