• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[RPG]: Carcosa, reviewed by JimJim (4/2)

Melan

Radio Free Internet
Validated User
Review said:
I'm not entirely sure why anyone would want to play a fighter; sorcerers get just as many hit dice as fighters, attack with the same bonuses as fighters, can use the same equipment as fighters, have better saving throws than fighters, and get to cast all of those fun blasphemous rituals.
I don't know, "I don't want to be that kind of person, ever." looks like a pretty good reason to me.

JimJim

The Dog-faced Boy
Validated User
I don't know, "I don't want to be that kind of person, ever." looks like a pretty good reason to me.
Hmm ... point taken. That being said, there's really nothing to prevent someone from writing up a character background to the effect of "I was trained in the ways of sorcery, but I've given up my ritualistic tendencies in order to fight for truth, justice, and helping kittens out of trees. But I still get those sorcerer saving throws..."

I can't pretend to know the designers' thoughts when they put Carcosa together, but if I had to hazard a guess, it would be that the largely (almost completely) random nature of the game was put into place to prevent the sort of "tactical character-building" that a lot of players engage in: "What can I take or do with this character to make him better, character background or logic be damned." When most everything is random, you don't make choices based on rules, you make them based on style. Unfortunately, that same random nature makes those few constant points that much more obvious, and that much more attractive as character choices, simply because they only add to the mechanical aspects of those stylistic choices, and as far as I can tell, never detract from them (i.e., "bad stuff" happens only when you actually use the ritual-casting component of the sorcerer class, which isn't necessary).

BeZurKur

Validated User
That being said, there's really nothing to prevent someone from writing up a character background to the effect of "I was trained in the ways of sorcery, but I've given up my ritualistic tendencies in order to fight for truth, justice, and helping kittens out of trees. But I still get those sorcerer saving throws..."
Yeah, and pay 50% more experience to level up.

Review said:
What we end up with are dinosaur-riding sorcerous cavemen exploring ancient ruins and pursuing the Greys for their nifty rocket launchers while being pursued in turn by Nyarlathotep and some undead mummies.
I don't think it was intended, but that sounds like the best endorsement to play Carcosa that I've ever heard!

JimLotFP

Banned
What we end up with are dinosaur-riding sorcerous cavemen exploring ancient ruins and pursuing the Greys for their nifty rocket launchers while being pursued in turn by Nyarlathotep and some undead mummies.

Why? Fuck you, that's why.

Snagged for the ad campaign.

Lizard

Global Village Grouch
Validated User
"What we end up with are dinosaur-riding sorcerous cavemen exploring ancient ruins and pursuing the Greys for their nifty rocket launchers while being pursued in turn by Nyarlathotep and some undead mummies."

In what way, shape, or form is this not totally fucking awesome, dude?????

I mean, I do not like old-school mechanics at all.... but the above sums up everything I do like about old school, namely, a totally balls to the wall attitude. This is why my blog is subtitled "Old school attitude, modern rules." I will probably buy Carcosa in this form (I have the old Greyhawk-style supplement already), just to reward anyone who gets it when it comes to capturing the part of old-school that I adore.

Kinkymachine

Validated User
Meh, that sentence pretty much sums up why I'm not that interested in Carcosa. I like my bleak human sacrifice and dinosaur-riding cavemen kept in seperate games, thank you.

Good review btw.

Lizard

Global Village Grouch
Validated User
In the way that it's totally lame. It was lame when we were 13. It was lame when Synnabar was made. And it's lame now. Dude.
If dinosaur riding cavemen sorcerers with rocket launchers are lame, then I'm happy to be quadriplegic.

The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

The elegant assassin
Validated User
Setting aside the taste question - either you think the Cavemen Dinosaur-Riders with Rockets are cool or you don't and one isn't right and the other wrong - I think the review does the product a disservice by substituting snark and preferences for any kind of objective (or even objective-seeming) review). Much like the Caveman-thing, some gamers like a broad-strokes setting, such as Carcosa, that doesn't tell you who the Space Aliens are, and other gamers don't. Fine; great. The review could tell me it's the former without also implying that I am foolish for liking that kind of thing.

Re the classes: I do think Geoffrey missed the boat on that one. It would seem more straight-forward, more fun, and more thematically-appropriate if you just abandoned the idea of Class in Carcosa and said that learning rituals costs experience points. That way, the lure of becoming a sorcerer is omni-present instead of being a binary choice at CharGen that never rears it's head again.

I also think the dice conventions is an idea that seems cooler in theory than in practice. I get the theory, though.

Top Bottom