• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[RPG]: Exalted Second Edition, reviewed by C.W.Richeson (5/5)

J.T.

Validated User
Like the game hate the product

I really, really like this game and the production value is fantastic but it's let down by the physical production of it.

Its been talked about a lot on the WW forum and a lot of people got very heated about it but I must say the binding is crap. Mine fell apart within weeks and luckly I know someone who could put it pack together for me as good as new if mot better.

They suggested WW change their printers if that was the best they coulddo.

I've read the book since and still love it (I have all 1st ed stuff) but am reluctant to let my group get their hands on it in case I end up wi th a pile of paper again.

that said this is not meent to start a flame war as was the case on the WW forum but just a personal observation and experience.

By the way great review, I always like reading the stuff you write.

J.T.

Last edited:

buzz

Burning worlds...
Validated User
Re: Like the game hate the product

I don’t like the Exalted system.

Yet you still gave it a 5/5? :confused:

C.W.Richeson

RPG Reviewer
RPGnet Member

buzz said:
I don’t like the Exalted system.

Yet you still gave it a 5/5? :confused:
Hi buzz,

Yep. That's my personal preference, in the section of my review devoted solely to my preferences. Many folk love the system, and there's nothing that has ever struck me as mechanically bad about it. As this is a review of a gaming book, my dislike of very crunchy systems really doesn't have any place in the final review rating. This is a very high quality product, and while I don't like the system it is clearly well detailed and laid out for anyone to use.

C.W.Richeson

RPG Reviewer
RPGnet Member

J.T. said:
the binding is crap.

By the way great review, I always like reading the stuff you write.

J.T.
Hi J.T.,

Thanks for letting us know about the binding. As i've only read Exalted 2nd and not put it through the wear and tear of running a campaign I had no idea. The book is extremely thick, however, so i'm not surprised that it has had problems.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

buzz

Burning worlds...
Validated User

Okay, so it's more, "I don't generally like crunchy systems, but this seems like a pretty good one."

C.W.Richeson

RPG Reviewer
RPGnet Member

buzz said:
Okay, so it's more, "I don't generally like crunchy systems, but this seems like a pretty good one."
Imagine some really awesome sportscar. It's sleek, beautiful, and members of the opposite sex love you for having it. However, it uses a manual transmission instead of an automatic transmission.

I don't like manual transmission. I prefer to just sit there and let my car do all the work. It's an amazing car, and a lot of folk really like manual transmission, but i'd prefer automatic. It would be silly for me to say that the car, as a product, is poor because I don't like driving stick. The actual stick is beautiful, nicely polished with a leather grip.

Were I to comment on the car I might say "This is an amazing car, 5/5, but I don't like driving stick. It's too much work for me. If you don't like driving stick either, then you may not like this car. However, it really is a pretty car and worth owning just for how cool it will make you."

Thus this review :)

smascrns

Banned

I'm not convinced. The review is of the game, like the review of the car, is about the experience it gives you. If you consider that driving a car with automatic transmission provides a better experience of driving, you are able to reason it out, thus you have grounds to give a lower rate to a car with manual than to a car with automatic. Likewise about game systems.

Of course, there will be people with oposite reasons, people that think that manual is much better than automatic, that think that crunchy is much better than light. Let them make their point. Let them give the '5' for system. They will not give a '3' because some other bloke thinks that light is better than crunchy. Why should you give a '5' because of what they think? It's your review, not theirs. If for you the system is a '2' or a '3' system, just say so.

C.W.Richeson

RPG Reviewer
RPGnet Member

I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the review. I have no desire to continue the argument about whether or not my reviewing method is appropriate.

smascrns said:
I'm not convinced. The review is of the game, like the review of the car, is about the experience it gives you. If you consider that driving a car with automatic transmission provides a better experience of driving, you are able to reason it out, thus you have grounds to give a lower rate to a car with manual than to a car with automatic. Likewise about game systems.

Of course, there will be people with oposite reasons, people that think that manual is much better than automatic, that think that crunchy is much better than light. Let them make their point. Let them give the '5' for system. They will not give a '3' because some other bloke thinks that light is better than crunchy. Why should you give a '5' because of what they think? It's your review, not theirs. If for you the system is a '2' or a '3' system, just say so.

buzz

Burning worlds...
Validated User

I think it's just the nature of capsule reviews. A playtest review would likely speak more to how the system worked for the reviewer, as opposed to talking about how the system will likely work for anyone.

You did a fine, job regardless, CW.

Top Bottom