• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

S3 of Star Trek Enterprise is shockingly different from S1-2

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
I never saw this series, so I'm catching up on them on Netflix. I really don't know what to make of this darker, more militant, combat-every-episode version of Star Trek. It feels like an abandonment of Trek, generally, and the wide-eyed exploration focus of S1-2 of the show, specifically. Were ratings that bad? Deep Space Nine was 'darker', but nothing like this.

Does anyone know why the show aired on UPN instead of CBS?

Drfox

Validated User
From what I remember, yes, the ratings were hurting pretty badly.

And Star Trek hadn't been on CBS for a while. I think all of Voyager was on UPN?

Atlictoatl

Validated User
The Nefarious Council of Aliens at the episode starts is like a bad game of Galactic Civilizations.

And Star Trek hadn't been on CBS for a while. I think all of Voyager was on UPN?
Really? Huh. The Voyager wiki page cites that Paramount Pictures put it on UPN to support their new network. I guess that would explain why I never saw these episodes.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Some day, I'd like to see a Star Trek series that follows the normal crew as they go on missions and deal with crises. Let the Captain, First Officer, and Chief Officers for their departments stay on the bridge and at their stations where they command crews and are critically needed. I'm fine watching the #5 engineer, a security corporal, a medic, and a junior member of the xeno-communications crew as they navigate challenges on the alien planet that corrupts their DNA and potentially kills them.

Seroster

Miw!
Validated User
I don't remember whose bright idea was "hard men making hard decisions fighting terrorists" but it was awful. (The two usual suspects?)

I mean the whole show was not the best but to my tastes that was the worst.

There were some better episodes in season 4, I think.

NathanS

Validated User
I don't remember whose bright idea was "hard men making hard decisions fighting terrorists" but it was awful. (The two usual suspects?)
Braga is on record of liking "24" at the time, and indeed want on to work on it after Trek died for a bit.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
Was season 3 the one after “9-11 changed everything”? If so... at least you have the last season to look forward to. It was (again) different from the ones before, but in a good way.

Top Bottom