• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

RPG Industry sexual harassment, Mentzer, abuse and what do we do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
That talent search was not just run by CA; he was one of a team including Nicole. All submissions were rendered anonymous and names replaced with serial numbers, and none of the panel knew the identity of any of the applicants. Green Ronin set it up like that to remove any interpersonal bias before the accusation against CA came out.

I am seriously impressed by how they did it, actually, and when I start my own company I'm doing Open Calls like that.
That does sound well managed, but the net effect will be to place a woman presumably new-ish to the industry (or at least Green Ronin) under the developmental mentorship of someone that the whisper network warns about as a harasser, possible anti-semite, and work appropriator. Maybe it's too high-profile for abuses to happen there, but at the very least it provides thicker cover for someone who's already being talked about as a bad egg.

Last edited:

Critias

Social Justice Galliard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think it's pretty easy to understand. These days most people recognise and accept that equality is a good thing. Ask most people if they think men and women should be equal and they'll say yes. But if you're in a position where you're happy with the status quo, you have a subconscious vested interest in presupposing that the status quo is good - and therefore men and women must be equal. They will challenge overt inequalities, both because to do so is clearly a good and because such inequalities may threaten their own position, but are otherwise fairly content. And other feminists rising to challenge the status quo are also challenging the equity feminist's view of the world, so they must be 'wrong'.
Right, but I'm trying to...hrm...compare it to some other problematic but on-the-very-shallow-surface okay political stuff.

Equity Feminist reads like "I don't even see color!" white person, to me.

The Scribbler

A Flash of Hope
Validated User
That does sound well managed, but the net effect will be to place a woman presumably new-ish to the industry (or at least Green Ronin) under the developmental mentorship of someone that the whisper network warns about as a harasser, possible anti-semite, and work appropriator. Maybe it's too high-profile for abuses to happen there, but at the very least it provides thicker cover for someone who's already being talked about as a bad egg.
My understanding is that the "whisper network" (actually the people directly making the claims, IIRC) contacted the current employer not very long ago (a few months?), and that a pretty extensive investigation into the claims was made (parties were talked to, third parties who would have relevant information were contacted, etc.) by Nicole. It seems she reached her own conclusions about the situation.

Someone else likely has more knowledge about the matter, though.

Last edited:

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
Right, but I'm trying to...hrm...compare it to some other problematic but on-the-very-shallow-surface okay political stuff.

I agree. It does seem of a piece with a broader rhetorical strategy to simultaneously co-opt and undermine social justice movements. As I see it the strategy relies upon an attempt to frame social justice movements as excessive and promoting inequality in the favor of minority groups by promulgating notions that reverse racism, reverse sexism, etc are the real dangers to society and that those who fight those dangers are more sober-minded, more aware, more insightful, more rational, etc.

Holden

RPGnet Member
Banned
This is new to me. If he had done that, it would be bad, I agree.

However, this still does not excuse the racist shit he gets. Right, Holden?
I know it's bad form to reply to someone who's been ejected from a thread so if I get dinged I'll understand, but this is important, so:

Nothing justifies someone being race-baited or otherwise harassed over their ethnicity. It's always wrong in all circumstances.

I'll leave it there so as not to derail the thread.

dr_mitch

Maths Sensei
Validated User
"Equity feminist" sounds like those dreadful "I'm not a feminist I'm an equalist" people (usually men) I see whenever there's a discussion of sexism or representation on social media.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Speaking of Paizo, i got a "response" from their customer service.

I put that in italics because it basically says "We have a huge backlog of stuff coming in, and are working through it as quickly as we can."

I choose to take this as a good sign. The pressure is being poured on and hopefully they will have an appropriate response to all this stuff to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The Unshaven

Validated User
Those I've encountered in the wild claim that "mainstream feminism" is about female supremacy, while they are about equality.

All them came across as utter morons or malicous assholes.

I have no idea if there is any non-malicious serious incarnation of the theme...
Sounds to me like a codeword for "not really feminism", from a quick look at it. Hoff Sommers seems to be an author, from looking at her Wikipedia, who asserts that she is trying to curb the excesses of feminism, which IME is just "oh, shut up about your problems already" in a nicer packaging. Cue one of her two books being about how current (as in "actual") feminism is bad for men, as if that mattered. I think we can safely discount such people as not really allied with feminism, but trying to hide the fact behind buzzwords.

I agree. It does seem of a piece with a broader rhetorical strategy to simultaneously co-opt and undermine social justice movements. As I see it the strategy relies upon an attempt to frame social justice movements as excessive and promoting inequality in the favor of minority groups by promulgating notions that reverse racism, reverse sexism, etc are the real dangers to society and that those who fight those dangers are more sober-minded, more aware, more insightful, more rational, etc.
It's also a business strategy, since you can simultaneously support the status quo while positioning yourself as valuable to powerful forces who can point to you and say "See? Our opponents are irrational and have an agenda because THIS WOMAN agrees with me, and can speak for all women because women are a homogenous mass, and only our lying opponents say otherwise."

Hoff Summers makes bank off this, I guarantee it.

It's a more formalised version of "but some of my friends are black," but extends to all kinds of social scenarios outside of racism. (Though it also applies to racism, see Ben Carson.)

- The Unshaven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom