• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[RPG]: Lone Wolf: The Roleplaying Game, reviewed by Deacon Blues (4/4)

R

RPGnet Reviews

RE: "What if you want to play someone else?&a

Post originally by Tenken at 2004-06-16 12:22:26
Converted from Phorums BB System

Perhaps the Telchos are included because having more than one kind of knight in the main book would tilt the number of characters towards one end of the spectrum. I like the fact that there is a broad variety of characters.

R

RPGnet Reviews

Post originally by Cyn at 2004-06-16 16:35:38

Ah, but the series itself is tilted towards warriors ... most of Lone Wolf's companions were such.

Also, it's good to have the base classes in even if players will never use them. What about a skilled NPC thug? Certainly he should have character levels, but levels in <I>what</I>? The answer is in the <I>Player's Handbook,</I> so the book's not fully standalone.

I'm curious, though, why Cener Druid isn't a class in the book. They're very prominent, and yet they're definitively a class, not a creature type.

R

RPGnet Reviews

How well does it lend to solo-char gaming?

Post originally by anonymouse at 2004-06-16 17:44:59

Considering the source material (also a longtime fan! I've still got my Magnamund Companion ;), it'd be really odd if they relied on the fighter-mage-cleric-thief Challenge Rating equation.

Is a character going to be tough enough to take on 3 or 4 not-puny guys at a time, or will survivability rely on a lot of weak enemies, and thus slow XP progression?

Again, a source-material way to deal with this would simply be to give a level every time you finish an adventure (or cheekily call them "books"; i.e. "okay, you guys finished this Book, time for a level!). But I'm wondering what the -printed- stance is.

R

RPGnet Reviews

RE: How well does it lend to solo-char gaming?

Post originally by Matt at 2004-06-16 19:19:28

It's incredible but you've actually hit on the exact method of level progression recommended in the book!

R

RPGnet Reviews

Post originally by Tenken at 2004-06-16 20:51:07

I'm of the opinion that the Cener Druid and many of the other classes will be in future books. There were quite a few of the game novels. That's a lot of ground to cover, and I honestly don't see any wasted space in the RPG. If their plan is to bring out regional guides and include new classes in them (as long as there is 3-4 months between releases), I don't have a problem with it. I like having everything in one book, but I think in this case it would have short-changed the game to do so.

I agree that the base classes (or at least abbreviated descriptions of them) should have been in the NPC section. I'm just not sure what they could have removed to make room. It's not like they were skimpy with the information or the page count in the book.

R

RPGnet Reviews

And Let's Not Forget...

Post originally by Roy Morgan at 2004-06-16 21:34:21

...the Vakeros Warrior-Mages, the Sommlending Border Rangers, and the Eruan Pathfinders.

I was a little peeved to find out they weren't included. Particularly since Lord Paido was one of Lone Wolf's most able allies.

R

RPGnet Reviews

Post originally by Oliver at 2004-06-17 03:31:33

But the Telchos are warriors, too, no?

Seriously, if you look for example at the french RPG Miles Christi, where, in the initial product, every single character is a Templar Knight, you can see that there is plenty of variety even within IDENTICAL professions. And the Sommlending and the Durenese, while having a similar outlook on the world and being allies, still have different principal loyalties. But as was mentioned, the Vakeros would have offered a totally different kind of character, too, and still weren't included.

Answer me this: How much did you know about Telchos before buying the RPG?

I'll make a bet that the percentage of people craving to play a Telchos warrior are next to negligible, whereas the percentage of people waiting to play a Knight of the White Mountain -or even a Vakeros- would quite probably be high.

R

RPGnet Reviews

Post originally by Oliver at 2004-06-17 03:33:39

>I'm of the opinion that the Cener Druid and many of the other classes will be in future books. There were quite a few of the game novels.

The Durenese and the Cener are described quite early, albeit the Cener not in much detail. Given the prominence of the Durenese in book 2, one of the most pivotal of the early set, it seems strange to overlook them in favor of extremely obscure cultures.

R

RPGnet Reviews

Designers Notes

Post originally by Matthew Sprange at 2004-06-17 03:47:12

Hi guys,

Seems this is quite apopular thread even though it is not on the front page any more :)

However, it gives me a chance to explain some of the decisions we made on characters.

First off, we had a very clear idea of what we wanted to do with characters and how we wanted to approach each class, along the core lines of the Kai Disciplines - though we could vary the system a great deal, this was one thing that gave Lone Wolf a lot of its unique feel and so it was something worth emulating in the RPG. The downside was that the space required to detail each character class was more extensive than in other d20/OGL games (even with the abolition of feats. which were neatly replaced by multiple class features). This meant we were limited in the number of character classes we could have in the core rules - though by this time we were well aware that, given enough supplements, there was the potential for 2-3 full-blown character classes for every nation in Magnmund - and that is a lot of options!

We wanted to detail the whole of Magnamund in the rulebook, not just the North - so character classes had to be split between the two continents to maintain a degree of 'sense'. Mr Joe Dever was also quite keen that we put a spotlight on the Telchos - not something that he had a chance to highlight in his original gamebooks but a race that he had always meant to go back to. The RPG was a way of doing this (they also form a nice counterpart to the Kai in the North).

The Durenese Knights were, of course, one option, but if we had put them in, we would have had to leave out the Sommlending Knights and, well, you can see where that goes :)

The Cener Druids will be appearing in Magic of Magnamund but we did not feel they made particularly good characters for players in the basic game.

And so on. . . :)

The Lone Wolf game is proving hugely popular - not quite Conan territory, you understand, but it has already exceeded our expectations. This means that there will indeed be more supplements beyond Darklands and Magic of Magnamund. With the new ground we break, more character classes can be added until we have fairly populated Magnamund with heroes of all stripes.

That said, players will want to get their hands on various goodies right now - that is the nature of roleplaying. So, I have a suggestion. If you fancy a crack at it, send in your ideas for new character classes in Lone Wolf. You want a Knight of the White Mountain? Type him up and send him in! The best ideas will appear in Signs & Portents or on our web site as downloadable PDFs long before they could appear in a supplement, and it will give other players a chance to play with your creations and add their own ideas. In this way, we can truly make Magnamund a living, breathing place.

Matthew Sprange
Mongoose Publishing

R

RPGnet Reviews

RE: Designers Notes

Post originally by Oliver at 2004-06-17 04:37:18

>We wanted to detail the whole of Magnamund in the rulebook, not just the North - so character classes had to be split between the two continents to maintain a degree of 'sense'. Mr Joe Dever was also quite keen that we put a spotlight on the Telchos - not something that he had a chance to highlight in his original gamebooks but a race that he had always meant to go back to. The RPG was a way of doing this (they also form a nice counterpart to the Kai in the North).

Well, I think that additional books for the game would have been a supreme opportunity to provide details on the Telchos. I don't see them as a really good counterpart to the Kai in the North, since the Kai are much more fleshed out in the gamebooks.

>That said, players will want to get their hands on various goodies right now - that is the nature of roleplaying. So, I have a suggestion. If you fancy a crack at it, send in your ideas for new character classes in Lone Wolf. You want a Knight of the White Mountain? Type him up and send him in! The best ideas will appear in Signs & Portents or on our web site as downloadable PDFs long before they could appear in a supplement, and it will give other players a chance to play with your creations and add their own ideas. In this way, we can truly make Magnamund a living, breathing place.

If you followed my posts in the other threads, you will see how this is not an option for me.

Top Bottom