• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Rock Concerts You've Been At!

Mr. Ex Nihilo

Validated User
Never been much for going to concerts, so I don't have a very extensive history...

1987 - U2 on the Joshua Tree tour
1988 - Sting on the Nothing Like the Sun
1989 - REM on the Green tour
1993 - Paul McCartney on the New World tour
1994 - Sting on the Ten Summoner's Tales tour
1997 - The Rolling Stones on the Bridges to Babylon tour (along with Third Eye Blind, Dave Matthews Band and Smashing Pumpkins)
2002 - Green Day and Blink-182 on the Pop Disaster tour
2002 - Garbage and No Doubt co-headlining on the respective Beautiful Garbage/Rock Steady tours
2005 - Green Day on the American Idiot tour
2007 - The Police reunion tour
2015 - Weird Al Yankovic on the Mandatory tour

Now, if you count bands I saw live thanks to them appearing at the various theme parks around town, well....

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
The Smithereens
Jerry Lee Lewis
Foreigner
Kansas
The Beach Boys
KC and the Sunshine Band
Dee Snyder
Pat Benatar
Squeeze
Living Colour
Berlin
Village People
Tiffany
Cindy Lauper
The Hooters

And probably a good handful more I can't remember off the top of my head.
That's a good list. I think the Police would probably be on the top of my list if I had to choose from your list. Although Foreigner, Kansas, R.E.M. and Pat Benatar would probably be on there, too.

Anaguma

Social Justice Fishwife
Validated User
Rush was a great concert! We were standing right up front at the stage level. The light show they had was spectacular!
Rush always put on an amazing show. The only show that was less than spectacular was the tour when they had Mr. Big open for them.

But then Rush made up for it by having Primus on the next tour, so it evened out in the end. ;)

JonA

Semi-retired Mod
RPGnet Member
I’m not a regular concert goer but I think I’ve been lucky that my choices have been good.

Pink Floyd at Earls Court on October 29th 1994. Their last ever full length concert. Absolutely sublime concert.

Marillion at Aylesbury Town Hall in 1997 (can’t remember the exact date) on their This Strange Engine tour. They had a support band but I can’t recall who it was as I missed them. Given how much I love h era Marillion it was a rather lacklustre concert. Like they really didn’t want to be there. Steve Hogarth I know can be very engaging with the crowd but that night he barely spoke to us.

Then a bit of a gap.

Rush at Birmingham NEC Arena on September 11th 2004 on their R30 tour. Absolutely awesome concert. No support act. Came on stage dead on 7.30. Played until 9. Exactly 20 min interval. Then played until 11.15. 32 or so songs. Brilliant light show, top quality sound and the band didn’t put a note wrong. Ticket was £35 too which I though was a bargain. Especially when I then met up in Birmingham city centre with a friend who’d been that night to see Morrissey at the Birmingham NIA. She was saying what a great gig it was after paying £70 and she had Sheryl Crow as a support act (seriously?) from 7.45 to 9.00 and then Morrissey from 9.40 until 11. I know who got the more bang for their buck. Mind you I would pay to see Sheryl - but you couldn’t pay me enough to see Morrissey.

Another gap.

Joe Satriani at Birmingham Symphony Hall on 25th October 2010 on his. Black Swans & Wormhole Wizards tour, supported by Simon Mcbride (who I became a fan of because of that support gig). Cracking, energetic concert by the Satch.

Roger Waters at Birmingham NIA on 27th June 2011 on his The Wall Live tour, no support. Visually and aurally spectacular.

Peter Gabriel at Birmingham NEC Arena on 28th November 2014 on his Back to Front tour. Support was Jenny Abrahamson and Linnea Olsson (Peter’s backing singers and cellist for the tour). A wonderfully intimate and beautiful concert despite being in an arena. Best concert I’ve been to just because it felt like a warm, personal performance where the band embraced the crowd. It felt like a privilege to be there because of the beauty of the performance. Despite it being in a arena with 15,000 others.

Simon Mcbride at the Robin 2 in Bilston (tiny little spit and sawdust place but a rock gig staple) on his Crossing the Line tour in 2015. He had a support act but buggered if I can remember his name. Good bluesy rock gig. Shame there was only about 200 people there and so the place was about half full.

Joe Satriani again at Birmingham Symphony Hall on 5th November 2015 on his Shockwave Supernova tour. Support was Dan Patlansky (meh). Satch hit it out the park on this one. A totally mind blowing concert.

Mr. Ex Nihilo

Validated User
I’m not a regular concert goer but I think I’ve been lucky that my choices have been good.
That's a great list Jon. Joe Satriani and Peter Gabriel are two other acts I would like to see.

When I saw Pink Floyd in 1994 I do not recall seeing Roger Waters with them. I think there was some big dispute going on back then between Gilmour and Waters. I think since that time they resolved some issues. And sadly Richard Wright has since passed away in 2008. But I am not sure if they ever all played together again. If I had a chance I think I would enjoy seeing Waters play, too. His music is very inspirational to me.

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Let me see...

I've been to lots of concerts, but the only one that qualifies for this thread is probably the Barenaked Ladies New Year's Eve show in Buffalo in 1999, when we still thought Y2K might be a thing. ("Don't worry, there are generators in the arena.")

mac40k

Validated User
My list is long and I'm sure there are plenty of shows/artists I've forgotten especially some of the side bands at larger festivals. Trying to put dates to everything, while not impossible, isn't worth the effort. I'll just list some of the bands I have seen live in no particular order.

Black Sabbath (w/Ozzy)
Kiss (multiple times)
Ted Nugent (multiple times)
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
Jethro Tull
Kansas
Grateful Dead (multiple times)
Peter Frampton
Allman Bros. Band (multiple times)
Dickey Betts and Great Southern
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (multiple times)
Heart (multiple times)
ZZ Top
Lynard Skynard (multiple times)
Uriah Heap
Richie Blackmore's Rainbow (w/Dio)
Yes (the Anderson, Wakeman, Howe, Squire, White lineup in '79)
Rush (multiple times)
Triumph
Styx
Van Halen (as the opening act just after the first album came out)
Ronnie Montrose
Journey (multiple times)
Al DiMeola
The Dixie Dregs (multiple times)
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai (multiple times)
Frank Zappa (when Vai was in the band )
Eric Johnson
Linda Ronstadt
Aerosmith (multiple times)
Megadeth (multiple times)
Metallica (multiple times)
Queensryche (multiple times)
Anthrax (multiple times)
Slayer (multiple times)
Iron Maiden
Asia
Jimmy Buffet
Stevie Ray Vaughn (multiple times)
Johnny Winter
Edgar Winter
Arch Enemy (first with Angela and later with Alyssa)
In This Moment (both before and after the lineup change)
Slipknot
Machine Head
Steve Morse Band
Symphony X
Mastodon
Steve Miller Band
Alice in Chains
Black Tide
Disturbed
Dream Theater (multiple times)
Five Finger Death Punch
Huntress
Rob Zombie
Scale the Summit
Shadows Fall
Straight Line Stitch
Trivium
Tom Petty
Stone Sour
Korn
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
Allan Holdsworth
King Crimson
Aerosmith (multiple times)
George Thorogood
B-52s
Fleetwood Mac
The Kinks

and I had tickets to Led Zeppelin in '77, but the show (along with the rest of the NA Tour) was canceled after Plant's son died.

JonA

Semi-retired Mod
RPGnet Member
That's a great list Jon. Joe Satriani and Peter Gabriel are two other acts I would like to see.

When I saw Pink Floyd in 1994 I do not recall seeing Roger Waters with them. I think there was some big dispute going on back then between Gilmour and Waters. I think since that time they resolved some issues. And sadly Richard Wright has since passed away in 2008. But I am not sure if they ever all played together again. If I had a chance I think I would enjoy seeing Waters play, too. His music is very inspirational to me.
Yeah Waters left in 85 rather acrimoniously. Pink Floyd continued on with Gilmour, Mason and Wright releasing A Momentary Lapse of Reason in 1987 and The Division Bell in 1994. Waters filed a lawsuit against the band in 87 to try and stop the Gilmour led Floyd continuing but they settled out of court. They only performed together once more (Waters joining them after burying that hatchet) for Live 8 in 2005.

J. Roberts

Bit Pusher
Validated User

Waters had left the band by that point, and there had already been years of legal wrangling about who got to use the Pink Floyd name, and who could play what songs. IIRC, Gilmour and the rest got the name, but Waters wanted to have exclusive rights to perform The Wall show that they had done in the 70's/80's. Roger Waters did two separate Wall tours in recent years, which I saw both times in Minneapolis. It was by far the most expensive concert ticket I've ever purchased, and it was by far the most incredible concert experience I've ever had. I mean, they literally build a goddamn wall all the way across the stage, complete with a little hotel room in it.

Mr. Ex Nihilo

Validated User
Let me see...

I've been to lots of concerts, but the only one that qualifies for this thread is probably the Barenaked Ladies New Year's Eve show in Buffalo in 1999, when we still thought Y2K might be a thing. ("Don't worry, there are generators in the arena.")
Were the Barenaked Ladies good live? I don't recall hearing of their live stuff. But I love that song Call & Answer.

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Were the Barenaked Ladies good live? I don't recall hearing of their live stuff. But I love that song Call & Answer.
Oh, absolutely. They had a lot of fun energy and interaction with the fans. I'm glad I went.

Top Bottom