RPGnet's Fighter's Group: Waku Waku 7

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
New patch notes for Fantasy Strike!
https://steamcommunity.com/games/390560/announcements/detail/1789523941897735695
PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

We’ve done massive performance improvements. In order to make the game run faster, we had to make the tradeoff of...also making the graphics look better. The game runs about 250% the fps it used to--yes really. About 2.5x as fast. This is totally insane and we hope you tell someone about it.

There are now only two graphics quality settings (standard and high) rather than four settings, and the new lowest setting looks better than the old highest setting...while running faster than the old lowest setting.

Here are some graphics comparisons, showing the old lowest setting compared to the new one:
**snipped, obviously**

In order to achieve this, we replaced the game’s lighting system with a new one that runs much faster and looks much better. We hand-tuned every stage to look as good as possible with this new system. In addition, we use a new method to draw character shadows on the ground. These shadows are now more accurate and run 600% faster than before.

In addition we further optimized CPU usage to reduce occasional frame rate spikes where the CPU suddenly has to do a large task on certain frames. Last patch we reduced this as well and we did even more optimization on that in this patch.
Will be trying it out soon on my Surface.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Also it doesn't quite show up in this game (yet), but in MK10 you could easily think both Cage and Sonya were in their 40s by how they looked.. Sonya especially, being voiced by Six from Battlestar Galactica helped. (Rhonda Rousey voicing Sonya here helps nobody.)
MK 11 Johhny is clearly get some gray in his hair, which even more visible when he's standing next to his OTL counterpart.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
New patch notes for Fantasy Strike!
https://steamcommunity.com/games/390560/announcements/detail/1789523941897735695

Will be trying it out soon on my Surface.
Exciting! Same here; I've been playing it a lot more, mostly Survival because playing against real people has been an exercise in "I just blinked and I died, and don't know why". I'm definitely learning more about my options in general, which is great.

I also read up on throws, then started doing them. Turns out, I was thinking about them in the wrong way thanks to the ideas Yomi ingrained in me.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I'm saving this for later, but figured this would be the best place to save it:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ork_latency_in_Mortal_Kombat__Injustice_2.php

In this 2018 GDC talk, NetherRealm Studios Michael Stallone describes the drastic engine changes and optimizations of Mortal Kombat XL and Injustice 2.

Stallone goes over the rollback/re-simulate networking models used in Mortal Kombat XL and Injustice 2, and how those tools were involved in rolling back and simulating up to 8 game frames in 16 milliseconds.

It was an insightful talk that's definitely still worth watching, so developers shouldn't miss the opportunity to do so now that it's freely available on the official GDC YouTube channel!

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
DOA 6: Core Fighters has been officially announced.

It sounds like a pretty decent package for free. You get access to Arcade, Versus, Time Attack, Online ranked, DOA Central and DOA Quest as well as 4 characters: Bass, Kasumi, Hitomi, and Diego.

Hitomi is my main alongside Honoka, so I'll probably end up buying the latter and maybe a few costumes I happen to like.

Top Bottom