• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Savage Worlds + Cortex Prime] Savage Cortex?

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User
I thought I had seen something of the nature of a mash-up between these two systems floating around the internet, but I cannot seem to find it. Has anyone else seen something similar around, or am I as crazy as I think I am and will need to build it myself?:eek:

EDIT - It turns out there wasn't any such mash-up, so I am creating one. The core design goal is to make Cortex Prime more accessible to gamers who may have an easier transition from the more traditional gaming experience of Savage Worlds. It will also create a toolset for converting Savage Settings into Cortex Prime. An additional feature of this project will bring miniatures play to Cortex for those interested in such a thing.

I plan to update the thread once a week with notes and include a link to a collected PDF once the project is concluded.

I may also include specific notes for using Savage Cortex with Savage Rifts as that is what set this idea in motion.

Last edited:

Nessalantha

Validated User
I haven't seen such a thing, but I imagine it would be really easy to put one together. Attributes could be directly pulled over, Edges can become Distinctions or Power Sets, depending how involved they are, and so forth. Even someone as mechanically challenged as me is kind of impressed by the modularity and easy modability just in the SRD alone.

Cam Banks

Kiwi Game Designer
Validated User
Why would you do this? You can probably run Savage Worlds campaigns entirely with Cortex Prime with a little pre-campaign prep. Is there something in SW you'd want to keep? Miniatures combat or something?

Cheers,
Cam

loconius

Validated User
I haven’t seen anything like this but it would be easy enough I think. You have the 5 attributes and the 15 skills which can combine in a whole slew of ways to create dynamic actions. I’m assuming your talking about essentially using the savage worlds character sheet for a cortex prime game.

Doing it in reverse will be slightly more tricky, essentially changing the names of all the savage attributes and tying the secondary characteristics to the new ones...

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Why would you do this? You can probably run Savage Worlds campaigns entirely with Cortex Prime with a little pre-campaign prep. Is there something in SW you'd want to keep? Miniatures combat or something?

Cheers,
Cam
Oooh, ooh! Me! Me!

kronovan

Validated User
I'm admittedly more versed with the Cortex+ Action version of Firefly than Cortex Prime, but one way I can see using miniatures on a tabletop or map is to equate distance and ranges to dice types. For example, if you're concerned with how far a character can move on the tabletop per beat, you could base that on their Phsyical Attribute dice type. So for something that's like the character movement rates commonly found in an rpg like D&D, you could use:

d6 Physical dice = 20' walking, 10' climbing & swimming per beat.
d8 Physical dice = 30' walking, 15' climbing & swimming per beat.
d10 Physical dice = 40' walking, 20' climbing & swimming per beat.

For weapon ranges in combat encounters, you could come up with workable range bands for your setting and then align them to difficulty dice. So as an example, when a character takes a shot by rolling a dice pool with the Shoot skill dice included, the opposing roll could use these as one of the dice in the opposing pool;

Target character in close/point blank range includes a d4 (very easy) in their opposing dice pool.
Target character in short range includes a d6 (easy) dice.
Target character in medium range includes a d8 (challenging) dice.
Target character at long range includes a d10 (Hard) dice.
Target characer at extreme range includes a d12 (Really Hard) dice.

You could have less range bands than that - I only included that many to show the breadth of possilities. Coming up with doable range bands could be done quite easily by just averaging what's listed for weapons in one of the more tabletop friendly RPGs, like SWD. If you represent higher quality or named weapons as signature assets, better ranges can be reflected by stepping up that assets dice type. And of course those assets could have triggers, that might even improve upon that.

I think if you keep to the same principle -bigger dice means a better rate or distance for the initating character on the tabletop, while a bigger dice is a less favorable rate or distance for them when used in an opposing pool- you could handle just about anything you'd need to run miniatures on a tabletop. Just my 2 cents, but IMO because the RPG represents a sort of scaling via increasing dice type, it's very flexible and not that difficult to be adapted or customized in all sorts of new ways; especially if you want to houserule around distances and movement rates.

Last edited:

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User

Cheers,
Cam
I have met some people who don't quickly grasp the Cortex line. I thought something with a more traditional base might be a good segue into Cortex. Of course, it might just be the way I tend to go for a more 'Arthause' approach to Cortex with my creations.

