Rokugan d20 vs. L5R RPG

MrIsaka

Hero of Legend
Validated User
Hello everyone,

I would not consider myself a huge fan of L5R, but I do own the two main second edition rulebooks, and have played the game a few times and had lots of fun.

So I was wondering, is AEG going to support L5R anymore? Or are they converting everything to d20?

love,

Isaac

Ashtalkitty

Canadian Gamer Chick
My understanding is...

They are planning to put out several d20 books that have the bulk of the conversion/setting info, and then continue with L5R books, with sections included to translate it to d20.

I think. Don't quote me on that one.

Ashtal

MrIsaka

Hero of Legend
Validated User
i hope so

I sure hope they continue with the "default" L5R rules. I like them a lot better than d20. From what I've seen on the AEG website (the pdf containing the d20 conversion rules), a lot of the things that I liked about L5R (the glory points, the different schools, etc.) are lost completely in the d20 version. and that's a damn shame.

It just seemed like a lot of what gave L5R a cool, Japanese, samurai feel to it has been lost in the d20 version, and has been changed more into D&D set in an oriental world with some kewl ninjas.

love,

Isaac

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
MrIsaka said:

So I was wondering, is AEG going to support L5R anymore? Or are they converting everything to d20?
From a blurb on the AEG site (well it was on the AEG site... I had to dig it out of the Google cache):

The Future

2002?s schedule, then, is of some interest to the fans. What L5R roleplaying products will Wizards produce? Where the heck are the Secrets of the Clans books that were supposed to be coming out in 2001? Will AEG ditch the classic L5R RPG system in favor of d20? Now that AEG has the L5R IP, will we ever see a Legend of the Burning Sands book? I have some answers, and some speculation. I hedge occasionally in the following answers ? keep an eye on the L5RRPGINFO mailing list for updates.

Wizards L5R roleplaying products: They?re doing OA, and it?s likely to be in print for a good long time because the first one was massively popular. But they haven?t announced any other books in the line.

The Secrets books: Planned for 2002, although we haven?t yet announced in what order. Here?s the current (late 2001) theory. They are going to be like the Way of the Clans books; each clan gets one. They?ll bring the clans up to the Gold Edition era, which is where OA and Rokugan are set. There will be hybrid mechanics, so that both L5R RPG players and d20 Rokugan players can use them.

AEG ditching the "classic" L5R RPG system: Probably not. We?re going to see how people like the d20 books, and what their reaction is to the hybridized books. Honestly, though, if the d20 books or the hybridized books sell ten times as many copies as the all-classic books, don?t expect to see many all-classic books.

Burning Sands: This is a possibility. The IP contains LBS, since it was a spinoff of L5R ? much in the same way that Three?s Company begat The Ropers. Still, we?re not being deluged with cards and letters demanding the book, and if we were to produce it, it wouldn?t be out before 2003. It probably would have to wait in line behind the Secrets series, and there are at least eight and probably nine books in that series.

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
Re: i hope so

MrIsaka said:
I sure hope they continue with the "default" L5R rules. I like them a lot better than d20. From what I've seen on the AEG website (the pdf containing the d20 conversion rules), a lot of the things that I liked about L5R (the glory points, the different schools, etc.) are lost completely in the d20 version. and that's a damn shame.

It just seemed like a lot of what gave L5R a cool, Japanese, samurai feel to it has been lost in the d20 version, and has been changed more into D&D set in an oriental world with some kewl ninjas.
It sounds like you haven't given it much of a chance. In fact, I will be so bold as to say that you are takling out of your ass. Some things are obviously different (frex, duels are not nearly as deadly), but the different schools are most definitely there, and there are alterations to move it towards the more political type games that Rokugan can breed. Your "kewl ninjas" jab sounds like an ill-informed preconception that you decided to cling to, to say the least.

That said, as my last post shows, you won't likely have to worry about it. I do think AEG did quite a bang up job, and considering many L5R fans disdain 2e, you may be looking at hybrid products at best. But you will likely see support in some form.

