• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Salon Larps] Where / How do ya'll find venue space?

DariusSolluman

Validated User
My game has outgrown my house.

All right, that's a bit of an exageration; my game is at the point where it has become a very good idea to find outside venue space, however.

But I'm at a bit of a loss. A video / photography studio seemed like it was going to be a rock solid hit, but (owing to bad luck), they've kept flaking out. Colleges don't lease space for non-student, non-educational related events. And the other spaces I've looked into have been too expensive by a factor of two or three.

So... yeah ><

IdiotSavant

Validated User
In New Zealand, we rent space, mostly community halls and city council owned spaces. It costs somewhere between $50 and $100 per game, depending on the venue and duration, and so we just build that into the game price.

DariusSolluman

Validated User
A pub or community/church hall?
Most of the local pubs want drinking patrons on Friday evenings :)

And in the bible belt of America, trying to explain to a church about pretending to be horrible monsters can prove a... tricky prospect.

DariusSolluman

Validated User
In New Zealand, we rent space, mostly community halls and city council owned spaces. It costs somewhere between $50 and $100 per game, depending on the venue and duration, and so we just build that into the game price.
That's what I'm looking into at the moment. The problem I keep running into is more one of time availability rather than cost- most government type places don't want to be open at midnight.

David Artman

Designer and Producer
Validated User
I enjoyed playing in a long-running VTM LARP in a Barnes and Noble.
Makes The Masquerade relevant! :)

elmerg

Validated User
A necro, but hotels are often willing to rent their spaces at discounted rates if you're a guaranteed rental. We're moving out of a space that was $150 for the entire day (we used it for a Changeling the Lost and Masquerade LARP from 12p to 11p mostly, sometimes in there earlier doing setup though) on a bi-weekly basis, that we worked out with a local hotel. This was half of their normal rental rate. You might want to check into something like that. Especially hotels that might be a little out of the way or might have meeting space but aren't usually meeting-heavy. Ours was through a Comfort Inn and Suites and it worked out nicely; we have just since outgrown it and have had to move on to a bigger hotel space.

Artenen

Human Paladin
Validated User
We've shot videos on things to look for in locations for outdoors stuff like -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLnPnLWuDWQ
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhdN2yCu2Mk

We haven't shot the indoor ones yet but will be offering host training on how to get practice and indoor locations with examples.

We'll also be talking about insurance and waivers among other things a location or gov may require before you can do any kind of event. We're here to help larps get more locations and better venues. We also offer a free ticketing system to larpcraft hosts which can greatly improve the funds for securing fees and food before a game without much out of pocket funds being used.

Top Bottom