• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Royalties vs. Word Rates

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Kynn at 2005-10-14 02:20:49
Converted from Phorums BB System

"I'm sure you immediately see that it's more profitable to write a $40 book than it is to write a $20 book. If all other factors were equal, you'd be foolish not to."

...what? How does this make sense at all?

Unless by "all other factors were equal" you mean that you'd write the same amount of content for each book.

Even then, it's not guaranteed -- a $20 book might sell easier than a $40 book.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Karro at 2005-10-14 12:14:32

I think he means exactly that in the article, because he then goes on to discuss the differences in word count--which implies that this is one thing that will probably ~not~ be held equal (but was for the example above).

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by LloydBrown at 2005-10-15 01:06:52

"I'm sure you immediately see that it's more profitable to write a $40 book than it is to write a $20 book. If all other factors were equal, you'd be foolish not to."

Yes, if you had a choice of pitching amanuscript to one publisher for a $40 book project and another choice of a different publisher who wanted to make it a $20 book, that's "all other factors being equal." I was also thinking about things like art quality, binding, and distribution, but that's enough to make the point.

In this industry, prices don't seem to vary by more than about 15% across the board within the same page count & cover stock parameters.

The $20 book might sell better than the $40 book, but it doesn't double. In fact, one way that some new publishers screw up is to underprice their books. They sell a few more copies, but the lack of profit retards their growth. Read this article on product pricing: http://www.businessknowhow.com/money/what-to-charge.htm

Top Bottom