• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

runequest 6 is dead! long live runequest 6!

Stone-Tharp

Validated User
The other wrinkle is that when use a weapon that is sufficiently similar to one covered by a combat style you know, you can use it as though you were trained in it (example: using a scimitar if your style(s) only cover broad sword) or at some penalty (example: using a shortsword your style(s) only cover broadsword counts as using a broadly similar weapon and means that rolls with the shortsword are made at a penalty of one difficulty grade).

Last edited:

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
A couple of quick points: I always allowed training to cover both attack and parry, and would even allow training to cover something like 1h sword attack and shield parry.
Does this apply to the pbp you're running? Because it significantly changes some of my training plans if so!

Corum

Validated User
This separation is, in my opinion, great news. We will have the best iteration of the best fantasy RPG without the problems associated with either Chaosium or Mongoose. No Glorantha cluttering the rule book either. Best of luck to Pete and Loz and may their publishing schedule be frequent and varied.

Crowe

Validated User
So what happens to the Material that was written for AIG?
Is it all just binned now?

From what I hear there were some really good things in AIG - New Spirit rules etc. Would be a shame for that to all disappear.

Darran

No 'e' s in my name!
Validated User
U
The other wrinkle is that when use a weapon that is sufficiently similar to one covered by a combat style you know, you can use it as though you were trained in it (example: using a scimitar if your style(s) only cover broad sword) or at some penalty (example: using a shortsword your style(s) only cover broadsword counts as using a broadly similar weapon and means that rolls with the shortsword are made at a penalty of one difficulty grade).
That is odd as a short sword has more in common with a broadsword. A scimitar is a very different weapon to a broadsword.

Stone-Tharp

Validated User
U

That is odd as a short sword has more in common with a broadsword. A scimitar is a very different weapon to a broadsword.
It's possible I flipped the two examples from the book around in my memory. In any case, the book doesn't offer a definitive list of what weapons are related to one another to what degree, just some guidelines and examples. Which makes sense, since the scope of Combat Styles is meant to be campaign-dependent, ranging from single weapons to the more standard 3-4 weapon packages to entire categories like "swords."

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
Happy to hear that The Design Mechanism will be able to focus on their own fantastic work rather than work as hired help, but it seems like nu-Chaosium is flailing...
Well, I'll be sad to see my favorite game (i.e. RuneQuest 6) lose the name RuneQuest. But whatever title the Design Mechanism folks give to it when they rerelease it, I know I'll be picking up everything they put out.
... We will have the best iteration of the best fantasy RPG without the problems associated with either Chaosium or Mongoose. No Glorantha cluttering the rule book either. Best of luck to Pete and Loz and may their publishing schedule be frequent and varied.
I agree with these sentiments.

Top Bottom