MrIsaka

Hero of Legend
Validated User
Re: Re: i hope so

Sangrolu said:

It sounds like you haven't given it much of a chance. In fact, I will be so bold as to say that you are takling out of your ass. Some things are obviously different (frex, duels are not nearly as deadly), but the different schools are most definitely there, and there are alterations to move it towards the more political type games that Rokugan can breed. Your "kewl ninjas" jab sounds like an ill-informed preconception that you decided to cling to, to say the least.

That said, as my last post shows, you won't likely have to worry about it. I do think AEG did quite a bang up job, and considering many L5R fans disdain 2e, you may be looking at hybrid products at best. But you will likely see support in some form.
Yeah, point taken. I might be talking out of my ass. I was basically basing everything I said by leafing through Oriental Adventures, and reading some of the stuff on the AEG website.

So I'm sorry if I've offended, :)

love,

Isaac

Turbo

Go Play Ninja Fox
Validated User
Having nearly the full run of the L5R RPG products, as well as bock OA and Rokugan, I compare them and note the following:

1) d20 has little or no actual systematic inclusion of Honor for any conflict resolution, missing out on a valuable tool that the d10 version utilizes.

2) The aspect of 'five rings' is lost in d20, with only the void ring remaining de to its non-standard applications. To me, one of the most interesting things about L5R RPG was that it was very close to accurate to the representation by Musashi in their use of the five rings. The game's title means less to me when I look at a d20 character sheet than a d10 one.

3) There is substantially more system support for d10 and the system was designed with the game in mind, using a very dangerous combat style and a duelling system that accurately represented the lethality of duelling with 4-ft straight razors.

4) One of the things that I liked about d20 more than d10 was the freedom of system it gives in technique selection, where you can choose the order of your techniques and personalize your abilities within the school. Clan feats were a great idea that fofilled my reservation regarding maintaining the individuality of the clans.

5) I miss disadvantages being a part of the system in the d20. I enjoy using characters with definable limitations, and having a system for disadvantages gives me support for making three-dimensional characters. I don't get extra skill points for making my d20 bushi deathly afraid of spiders. Now, there is nothing that says that individual Game Masters wouldn't or couldn't come up with compensation in d20, but there is a definite advantage to there being compensation for character flaws in the rules for d10.

6) The 'Exploding Dice' rule of d10 is, to me, far more interesting than the critical hit rule in d20. Exploding Dice are applicable to all rolls, and can lead to chaarcters attaining levels of performance above and beyond mortal capability. to me, that has always been one of the advantages of the Roll and Keep system

7) Ok, I'm done.

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
Re: Re: Re: i hope so

MrIsaka said:

Yeah, point taken. I might be talking out of my ass. I was basically basing everything I said by leafing through Oriental Adventures, and reading some of the stuff on the AEG website.

So I'm sorry if I've offended, :)
Not offended, but saying that there weren't different schools seems like a giveaway that you hadn't really looked at the new Rokugan book with that question in mind. If you only look at OA, you are only getting part of the picture. Any perceived passion in my response may come from the fact I think that AEG did a really good job with D20 Rokugan, simply one of the best setting books for d20.

OA has some Rokugan stuff, which probably made AEG's job easier, but much of it was supplanted. For example, there are slightly tweaked versions of the Samurai and Shugenja in Rokugan and more attention is paid to making the Rokugan feel come through.

(That said, OA has one thing that the D20 Rokugan missed out on: Adventure seeds for each clan!)

MrIsaka

Hero of Legend
Validated User
From what Turbo says, it does seem like they took a lot of what I liked and thought was unique about L5R out of the d20 version. I'm not saying it's not a good sourcebook (because I haven't read it), but it just doesn't sound as neat.

One of the main things in all of my games of L5R was honor "a force more powerful than steel," and if they took that out of the game, well then...I dunno.

But, it seems like I'm whining about nothing, because I'll still be able to get the d10 L5R stuff if I want it.

love,

Isaac

If you go to l5r.alderac.com there's an article somewhere in there called "Whither the L5R RPG?" that answers most of these questions.

Basically, they say that d20 L5R is an effort to reach more gamers, not an abandonment of core fans in favor of drooling D&D fanboys (or whatever your perception may be)... it says that there will continue to be both d20 and "Classic/2e" supplements, or possibly combinations.

Also has something like: "Of course, if the d20 sells like hotcakes, don't expect to see too many "classic only" supplements."

Josh Morrow

Top Bottom