• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Rogue Trader] Forge World born Rogue Traders?

Gavin Lucan

Grumpy Old Man
Validated User
So, I'm gearing up for a Rogue Trader based LARP that's starting soon and the idea of a Rogue Trader who born on a Forge World popped into my head and won't leave.

I hadn't thought of playing a actual member of the Mechanicus (I played an Explorator in a previous campaign), but perhaps the last son of a dynasty now a merest flicker of it's former power, who's called upon to restore his family's lost fortune. (Hey, what are cliches for?) What link to the Ad Mech is still determined (I'm meeting with another player about it tonight), but I was thinking some variant on "We'll repair your ship and keep you supplied, so long as you go find that long lost McGuffin for us."

There's a mention in the book of Trader Houses that have signed pacts with the Mechanicus, so it's not out of canon, but I haven't found any examples of it, whether in the RPG or novels. Anyone else know of an example, or something that would help?

Costuming was going to be a mix of Rogue Trader flamboyance and the robes of the Mechanicus, but then my wife pointed out I'd be a try-hard Explorator. :) So, not sure what's happening there yet.

Also, would it be worth picking up The Lathe Worlds book for extra flavour?

Thoughts, comments are appreciated in advance!

Silent Wayfarer

貴様らに名乗&#
Validated User
I think that's the default arrangement for the Mechanicus contingent on any RT vessel; they maintain the ship, and get first dibs on the archeotech that the rest of the crew can't use anyway.

The Lathe Worlds book is very specific to the Lathe Worlds of the Calixis sector, though you can adapt the flavour.

Perhaps your guy is a noble house based on a Forge World, who are used as go-betweens for the Forge World and the rest of the galaxy? It would be easy to get a lordship with Mechanicus backup and maybe the price of that agreement penned in antiquity is that your guy is pretty much the Forge World's mouthpiece/independent agent.

Last edited:

Gavin Lucan

Grumpy Old Man
Validated User
Sounds interesting - thanks for the feedback. The contact is a good idea, it adds an interesting element to play and lots of possible complications.

I'll have a chat with the GM before I buy anything - he's cut down the system a fair bit to make it more accessible for a LARP format (It's a parlour style game, not boffer combat).

Silent Wayfarer

貴様らに名乗&#
Validated User
Remember that as an RT, you cannot go wrong with a fancy hat. In fact, you should try and convert a drone into a flying hat, to represent the scale model Ark Mechanicus hat (with working hellpistol in the front as a lance stand-in) that your character wears. :p

(this is only partly tongue-in-cheek)

Top Bottom