Rokugan d20 vs. L5R RPG

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
If you go to l5r.alderac.com there's an article somewhere in there called "Whither the L5R RPG?" that answers most of these questions.
You mean the one I quoted from extensively in my first response.

(And BTW, the article does not seem to be on the AEG website anymore.)

When you said it wasn't on their site anymore, I assumed it was a different one; "Whither" is on

l5r.alderac.com/rpg/whither_l5rrpg.html

Josh Morrow

(EDIT: I can't do html :( )

Drew

Retired User
I started playing the CCG with the introduction of the Gold storyline. I'm much more likely to buy products that reflect the story I know rather than the stories of the past.

I think a good question would be whether or not AEG will put out a d10 Gold Storyline book, along the lines of d20 Rokugan, to update their base 2nd Ed setting. Sure, they're doing the Secrets books, but that stuff is much more clan specific than a general overview.

Not to be snide, but you say you play the CCG as well? Then what do you need a book for? The CCG is the story, and all the major events can be found in the fiction on the AEG website. (of which there's maybe 10 so far)

The Gold storyline doesn't need a book yet, because nothing has happened: Time of the Void collected everything from the Clan War to the Day of Thunder, which was about 2 years of CCG story-arc. It might be a while before there's enough material to justify another "metaplot" book.

Josh Morrow

Drew

Retired User
Deathlok said:
Not to be snide, but you say you play the CCG as well? Then what do you need a book for? The CCG is the story, and all the major events can be found in the fiction on the AEG website. (of which there's maybe 10 so far)
Well, if I want to play in the world of the Gold Storyline, I may want to be privvy to those behind the scenes happenings that one just can't glean from reading card text. That's just not a good point of reference for running a game, especially if you're playing with non-CCG players.

'Here, read this book' is much more likely to produce a good reaction among prospective players than 'Here, read this website, these selected bits of card-text, and listen to this lecture.' As a newbie to the CCG, I was glad when I could read d20 Rokugan and 'catch up' on all the stuff people around me were talking about, storyline-wise.

There's also the geeky fanboy thrill of seeing how one's favorite card stats out, d10 or d20-wise.

My point was: there are no behind-the-scenes happenings except what you see on a card or in the fiction. If it's not there, it isn't happening. Suspect Doji Kurohito is working out an alliance with the Scorpion? Ok... is it on a card or in the stories on the web? No? Ok then. Its not happening. L5R is funny like that, because the CCG comes first, as far as the story goes. The RPG is there to fill in a few gaps, but the CCG is "cannon."

The story is written to reflect what happens in major tournaments, so the writers don't have a whole lot of leeway in terms of setting up future events/villains. Hence, there's not a lot of "behind the scenes". Hell, there's none, as far as i can tell. The main audience is CCG players, and they want to know what's going on. The RPG information is done a few story-cycles after the CCG, so everything in the RPG is based on stuff that's not secret at all.

You should get all you need from the d20 Rokugan book, as far as background and story, and that book is just a condensed version of the stuff that's free on the AEG website, with some rules thrown in, which you don't need to play d10. If your question is "will they release a d10 equivalent of d20 Rokugan," I'd say no. What seems most likely is that AEG will compile everything into one big story-only book in a couple years. So your options seem to be either do without (and I was pointing out that this is not hard to do at all) use d20 Rokugan, or use the older stuff (which you've said you don't want to do). My money would be on doing without.

Josh Morrow

Drew

Retired User
But RPG books, especially those from AEG, seem to be more than just a 'Story Omnibus' or a 'Who's Who.'

There is also the mechanical ramifications of storyline effects to consider. Say, for wild example, Shiba Aikune decides to starts a school to teach folks how to properly use the Last Wish. That can be a story ramification of many CCG Pheonix players using the LW in their decks and doing well with it. If that information came out for an RPG, d10 or d20, there would need to be a system reflection of the 'Able to use Last Wish' ability (Advantage or Feat, whichever) and rules to judge a character's ability to use that ability successfully.

I'm only really interested in buying L5R books that have something to do with th setting I'm interested in, the setting of the Gold storyline. Part of that is 'rules,' stuff that can't be gleaned from card text or webstories.

Also, it seems that in the new regeme, card players can only make choices as to which path to follow, not forge new ones. For example, in the various Season Of tournies, there is an 'A or B' choice presented to card players based on their clan's success. If the Scorpion out perform the Crane, they get to marry off a Wind or vice versa. Players don't get to come up with the options, they simply get to choose where it's going based on the choices the storyteam sets out.

This is both a Good and Bad thing, but that's another thread entirely.

Tim Ellis

Validated User
Drew said:
But RPG books, especially those from AEG, seem to be more than just a 'Story Omnibus' or a 'Who's Who.'
RPG books from AEG are notorious for what they fail to reveal about the story! THis was always true of the Clan War era RPG setting when they already knew how the story would end, so I can't see why they dhould be able to do it any better while they are still making it up....

I'm only really interested in buying L5R books that have something to do with th setting I'm interested in,

Me too, but unfortunately they will insist on confusing "Setting" with "Story" - and recently, skipping both in favour of pandering to d20 players (although they have given them a lot of information mever revealed before to the RPG players). It seems that if the poor dears go for a couple of months without being able to buy a new d20 Rokugan release they'll all go off in a huff, while we "old Guard" are quite content to sit arouond for 6-8 months waiting for AEG to remember our existence, at which point we'll presumably be expected to ignore the fact that the world has just jumped forwards 30 years...

Also, it seems that in the new regeme, card players can only make choices as to which path to follow, not forge new ones.

That's not new. It's always the way that the CCG influence on the Story worked, maybe they just disguised it better before...

For example, in the various Season Of tournies, there is an 'A or B' choice presented to card players based on their clan's success. If the Scorpion out perform the Crane, they get to marry off a Wind or vice versa. Players don't get to come up with the options, they simply get to choose where it's going based on the choices the storyteam sets out.

This is both a Good and Bad thing, but that's another thread entirely.
In terms of the CCG and the Storyline it's a good thing - You are paying a storyline team to write the story, why would you want to let a load of drooling CCG Fanboys loose to play havoc with it. And particularly given the current storyline team are considerably more tuned in than those responsible for the abomination that was the whole "lets go and kill the moon" rubbish that featured in the previous one, I think we should let them get on with it.

From a RPG point of view it is a bad thing, because on-going storylines written by someone outside of the games GM, leading to a lack of information and the story "springing surprises" on the person trying to write the game can only be a bad thing.

Top Bottom