• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

RPGnet Masculine Beauty & General Anime Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand Brittain

Go on until you're stopped.
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
This was the old thread. This is the new thread.

Now that KyoAni has embraced the dark arts of manservice, will they ever go back? Man, I sure hope not.

Unseenlibrarian

Definitely NOT a Monkey.
Validated User
The best part of the first episode of Free was that, at least once, the main-ish character got dressed just so he could dramatically strip down to his swimsuit again.

Or possibly that it was beat for beat and plot point per plot point a Moe girls slice of life show only with ripped swimmer dudes. They even have feminine names, to further drive the point home.

But mostly "Getting dressed just to dramatically strip again."

The fact that the opening song is called "Rage On" is possibly telling of Kyoani's mindset here though.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
Why are we still playing baseball?

Kite flying anime, make it happen KyoAni.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Re: Why are we still playing baseball?

Hey, y'all know Nisekoi? That Jump rom-com by the guy who did Double Arts? Well, it turns out they managed to snag SHAFT to do the anime, with Shinbo directing.

The announcement in Jump called the combo "Nisekoimongatari." :D Unless that's a typo in the translation, in which it would be "Nisekoimonogatari." Which makes slightly more sense as a pun.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User

Hey, y'all know Nisekoi?
Is that the one where the daughter of a Mafia kingpin has to date the son of Yakuza kingpin, or something along those lines?

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User

As part of my "watching shows I'd missed over the past several years" project, I'm almost finished watching Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (the Phantoming, Sponsored by Phantom).

The unrelenting melodrama is actually sort of refreshingly old-school. It feels like La Femme Nikita meets Leon: The Professional by way of John Woo.

I have about 6 episodes left to go, I think, and it's pretty obvious that things are being set up for a tragedy, but...c'mon, that's what this genre thrives on. I'd actually be a little put off if there was a pat "happily ever after" ending, because it would feel out of place.

(Also, "Scythe Master" may be the silliest and least-subtle character name I have ever seen for a show ostensibly set in the real world.)

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

That's, er, an interesting choice, especially now that Shinbo & SHAFT can pretty much do whatever they want (and do, if sasami-san@gambaranai is any indication) after racking up all that money from Madoka and the -monogatari franchise.

In other news, it's been hinted that the new Sailor Moon series is definitely not dead and would finally start airing sometime around the end of the year. I was starting to worry for a bit...

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User

I have promised the wife that we'll watch the first episode of Free tomorrow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom