• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Rules of etiquette for playing games? And has anybody enforced them?

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
As in many things, the issue is more on how much instead of there being any.

If you, for example, go and select the worker space I was going to use or go and take that card I was very much waiting for, I'll say something like "You didnt have any other option, eh?" with a bit of a mocking tone and thats it. Is part of the game, as you say, they get all "Aha, I hurt you a bit, hehe..." I get all "I acknowledge your punch sir, wait for my response"... is part of the dynamic of the competition.

Then you have the crying session. The "why are you taking those plants from me? I'm clearly the last in points, well, except the other 2 but they have more stuff than me, it is just clear that you should be taking them from this other guy, and ... " and 5 MINUTES of not shutting up about it, with the rest of the table going "look, thats his move, is done, move on, god damnit STOP ALREADY"... then next round and again with it.

Andrew Hackard

Validated User
Then you have the crying session. The "why are you taking those plants from me? I'm clearly the last in points, well, except the other 2 but they have more stuff than me, it is just clear that you should be taking them from this other guy, and ... " and 5 MINUTES of not shutting up about it, with the rest of the table going "look, thats his move, is done, move on, god damnit STOP ALREADY"... then next round and again with it.
I agree, that's excessive. Sounds like maybe we should game together after all!

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In what way do you rules-lawyer that? (Haven't played the game)
It's a train robbery game that, on occasion, involves shooting other players. If you are on top of the train, you can shoot any distance, but if there is someone on a car between you and another player, line of sight is considered blocked to the farther-away person and they are not a valid target. Characters that are on the same train car do not block each other, regardless of where the figures are. You can't shoot someone in the same space as you. Consider players A, B, and C on different train cars:
____A___ ___B___ _______ ___C___

A could shoot B, C could shoot B, and B can shoot anyone.

____A___ ___B C____

In this case, A could shoot either B or C, and both of them could shoot A, but not each other It's really just that simple.

There is a character that has an ability that forces you to pick another valid target if one is available. She was playing that character, and arguing the line-of-sight rules, apparently regarding placement on individual train cars and who could see past what, and how that made them valid targets instead of her. A whole game should maybe last 15-20 minutes, and she was easily doubling that.

jimthegray

Validated User
🔴 Warning Threadban
Prompted by a not very fun match the other day. Not that it was a disaster with people insulting each other or anything, but really, it made me thinks that sometimes, and in some groups, I really get to play a nice, relaxing game of whatever, no matter if it is a complex or a simple game but the atmosphere at the table is easy, relaxed, fun and peaceful... and then there are days like that one. The guy with the neverending AP and the constant need of all the table to both pressure him and audit him because he also forgets to pay costs, etc. The interruptions of people both in the table and outside it to talk whatever bullshit and break the rhythm. The meta-game of crying and deflecting, a.k.a why do you this to me do it to this other guy.

Has anybody ever compiled a set of rules of etiquette for sitting and playing a game? And has anybody had any luck enforcing them? Or is just a question of just, well, you cant have that kind of experience with some people, either not play with them or endure it? Not that I'm blameless, I fall into it too when it starts happening but again, is just ... I really like it much better when the game goes mostly silently, without extraneous conversations, with the minimum chat for stuff IN the game in a calm tone, and then later we can talk and discuss it.

No I have never needed them

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
There is a character that has an ability that forces you to pick another valid target if one is available. She was playing that character, and arguing the line-of-sight rules, apparently regarding placement on individual train cars and who could see past what, and how that made them valid targets instead of her. A whole game should maybe last 15-20 minutes, and she was easily doubling that.
If I turn my head slightly sideways I can see that argument for Belle, but IIRC in her description it mentions something like "on the same train car" as when her ability kicks off.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
You and I should never sit down at the same table. I don't like people to be focused on things other than the game ("PUT YOUR DAMN PHONE AWAY, D!" has been said, by me, more than once to one of my friends) but I also don't like a table that is too quiet. My group does a lot of table talking and it works for us. Your way isn't wrong, it just doesn't sit right with me.
I learned years ago that, if my partner is crocheting, she's paying more attention to the game than when she isn't (I think she unconsciously worries about what to do with her hands, which distracts her).

Corvo

Validated User
Just in one instance.
Years ago me and four others were playing Blood Bowls.
It was league play and we played with the timer (4 minutes per turn, IIRC), so it was pretty tense. All five players were present at every game (two players, three spectators).
We enforced the rule that -while the players could banter loudly- the spectators shouldn't give comments or directions: they could talk among themselves in hushed tones, but shouldn't distract or counsel the players.

It worked for us. But we were a small group of like-minded players, and if you know Blood Bowl, you know that playing with a 4 minute timer is pretty nerve-wracking: you don't want to have someone interrupt your chain of thoughts when you are down to the last 7 seconds of a crucial turn...

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Funny enough, while I was having my not so enjoyable Terraforming Mars at the club, there was a Blood Bowl match going on in another room... that I dont know, but sounded it was very close to come to hands.

And then next week I find the AP guy from that match playing Terraforming Mars with other 2 guys and it could very well be three gentlemen drinking tea.

Weird group chemistries, I guess...

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was thinking of opening another thread, but this would do to hold this rant.

You know what a good rule of etiquette would be? Stop with the damn elitist garbage. Better still, stop SPEWING it and then going all "it is a joke".

Context, there is a small not-quite-a-convention that some local guys I know do in September. Basically just 70 or so people from different parts of Spain passing 4 days on a small village in the North coast here, to game as much as we can and enjoy the local food, which can be defined as "my plate has enough food to feed several armies".

All in all a great time, I've gone like 4 times already, enjoyed meeting some people, testing new games, etc. Great 4 days to relax and geek out.

To coordinate stuff, there is a Whatsapp group.

And there our troubles begin.

Since the first time, there is a small group of wargamers that "joke" every now and then about how they are "superior" and the rest of us are some kind of mental defectives or something. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. The same group of 3 or 4 guys top, 2 the main offenders. Whatsapp group becomes a random stream of stupid memes about it when they are bored.

This year, I fucking had enough. First we get a "wargarmers-> picture of XIX general, eurogamers -> picture of monkeys with Legos", and then one of them has the gall to post that is time to start organizing the wargames to play in this venue where "an horde of euro wankers pays for us to have the necessary comforts to game as we deserve".

And OF COURSE, me saying that is too much and not funny at all is either hilarious or me "taking it too personal".

I'm this close to cancel my reservation. I'm also out of the Whatsapp group, organization can reach me to tell me stuff like changes or problems if they want. But really, I'd very much like to enjoy the company of 99% of the people there, but the attitude that a few manchilds with a pathological need to tell themselves they are so great because they "play hard games" and that tell me to MY FACE that I'm a monkey wanker that they are basically entitled to live off... and have no one from the organization say you know what, this is enough already, you either start respecting people or just having the common decency to shut up or you can see if you can organize your own exquisite wargame summit somewhere else...

NOBODY CARES if you play wargames. It DOESNT make you smarter or better than the rest. You are not the fucking reencarnation of Rommel or Hannibal, you are just a bloke. And if your gaming cant say anything about the caliber of man you are (and is always men), your attitude does.

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
What a bunch of assholes. I was going to post something about bringing a Lego wargame and then not letting them play, but that would just be a waste of time.

Top Bottom