[RPG]: Elite: Dangerous Role Playing Game, reviewed by Christopher Cecil (4/5)

Good full review! But..

I agree with this full review. Elite Dangerous is a great RPG. The only issue I take with the review is where it says there is gravity manipulation. There isn't. Everyone wears Mag-boots and the space stations all spin to simulate gravity.

Sensei

Optimistic Anti-Hero
Validated User
Re: Trade in the basic rules

The trade mechanics are very simplistic in the basic game; for more complex material and mechanics on that subject, you'd most likely want to invest in the PDF that focuses on merchants and traders, although I don't have that PDF myself to comment on it.

In the core rules, there's simply a table with about 30 general cargoes (animal meat, computer components, fruits & veggies, robotics, etc.) with corresponding minimum, average, and max prices. Each item also has a note for where that cargo is in demand, such as refineries, war zones, industrial worlds, poor systems, that sort of thing. It's then up to the players and GM to determine where to go to get the best price for selling that cargo. Going to any ol' nearby system could get you some quick cash, but not as much as taking the time to figure out on which system/ planet/ station the best price would be offered. In either case, a simple skill roll for bargaining would probably suffice to see what the final price is at the destination.

It's serviceable, but not terribly involved. Most of the trading is done Between Adventures, with a few rolls of the dice to just generate a profit or loss result. But the core rules above can be used in-game if the players want to focus on a particular run, like smuggling, or blockade running, or something similarly exciting to role play through.

Sensei

Optimistic Anti-Hero
Validated User
Re: Gravity

Oh, and Don is correct; in the default E: D universe, there is no artificial gravity. I tossed a passing reference to 'gravity manipulation' in as an example of the sort of high technology available in-game, such as cybernetic organs, and the FTL drives and force shields used on every ship, but messing with gravity is actually a specific example of something not available in this particular rpg. (Although, honestly, it's really easy to ignore if, like me, you simply don't enjoy believing that a society invented FTL without some basic gravity / inertia control science involved. Doesn't affect play that much either way.)

darktalon

Merchant of Chaos
Validated User
Re: Gravity

The no-gravity thing goes right back to the original 8-bit game, where landing on the rotating space station was a game in itself and a lot harder than it sounds (and harder than it is in ED, too) and so no artificial gravity became a setting element so it makes sense for the station to rotate. The gravity question is a major source of wank on the official forums.

General_Tangent

Roof Dweller
Validated User
I saw Spidermind games at Dragonmeet 2017 and I believe they printed the book in Latvia as it was cheaper to do so than print in the UK.

Dasharr

Adamant Skeptic
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm late to the thread, but have a question - is difficulty 4 defined in the book as a task that's childishly easy? If I'm reading the review correctly, a PC with no background bonus has only 10 in each skill, meaning with 1d10+1 to roll, will fail 20% of the time at a difficulty 4 task. It's a pet hate of mine when RPGs make PCs quite frequently fail at supposedly routine tasks.

As an aside, I'm a native English speaker and I've always thought the expression was "fire in the hold" (as in, the hold of a sailing ship). I've done a quick google and "hole" seems to be the majority usage over "hold", but may be a regional/national difference. Either way it's a minor issue for a non-native English speaker to write "fire in the hold" when a native speaker is using it after 46 years. :)

Armin

Martian
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Fire in the hole" is a warning cry for explosive detonations. When they're set and about to be detonated, you shout that as a warning to let people know the explosion is about to go off.

Top Bottom