RPG errors you've made

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
Kids think the stupidest things

Soup Nazi said:
Stormtroopers never landed a shot all evening... Some elite troops you got there, Mister Vader !
Yeah, but that's pretty accurate to the movies though. ;)

For me, the biggest error I ever made (besides buying the Aliens RPG, which I actually did figure out seamlessly one night, and then lost it the next morning) was back when I was 12 and started playing Traveller.

Let me put it this way, neither I nor my friends at the time knew what a "hardpoint" was, and the Traveller basic set didn't actually explain the concept. Soooo, after a while, we decided it meant machine guns...

Don't even try to help me rationalize how I thought that starships would be using machine guns in deep space... you'll go mad. :)

Jared A. Sorensen

Banned
Balbinus said:
Which is a shame since I still want a game where I can play a talking monkey with a really cool car.
Actually, yeah...they are monkeys -- they have the little tonsure-looking pattern on their heads, hence their name. The caps in octaNe are taoist monks who practice Tai Chai on Alcatraz island.

Weird idea, that.

romafli

Retired User
Way back in fourth grade, I picked up a used copy of the 1e AD&D DMG. This is what I used to teach myself roleplaying- the most confusing, ridiculous, manual Gygax could ever expunge from twisted brain. I mean, there's an entire section on dice probability, complete with bell curve graphs.

Anyways, I read that 1 round = 1 minute.

"Hurry up! What are you doing? The clock is ticking!"

"There's 6 of us, man! I can' think this fast..."

"Too late! You do nothing this round."

... boy I feel silly now.

Kergillian

A Tingle in your Spine
romafli said:
Anyways, I read that 1 round = 1 minute.

... boy I feel silly now.
Actually, I have used this tactic on some of my earlier game partners. I remember one guy who quite literally took 45 minutes to decide on what he was going to do for a round of combat. If you didn't just start telling him he did nothing, didn't get xp for standing there, and all sorts of lovely number-crunching GM-vs-PC dynamic that 1st edition AD&D was known for, then he'd just sit there, hem and haw, and waste as much time as you let him.

Long ago, I learned to decide upon my action while everyone else was taking theirs. Everything moves so smoothly, and you do get the whole minute to think things out.

Ah, my junior high to high school days.

Greg

Retired User
When my friends and I started gaming as young kids, we had *no* gaming books, although we had seen them. We made up almost everything as we went along. We had a small amount of contact with real gaming books however, so we had just enough understanding to get *really* strange. We knew that there were character classes called "clerics", but no-one knew what a "cleric" was. So we guessed, and in our games, a "cleric" was a guy with wings.
Magic-users had *no* spells, but did each own "magic-missile wands" that never ran out.
The strength of all Fighters was rated as "strong enough to punch through a brick wall".
Early on, we didn't even generate random numbers - the players decided what their characters would try to do, and the "D.M." would determine the outcome.
Man, we had fun. :)

GB Steve

Coat-tail rider
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Kids think the stupidest things

Jay said:
Don't even try to help me rationalize how I thought that starships would be using machine guns in deep space... you'll go mad.
Actually you can fire machine guns in space. There's enough oxygen in the shell to explode.

My biggest mistake was leaving a cursed wand of magic missiles around that fired off all the charges in one go. The players refilled it and had a 100 shot 'machine gun', until they met a wizard with spell reflection ...

Cheers,

The Incredible Hatboy

Superhero at large
The "turn undead" thing confused me too, but I encountered it only after I was old enough to realize that it's unlikely that a defender of Good would transform into a Zombie. I'm still waiting for a chance to spring that on some PCs, though - "You find a silver bracelet with the inscription 'tap me thrice to turn undead.'"

GregPogorzelski

Some kind of rodent
Validated User
<I><B>Anyways, I read that 1 round = 1 minute.

... boy I feel silly now.</I></B>

I was puzzled the same way by Star Wars. It was my first RPG. And it said (in the french edition) "A combat round is about five second of <I>real time</I>"

I did not apply that, but boy was I puzzled.

Speaking of that. The first time I GMed a Star Wars game, I assumed that spending a force point allowed a character to use a force power. I was eleven. I also applied the grenade dispersion diagram even if the throwing roll was made. But this diagram was <I>so cool</I>...

Greg

Retired User
It was probably my first game of AD&D. I was informed that my new character possessed a potion of gaseous form. O.K., I thought, so some potions are liquid and some have gaseous form.
"What does it do?" I asked.
"Its a potion of gaseous form" answered the G.M..
"Yes, but what does it *do*?"
"Its a potion of *gaseous form*"
"Yes, but *what* does it *do*?"
"Its a *potion of gaseous form*"
"*Yes*, but *what* does it *do*?".
If I recall correctly, this conversation went on for an implausibly long time.

Greg

Wretch

Cock-headed anguipede
Validated User
When I was playing in Gentry's Earthdawn game, we misread the Riposte rules so that when the little bitty elf Swordmaster riposted the huge-mungous troll Skyraiders, they took damage based on their own weapons and strength, not the Swordmaster's.

Also, for the life of me, I could never find the rules in 1st ed AD&D for regaining HP and spells. As far as I could tell, once they were spent, that was *it*. Made that one magic missile your magic-user had that much more valuable. And of course we thought that glaives were those things from Krull. Glaive-guissarmes were that kind that came back, we figured.

Wretch

Top Bottom