RUNE RPG by Robin D Laws

BMonroe

Validated User
I've kind of always wanted to play Rune, but never had a chance to. I skimmed the rules when it first came out, and thought it was a pretty neat idea. And fantasy vikings mashed up with a streamlined Ars Magica system seems like something I'd love.

But I never got my brain around the rotating GM thing. I guess mostly because when the game came out, none of the players I gamed with were really interested in GMing, so I always got saddled with that duty. Trying to convince them all to read the rules and design scenarios for it seemed like pulling teeth.

SuStel

Validated User
Each session, one player is the GM (it rotates).
Each session, all players become the runner (GM), one at a time, each running one encounter in the adventure. You rotate runners until everyone has had a chance. You might even go twice a session.

I've played a lot of Rune, though it's next to impossible to get anyone to play it nowadays. I have a couple of encounters and a creature on my website, here: http://trimboli.name/#Rune If I were rewriting them, I wouldn't have made them as long as they are.

I wouldn't try it as a single-GM experience. As the book says, the GM will get sick of the players constantly mowing down all his creatures and encounters and warriors. The GM wants to win sometimes too. And when multiple runners plug in their own encounters, nobody knows how the adventure is going to go beyond their own pieces.

I'm well-versed with Rune, so if you have any questions, ask away.

SuStel

Validated User
The enounter and foe systems are very versatile. I once plopped the heroes into a Doctor Who encounter without any trouble. The Doctor and the TARDIS were just a bit of narration, and the Daleks just used the normal foe rules with missile weapons. I should really find that paper and type it up.

AilphanG

Eventually you'll be dead
Validated User
Each session, all players become the runner (GM), one at a time, each running one encounter in the adventure. You rotate runners until everyone has had a chance. You might even go twice a session.

I've played a lot of Rune, though it's next to impossible to get anyone to play it nowadays. I have a couple of encounters and a creature on my website, here: http://trimboli.name/#Rune If I were rewriting them, I wouldn't have made them as long as they are.

I wouldn't try it as a single-GM experience. As the book says, the GM will get sick of the players constantly mowing down all his creatures and encounters and warriors. The GM wants to win sometimes too. And when multiple runners plug in their own encounters, nobody knows how the adventure is going to go beyond their own pieces.

I'm well-versed with Rune, so if you have any questions, ask away.
Thanks for the correction. I've never played it, only read it (and even so, that was years ago).

Top Bottom