IC Runaway Hirelings: The Temple of Elemental Annoyance

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Very good! That takes you to 8 Gold, 0 Flail Pts!

Zoosk lights the rear corridor of the armory, and starts carefully exploring it. The passageway is dark, and has several branching points, but the light of the torch shows the tripwires and sudden drops. With the light of the torch, Zoosk is able to lead Dummy and the goblins to a heavy, iron-bound door, seemingly locked, which looks to open onto the main entrance to the temple. The goblins are excited, and begin plotting how to break through.

But Zoosk also discovers a small alcove, easily unlocked from the outside. Within it is...

it's Archie!!

OOC: You can re-introduce Archie, now! Please describe how he survived his fall, and how his apron has been changed by the experience.

thenorm42

Validated User
Archie, battered and bruised, tells Zoosk and Dummy what happened to him. The air elementals in the courtyard caught him and toyed with him for what felt like hours, batting him from side to side in a brutal version of the sacred Troll sport of P'Hing-P'Hong. Suddenly, his apron started to glow all the colours of the elemental rainbow. Already having been soaked in water from a dragon of fire and earth, it only needed the air energy it absorbed from the air elementals to attain a higher state of elemental alignment! In shock, the elementals hurled Archie into a nearby pipe, and after much bouncing around the temple he ended up locked in here.

He's quite amused to hear of Clarrt's messy demise.

OOC: So the most capable member of the party is now an apron. This might give us an excuse for some magical-type effects when we get to the big finish room. Possibly including invoking the spirit of Great Nob Crumpaxe as the new lord of Elemental Fire!

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Checking in! MrPrim MrPrim , T tomas , still around? Reactions to Archie's re-appearance?

tomas

Validated User
OOC: I'm sorry, this fell off the front page and life got busy. Let's assume that Dummi made a snide comment...I'm just too damn tired at the moment to come up with one. Whose turn is it to come up with the final challenge? I did the room before last so I assume it isn't me.

Last edited:

thenorm42

Validated User
I'll happily volunteer! I think the challenge in the last room should be an epic pitched battle between the goblins and elves. Perhaps on the plain in front of the temple? Time to spend those Flail points on auto-successes for being almost heroic!

tomas

Validated User
OOC: We're all going to die. How will Dummisfort's best selling book every get written?

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dumisfort's subtly sarcastic comment is met with well-meaning groans from the goblins following the PCs into the tunnel.
OOC: Okay, here's where we're at.

You guys are currently in Room #7. In order to reach the final room, you'll have to figure out a way through the heavy iron-locked door at the end of this corridor. Once you solve that challenge, either tomas or MrPrim can discover the last room and claim a Flail Point. Then I'll give you guys the rules for the slightly more devastating final room.

Your current totals:
Zoosk: 8 Gold, 0 Flail Points
Dumisfort: 4 Gold, 1 Flail Point
Archie: 5 Gold, 4 Flail Points

Rules reminders, because it's been a bit: It costs 1 Flail point to auto-succeed in your area of expertise, or 2 Flail Points to auto-succeed regardless. You can always choose to auto-fail, setting up a new challenge and taking 1d6-1 Gold damage to gain 1 Flail Point. If you don't want to auto-succeed, you can take a risk and roll a d6, succeeding on a 5+, but if you fail you take 2d6+2 Gold damage, which will probably kill you. If you die, you keep your Flail Points. Someone can help you before you roll, giving you a +1, but they take half damage if you fail.

thenorm42

Validated User
OOC: Ah, ok, one more challenge!. I think the answer to Dummy's question is 'Posthumously, via a medium or necromancer.' :D

thenorm42

Validated User
OOC: How about we declare one of the Elven rune-weapons from earlier is now charged up with Elemental Fire after the explosion, and can be used like a welding torch? Zoosk is a Torchbearer, therefore he can be a welding Torchbearer without having to roll, and cut through the door!

Top Bottom