RPG Ideas for Wife

Redforce

Press 'Play' to Scarlet
Validated User
I have an interesting project. My wife is Ukrainian, and the other night at dinner we were discussing role-playing. She had told me in the past that she was familiar with it, but this time I finally got the details. Seems that her and her friends participate in 'interactive storytelling' - frex, 'Door-to-door salesman' or 'Telemarketer'. One person plays the moderator, or the active part (the salesman or the caller), and the others respond to his sales pitch. The moderator determines who 'wins', i.e. resisted the sales pitch or not. Sounds to me like RPG without a GM or any conflict resolution mechanics (pure Storytelling).
My quest is this: a rules-lite RPG that encourages storytelling, with generic human-scale rules and a mutable conflict resolution mechanic - one that could easily use dice or cards, that would apply equally to any type of conflict, and could have some 'karma' component to alter it (some sort of use of point to reroll dice, or tokens to bid, etc.). I was thinking along the lines of something like RISUS with a little more meat.
Let me throw out what I have so far: Conflict is stat+skill vs. stat+skill or set difficulty. Stats are Physical and Mental/Mystical, with 2 active and one resisting stat for 6 total.
Help me to create such a system. Will appreciate all assistance. This won't be published anywhere, most likely, but if it is, I will give full credit to all sources used. Thanks

Redforce

Press 'Play' to Scarlet
Validated User
Sorry, by'published' I mean put on some personal website I mean to get around to doing someday, I don't think I would cut it as a pro game designer...

Owlbear Camus

Autothrusters engaged!
Validated User
Hrm...

I have an interesting project. My wife is Ukrainian, and the other night at dinner we were discussing role-playing. She had told me in the past that she was familiar with it, but this time I finally got the details. Seems that her and her friends participate in 'interactive storytelling' - frex, 'Door-to-door salesman' or 'Telemarketer'. One person plays the moderator, or the active part (the salesman or the caller), and the others respond to his sales pitch. The moderator determines who 'wins', i.e. resisted the sales pitch or not. Sounds to me like RPG without a GM or any conflict resolution mechanics (pure Storytelling).
Unheilig--
Quick, pitch Primeval, for this is surely the cure for the Ukrainian wife who likes free-wheelin' storytelling with a bit o' moderation!

Regards,
Andrew

...Who's eager to give Primeval a try his own bad self. It's Avant Garde, and other such French words.

BiggusGeekus

Cooler than Carrottop
Ever check out Amber diceless role-play?

You might want to alter the setting though. I've noticed a lot of people being introduced to RPGs get a little weirded out by the swords and wizards.

EldritchHeart

Windows to the Soul
Well, there are plenty of systems out there geared to those new with RPGs. I have had particularly good results with Story Engine from Hubris Games (www.hubrisgames.com). It is adaptable to any setting (more or less), uses Descriptors instead of plain ol' number stats, Trait affinities (skills), and Prime Affinities (other abilities), along with a dice pool and variations on success.

There's also a free downloadable version called "Story Bones" on the site.

Crayne

It's all in your head
Validated User
I would forget about the system you were making, since that already introduces too many complicating factors for a new player whose only experience is with "Once Upon a Time"-esque impromptu games.

Of course, to add to the marketing schemes above, you could check out these links. They are reviews of a game I wrote called SOAP which works best as an entrance game. It can be played quickly and while not being a full-fledged dice-rolling RPG still introduces new players to the basics, such as having stats for your character and resolving conflict in-game.

http://trio.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_4215.html

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/review.html?num=94

By the way, why not just use Risus? It is a full RPG and it is easy to "get". Especially for newcomers.

Crayne

Redforce

Press 'Play' to Scarlet
Validated User
SOAP

Crayne, I already downloaded SOAP after telling her about it. She is definitely interested, because the subject matter (soap operas) hits her sweet spot (she LOVES Brazilian soap operas; they get them over there). SOAP kicks major a$$. I will probably modify it a little and go from this as a base (or maybe just use it as is!). Your comment about my start being too complicated will be taken to heart.

Crayne

It's all in your head
Validated User
Re: SOAP

Phillip said:
SOAP kicks major a$$.
Wow. I'd have been amazed if you'd even just used Risus. :D
But thanks for the compliment. I'm still not entirely comfortable with people liking it, letting alone calling it "kicka$$". :)

Crayne

Mithras

5859B7 Age 48 7 Terms
Validated User
I almost never tout my own games, but I feel it would be remiss of me not to mention my quick-play game The Ladder, which involves a single d6 roll and pretty intuitive scales.

Find it on my games page on the website, below:

Redforce

Press 'Play' to Scarlet
Validated User
RE: RPG Ideas for wife

Thanks to everyone who replied, I will take into account all your suggestions. Mithras, I took a look at The Ladder a while back and it is really good. I might use it. What I did was create an 'RPG survey' with 3 sections. I will use her responses to gauge which game would be best for her.

Top Bottom