RPGnet's Fighter's Group: Waku Waku 7

Scutarii

Validated User
Back in the day I played a lot of Tekken 4 (and by a lot I mean a lot a lot). Was the only game I owned for ~2 years when it first came out. But I was also entirely insulated from the fighting game community so knew nothing about frames or competitive play or what have you so I just wailed on the computer AI on Ultra Hard. No one locally would play with me anymore so it was AI only.

I recently watched Super Animoo Fighters with Jesse Cox and the Super Couch Fighters and, for the first time in a decade or more, got a little itch to play a fighting game again. They just made it look so much fun.

I flicked through what I had and BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend (Need anymore words in that title? No? Ok then) was in my Steam library from some long forgotten sale or humble bundle or something.

So I launch it and spend a little while playing around with it, finding myself sinking into control options and config and getting something that feels comfortable (keyboard: WASD for movement, 0489 on numpad for facebuttons) then trying the tutorial (which is pretty good, having the vampire girl mocking my incompetence is rather more fun than scrolling through menus).

Ultimately I hit a brick wall when it wants me to do an attack chain into a super, special cancel the super into another super and continue from there. Simply can't get my fingers to pull it off. So instead I flicked over to the storymode and start that up - yes I am one of those people who likes single player story mode in fighting games - and, after the anime intro, get utterly hammered by the first character. Then again. And again. I don't take even a single round in about 6 tries.

Wow, I think, maybe I need a lot more practice...

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
Back in the day I played a lot of Tekken 4 (and by a lot I mean a lot a lot). Was the only game I owned for ~2 years when it first came out. But I was also entirely insulated from the fighting game community so knew nothing about frames or competitive play or what have you so I just wailed on the computer AI on Ultra Hard. No one locally would play with me anymore so it was AI only.

I recently watched Super Animoo Fighters with Jesse Cox and the Super Couch Fighters and, for the first time in a decade or more, got a little itch to play a fighting game again. They just made it look so much fun.

I flicked through what I had and BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend (Need anymore words in that title? No? Ok then) was in my Steam library from some long forgotten sale or humble bundle or something.

So I launch it and spend a little while playing around with it, finding myself sinking into control options and config and getting something that feels comfortable (keyboard: WASD for movement, 0489 on numpad for facebuttons) then trying the tutorial (which is pretty good, having the vampire girl mocking my incompetence is rather more fun than scrolling through menus).

Ultimately I hit a brick wall when it wants me to do an attack chain into a super, special cancel the super into another super and continue from there. Simply can't get my fingers to pull it off. So instead I flicked over to the storymode and start that up - yes I am one of those people who likes single player story mode in fighting games - and, after the anime intro, get utterly hammered by the first character. Then again. And again. I don't take even a single round in about 6 tries.

Wow, I think, maybe I need a lot more practice...
Blazblue is a good series, but yeah, you're jumping into the deep end of the pool.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I forget who said it, but always remember that an ArcSys game played at a high level is really more of a lifestyle than anything else.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Hey Scutarii! :D

Well, if you get back into fighting games my current recommendation is Fantasy Strike. The execution barrier is super low, letting you focus on the mental game, poking, and other fundamentals. It was designed to be the "next step" after Dive Kick (which is as stripped down as you're going to get).

BlazBlue, as mentioned, is sort of the deep end of things. Its beautiful and amazing and I semi-mash/spaz with Taokaka (my beloved cat-girl baka-baka).

So you're playing on keyboard? Hrm... that's doable and allegedly good with practice, but any muscle memory you had isn't going to help there. A gamepad might help a lot with an easier re-entry to the genre.

We do have a Steam group if that helps too! :D

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
*Satsu-no-hadou Dan awakens*
If Ryu is Evil, Ken is Violent and Sakura is Dark, what sort of adjective does a Satsu-no-hadou infused Dan get?
Google failes to provide an answer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom