• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Rune Quest II] Clockwork & Chivalry

wraithform

Validated User
I feel a lot of games strive for the Arcanum feeling without really achieving it.
Not to threadjack, but yeah, I feel your pain. I SO MUCH wish the Troika guys had written and published more information about their awesome and fascinating world. It has this weird, inimitable quality to it that no pen/paper RPG has seemed to capture before or since.

/threadjack

The Greek

Retired User
I've been told it's Cavaliers and Roundheads. And Clockwork automatums. And magic.

SO could be pretty cool...

d(sqrt(-1))

Die of Cold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I find "Chivalry" in the title to be a bit at odds with the period - I feel it's more of a middle/late medieval term rather than seventeenth century.

Also I'm assuming it's a bit of an alternative setting (I worked that out from the clockwork and magic bit!), since Charles 1st was executed in Jan 1649, and the Third Civil War finished in 1651, so not much time for armies tramping about the country otherwise. Setting it a bit earlier would also give some scope for involvement in the Thirty Years War too.

However, if you can play John or Elizabeth Lilburne, Levellers, Diggers, or Clubmen, or Puritans on duty to confiscate Christmas dinner, then I'm in. Diggers might not be so exciting I suppose...

Mark

Last edited:

Chaot

I feel that people should be Celebrated.
Validated User
I'm keeping my eye on it to see if I can steal some mechanics for a BRP game. It does look interesting.

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
Hadn't heard of it until you posted. The chivalry part has got me stumped too, slightly incongruous. There can't be that much chivalry in a civil war.

Khairn

Retired User
I've tried on a number of occasions to create something along the lines of Arcanum. I've run games using Rolemaster, D20 and oWoD with varying levels of success. I hadn't heard about Clockwork and Chivalry before this thread, but now I'm quite interested. Thanks for the information.

The Butcher

Artist with the knife
Validated User
Clockwork & Cavaliers might work better. Ah well. The premise sounds good and I shall watch with great interest.

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've tracked down some information on the Cubicle 7 forums that answers most of my questions. All quotes come from there.

-- Does the game have a pro-royal or pro-parlament stance?
Ken Walton said:
Definitely neutral -- in fact we encourage players to be from different factions and bicker about it while trying to prevent the excesses of either (all!) sides.
-- What are the rules like?
Ken Walton said:
We're using Mongoose Publishing's RuneQuest II system (and you'll need the Core Rulebook to play). But we've added:

- A multitude of detailed Social Classes, Professions and Factions, tailored to the background

- a new Attribute, Righteousness Points, which track how strongly you believe in your chosen Faction (religious/political beliefs). Fail a Righteous Will Test, and you can find yourself getting up and ranting at the most inopportune moments. (Hint -- if you've got a friend who's a Puritan, don't take him to the theatre...)

- a whole new magic system of "Scientific Alchemy"

- Clockwork device design and construction

- Black Powder Weapons
-- Why Runequest?
Ken Walton said:
It was *nearly* a standalone game -- but when we were offered the licence, we felt we were more likely to get noticed as a new and unknown game company with RQII behind us. It's not just going to be a one-off worldbook, we have a whole pile of supplements in the works, starting with an adventure campaign the month after the core book is released in July.

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not to threadjack, but yeah, I feel your pain. I SO MUCH wish the Troika guys had written and published more information about their awesome and fascinating world. It has this weird, inimitable quality to it that no pen/paper RPG has seemed to capture before or since.

/threadjack
There's plenty of decent Victorian games out there (so I'm glad this C&C game is set in a different century), so that's not the inimitable quality of Arcanum.

I think the key to Arcanum's appeal is that the "Do you use magic? Do you use technology?" question felt like a real choice, but it wasn't a forced choice. You could focus on one or the other, or you could use a mix of the two, or you could ensue both and rely on you strength and wits alone. All these choices had repercussions. Magic and technology had some overlap in effect, but there were also effects unique to both. Most importantly, they felt very different. They had different resources and different pros and cons. I haven't seen a pen and paper game do nearly as good of a job of this; they tend to come across and cheesy or artificial.

Of course, some things that work well in a video game don't work in a tabletop game. Technology in Arcanum involved a lot of micro-management of components for your devices which was fine on-screen but would be pretty obnoxious with pen & paper.

I'm quite curious to see how this Clockworks and Chivalry manages it. If the magic is mainly this "alchemical science" then maybe it is compatible with technology, but just happens to be used by a different faction?

Top Bottom