I have a Savage Rifts game going at the moment that myself and the players are really enjoying, but the system is kinda fiddly. I keep finding rules we aren't using, and then there are other rules I cannot find, even with Control + F (rules for what happens when you target a person with Heavy Weapons/MDC Weapons is particularly bothersome; in Cortex Prime, this would be a simple application of the Scale die). Other things I dig a great deal (Iconic Frameworks, Edges, Arcane Backgrounds, Tiers. In addition, the part of my brain that loves to tinker thinks this might make an interesting frankensystem. I do plan this to be more of an application of Cortex Prime absorbing elements of Savage Worlds.

My initial thoughts:
+ SW Attributes and Skills (adjusted for the rules changes seen in Flash Gordon and adapted with some additional skills from Cortex Prime). These are the Prime Sets, along with default Cortex Prime Distinctions.
+ Derived Statistics, of a form. Charisma will be folded into the Attribute List. I have had players want to know how fast they can move. Pace will be the Running die from Savage Worlds modified by the Speed power and renamed (so most people will have a d6, while Juicers have a d10-d12). Parry will be a flat defensive value (that I may use for all attacks to speed up encounters and rename Evasion), and Toughness will use the optional Armor rules in cortex Prime. Not certain how these will be figured.
+ One Distinction is your Iconic Distinction, with SFX to model something similar to an archetype or class (this is specific to Savage Rifts). I'm thinking of using some material from the Eidolon alpha for this. I think I'm going to adapt Archetypes and the appropriate Professional Edges into Theme Distinctions and let the third Distinction represent your culture, which may include your species (not every Savage Setting uses Races).
- The Wild die. This is unnecessary in Cortex Prime. I will use Hero dice, though.
+ Exploding dice, at least for the initial build. I really want to see how this plays at the table. Exploding dice should help net Hero dice, and I may design it so they are the only dice capable of exploding. That might be interesting.
+ Edges, in some form. Probably as Talents.
+ Gear. Important pieces will be Signature Assets while minor gear will simply be tags.
+ Advancement Tiers (Rank). This is easy and seems like it might be a good fit for some games.
+ Arcane Backgrounds. I think this might make an interesting alternative to Power Sets. I think they will be similar to Power Sets, but you will only have access to one, and they will have tags and trappings. My brain is still percolating on this.
+ Shaken. This will use the Shaken variant rule tied to a complication. Torn between using Stress and Trauma or ablative Life Points.
+ Heavy Weapons/Heavy Armor. Applies the Scale die to the side without it. Otherwise cancels out. Really tough foes will have SFX for ignoring damage altogether.

Oooh, ooh! Me! Me!
Actually, Miniatures combat was something I was going to leave on the cutting room floor, but as it is easy enough to port in and out of Savage Worlds, if I end up building this monstrosity (and it is looking like I will at least take a stab at it), I will do a miniatures module just for you, Chikahiro.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Actually, Miniatures combat was something I was going to leave on the cutting room floor, but as it is easy enough to port in and out of Savage Worlds, if I end up building this monstrosity (and it is looking like I will at least take a stab at it), I will do a miniatures module just for you, Chikahiro.
*SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

I've got a big group, so minis help out LOADS. Plus I enjoy making them! Thank you! :)

j0rdi

Validated User
I cannot find, even with Control + F (rules for what happens when you target a person with Heavy Weapons/MDC Weapons...
Heavy/MDC Weapons is just an 'ON/OFF' switch, if they have it they can damage something with Heavy/MDC Armor, without it they can't. That is all it does, it doesn't ignore normal armor or anything else, it just allows you to affect H/MDC Armor. It's on p10 of the Rifts PG and p48 & 58 of the SWD.

Zadmar

Validated User
When I was looking for an alternative to Savage Worlds, the combat was definitely one of the biggest hurdles I faced - I needed a system that could handle combat with dozens of individual characters, like a skirmish-level wargame.

Such combat encounters work well in Savage Worlds because Extras only roll a single trait die (meaning I can roll attacks for several NPCs simultaneously, like a dice pool), and they don't have hit points or wounds, so there's no bookkeeping; the mini can simply be placed on its side to indicate Shaken status.

Top Bottom