• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Runaway Hirelings: The Temple of Elemental Annoyance

thenorm42

Validated User
OOC: Rules lawyer mode activate! If Dummy does a bit of world building (and presumably creating a real fictional country like Scandinavia counts? :D ) will the +1 gold keep him going?

tomas

Validated User
OOC: What is a "near miss"?

thenorm42

Validated User
OOC: As Zoosk and Dummy didn't use any of their extra characters and it's the final room, FrivYeti instituted a rule that if either of you guys die, you instead get a miraculous escape and are reset to 5 gold (as if you'd gone onto your third character).

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: After careful consideration, sure, the +1 Gold can keep Dummy on his first try. I will update later this morning!

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
With some trepidation, Dumisfort jumps into the improv situation, joining the goblins and elves in a rousing game of "Story, Story, DIE!" The game is actually going really well, and when one of the elves finally stumbles you'd almost forgotten what the penalty was. But the demon has not.

One blood-soaked explosion of entrails later, the demon looks up from his feast at the horrified elves. "Well, guess I gotta eat all youse guys, now," he says. "Pretty okay with this. I've always liked the taste of elf more than goblin."

"You will fail, you fiend!" The elves draw their swords, and several of them channel radiant light as the demon leaps on them. Within seconds, the left side of the hall is full of elves in deadly battle againt a truly ravenous demonic force, and your side of the hall is full of relieved-looking goblins, kobolds, and orcs.

One of the goblins whoops with joy. "That's got the pointy-ears dead to rights!" he chortles. "Let's get outta here before that fight wraps up!"

He takes off for the front door at a sprint.

One of the shattered statues lying on the ground immediately springs into the air. Bits of stone surround the unfortunate goblin, and before he can do more than squawk in surprise, the statue reforms around him, crushing him to a thin paste that oozes out from between the statue's cracks.

The statue settles back into its place against the wall, leaving several more piles of rubble and a lot of suddenly-less-excited former slaves.

OOC: Two challenges solved! Somewhere between two and four left.

Your current totals:
Zoosk: 6 Gold, 1 Flail Point
Dumisfort: 1 Gold, 0 Flail Points
Archie: 5 Gold, 4 Flail Points

I'm heading out on vacation later today, and will be gone until Monday the 6th of May. I will try to check in, but may not manage it.

thenorm42

Validated User
Archie had quite a long time to study the books he got from the library in the dim light of the alcove. That kind of reforming the statue did, only a very high-level (and therefore very large) elemental could do that!

Archie looks up at the stony bulk of the temple through a hole in the roof, and gulps. Could this whole place be one great big Earth-aspected elemental? That hates them and wants them dead? It would explain a lot...

How to defeat such a thing? You'd need an elemental lord or hero of similar potence, preferably a fire-aspected one. Archie only knows one entity that could fit the bill.

"Dummy! Zoosk! Grab the rune weapons and pile them up over here! Get some of the ash from there, dip my apron in some of that unfortunate goblin's blood, and grab that decapitated elf torso from over there! WE'RE GOING TO BRING HIM BACK!"

OOC: Two Flail points to auto-succeed at starting a ritual to bring Great Nob Crumpaxe back as the Elemental Warlord of Fire! +1 gold for worldbuilding (2 FP, 6 gold).

Question: Lady luck shines down on me by Archie's mad ad hoc ritual actually having a chance of working. Possibly Zoosk or Dummy could complete the ritual using their specialities? Also, if it works, could he come back riding the dragon from earlier?

Have a great holiday FrivYeti! Feel free to retcon any of this if you need to!

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: I like it! This will be a two-stage challenge, then, and I think it is likely that you'll be able to pull things off with your current totals, but let's see how it goes.

With Archie's leadership, the team gathers goblin blood, elf torsos, divine fire, and a few rocks from the temple. The statues start to tremble as Dummy approaches the goblin, but don't quite go off.

Everything is gathered. Archie looks over it - the materials look about right, and the pile is good, and there's so much elemental energy coursing around the place that you probably don't have to be a priest to resurrect someone of sufficient importance, especially with all the rebels in the background getting excited and shouting Nob's name, but this is where he comes up short. He's a cook. He doesn't really know how to speak the ancient words of a resurrection ritual.

What the heck prayer do you speak to bring someone back from the dead?

OOC: The current challenge: Speak the words of the ritual. Ironically, this would probably be up Dumisfort's alley, but he's out of Flail Points to succeed with it. I think you have four options:

1. Archie could spend his last two Flail Points
2. Dumisfort can auto-fail for a Flail Point, which will cause a horrible near-death experience, and then spend the Flail Point that he gets.
3. Zoosk can auto-fail for a Flail Point, which will probably but not definitely cause a horrible near-death experience, and then spend 2 Flail Points.
3. Someone can roll for it.

After this success, there will only be one or two more challenges required to escape once and for all.

Your current totals:
Zoosk: 6 Gold, 1 Flail Point
Dumisfort: 1 Gold, 0 Flail Points
Archie: 6 Gold, 2 Flail Points

thenorm42

Validated User
OOC: Although if Dummy rolls a 1, he'll lose 0 gold and won't even have a near miss! Also, what if Zoosk expressed finishing the ritual in terms of setting the pile of magic stuff on fire (probably while cackling insanely)? Seems reasonable-ish for a fire elemental lord, and he could do it for 4 gold or 1 Flail point then!

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Hm... Dummy, yep, definitely. I think I am going to require a resurrection ritual to not just be "set things on fire", though. The Torchbearer only actually has "start small fires" under their specialty, rather than "everything involving fire".

Top Bottom