• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[RuneQuest] Details about the new Chaosium version of RuneQuest emerge.

Arkat

Skål Kosmonauter
Validated User
This is giving me cognitive dissonance. On one hand I'm a long time RQ and Glorantha fan. But on the other hand i got into the game with RQ3, so using RQ2 seems like a strange step backwards (The RQ2 reprint is the first glorantha/rq game I've ever decided against buying), and RQ6 was a fantastic game written by fantastic people. Mixed emotions!

But those runes... It is like the designers have dug through my old RQ files and found all my notes on runes and personality traits. I must admit that those runes and that character sheet sketch is winning me over.

Oh well, why not? Its not like it is possible to have too many glorantha games, right?

Chaot

I feel that people should be Celebrated.
Validated User
I would assume that when they say they are using the RQ2 rules it means that they are the jumping off point and developing from there.

Albertorius

Validated User
RuneQuest was from its very inception a Gloranthan and not generic game and there are almost countless iterations of the BRP system developed which cover every other setting type imaginable - none of which will be banned or cease to exist.
That might be certainly true in the general sense, but it is most certainly not true for me, and I guess that for the spanish market.

See, the first (and until not too long ago, only) edition to get translated into spanish was this one, back in '88:

Certainly Joc published a lot of Glorantha content, but they also published a lot of "historical" supplements, and the default setting was Mythic Europe.

So every time I hear that "Runequest is Glorantha, first and foremost, and not generic" it always tend to baffle me a bit, even if it is technically true.

rabbithat

Validated User
And now, we are going to have a pre-release version available at GenCon this year. Given that they just seem to be getting their team together now, it seems like an awful short turn-around for a new edition. They have assembled an interesting team, I will grant them.
We actually formed the design team last year directly after Gen Con and we first met in person (including Ken, Sandy, Jason and Chris) in late September. It's only Steve who is a recent addition, and we're delighted to have him on board!

MOB
VP - Chaosium

Arkat

Skål Kosmonauter
Validated User
I would assume that when they say they are using the RQ2 rules it means that they are the jumping off point and developing from there.
I know. But since I'm brought up on RQ3, stressing that RQ2 is the foundation for the new game is in many ways excluding me from the target audience. To be perfectly honest, as a RQ3 player I've never understood what RQ2 brings to the table other than nostalgia.

Battle magic, Rune Lords of Uleria, Blade venom and potions. Nah, I'm not feeling it.

Alban

Validated User
As for myself, RuneQuest 3 was my default medieval fantasy game during the 90s, until I simplified it a lot to create my own version of BRP.
I like reading stuff about Glorantha, and I like it as a fictional setting, but to me it's just one possible option for RuneQuest.
The main reason is when I first tried to run a game in Glorantha, the only setting books available in french was a translation of Glorantha:Crucible of the Hero Wars, and it was not a good entry point for the 13 years old boy I was.

rabbithat

Validated User
I think this is partly where my irritation at this new edition comes from. Moon Design, as the publisher for HeroQuest, has been behind the idea that Glorantha is simply a better fit for Glorantha. They license out RuneQuest to TDM, and it achieves its own successful identity free of Glorantha. Then Moon Design pulls the license and gives it to Chaosium because RuneQuest absolutely needs to be a Glorantha-based game and nothing else.
The reason why we didn't renew TDM's license was because RQ6 failed to meet its royalty milestones (not that Loz and Pete did anything wrong, just that RQ6 sold poorer than expected).

While we had all originally wanted Loz and Pete to manage the new RQ project, we ended up having incompatible creative visions (TDM wanted the new RQ to be based on RQ6, and be directly compatible with their existing RQ6 products; we came to the decision we needed the new RQ rules to have RQ2 as their basis and so be compatible with the rereleased RQ2 product line). Are Loz and Pete disappointed that we had a different creative vision than they did? Probably - it would be strange if they were not. But are we all still friends? Certainly, this is just what sometimes happens in business. People - who are friends - work with each other, and have differences in opinions about how to do a project. If those disagreements are substantial enough, they leave the project. Pete and Loz are professionals. Rather than beat their heads about the direction that Chaosium wanted to go, they asked to be let go. And we wish them the greatest of success with the (non-Gloranthan) direction TDM is now taking.

MOB
VP - Chaosium

Chaot

I feel that people should be Celebrated.
Validated User
To be perfectly honest, as a RQ3 player I've never understood what RQ2 brings to the table other than nostalgia.
RQ3 was the first version of RQ that I had read. RQ2 is much more heavily intertwined with a setting and the rules are very evocative of that setting. Both bring value to the table but since Chaosium is focusing heavily on Glorantha it makes sense to look to RQ2 as a base. I'm an Elric!/Magic World guy myself so the whole thing is academic to me. I'm looking to whatever company can provide a rules set that's nice and streamlined like my preferred version of BRP. I will be getting the upcoming Runequest to read though.

MOB
VP - Chaosium
Not sure if you're interested in consolidating your ids but you can probably grab MOB as a user name over in the Trouble Tickets name change thread.

Top Bottom