RPGs Based on Schools

randlathor66

Validated User
So, I was wondering the types of situations, encounters and adventures you all would look for in such a game. Say the setting is a fantasy setting, but the school is still mostly secret (not that magic is secret, just the school because it does have an element to it where it opposes a big bad thing and secrecy is a good layer of protection). The majority of those in the school (particularly the students) don't know about this aspect. Now, you are new students, generally around 12-15 years old (but, for individual reason could be as young a 8 or 9, or old as 18-20), in human years. There are elves and half-elves and others in this setting, so whatever the equivalent ages would be for them. What would you be looking for in such a campaign? (If you need anymore info, let me know, I am hoping this is enough, though I know it might not be.)

Note: Go as light or as dark as you want, I am looking for the variety here.

Edit: Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

Colin Fredericks

Dorkasaurus Rex
Validated User
I've got an unpublished setting, Praeceps Academy, that I put together during National Game Design Month a while back:

http://colingame.wikidot.com/praeceps

It's fairly system-agnostic. Definitely a horror game, which is not my usual genre. It's basically a single long adventure / short campaign where the PCs uncover a cult at a boarding school, and then it's mid-winter in upstate New York and there's nowhere to escape to.

randlathor66

Validated User
I've got an unpublished setting, Praeceps Academy, that I put together during National Game Design Month a while back:

http://colingame.wikidot.com/praeceps

It's fairly system-agnostic. Definitely a horror game, which is not my usual genre. It's basically a single long adventure / short campaign where the PCs uncover a cult at a boarding school, and then it's mid-winter in upstate New York and there's nowhere to escape to.
Very cool. Thanks.

I like a good horror adventure, and it could be fun to run like an "dream/nightmare" adventure set in something familiar like the school, but just slightly altered towards the creepy.

Michael Cule

Gaming Dinosaur 2nd Class
Validated User
I wonder if you can write a game focused on the teachers in a school for magical/weird/gifted pupils. Perhaps even some ungifted teachers in such a school. ("Ah, you're the new Muggle... I mean Mundane Studies Teacher! Welcome, welcome, have a seat by the fire. You find your curriculum a little vague? Hmm, where did you teacher before this?")

Or perhaps the structure can be alternating between teachers and pupils... Hmm...

Top Bottom