• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Savage Worlds Daring Tales of the Space Lanes- where are the stats for the Blazing Star?

E-Rocker

Validated User
Hi all,

Tomorrow I'm planning to run the Savage Worlds adventure "Gunboat Diplomacy" from Daring Tales of the Space Lanes Compendium One. The PCs have a ship called the Blazing Star, but I can't find the stats for it. I'm sure they must be in the book somewhere; can someone please point me to the correct page? Thanks!

(Yes, I can make a ship on my own, but I'd rather use one that has the stats the adventure writers had in mind).

JimSales

Validated User
I hope you and your crew have a great time with this. I had a terrible family loss a few years back right before I was supposed to GM a new campaign. I told my players I could run Daring Tales of the Spacelanes since I wouldn't have to do much prep during my grief. It worked! We had 2+ years of a wild magical ride that they still talk about today. Queue Wingcommander Overture
We used that as our group theme music at the start of each session.

Chris Tavares

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I love DTotSL in general. However, some of the early adventures (specifically the first one, Waylaid on Weyland) are... not great. Specifically, they have these great big set piece battles with lots of environmental obstacles and complications, and no maps for the locations. I've run this adventure twice, and both times the maps I came up with resulted in an unsatisfying scene. So my only suggestion is to make sure to watch out for that.

E-Rocker

Validated User
Thanks for the feedback :) .

I ran "Gunboat Diplomacy" once before. In fact, it was the first adventure I ever ran! I had read the core rulebook and the adventure cover to cover multiple times, tried to practice some of the combats and chases on my own, got it to the table with my players, and pretty quickly realized I had no idea what I was actually doing! Those players kept playing with me, but the rest of our campaign was adventures of my own creation.

I'm curious to see how different it is to run "Gunboat Diplomacy" for a completely different group, now that I have 3.5 years of GM-ing under my belt & a pretty decent handle on the rules.

E-Rocker

Validated User
I had to drastically modify the adventure, because only one player showed up, and they showed up halfway through the allotted time, but it still went well. I had to cut out a couple scenes, and reduce the chase scenes to single rolls, but we got through the whole story, and the player and I both had fun. I'd call it a win! And it was definitely easier to run than the first time I did it.

Cargocultist

Validated User
I love DTotSL in general. However, some of the early adventures (specifically the first one, Waylaid on Weyland) are... not great. Specifically, they have these great big set piece battles with lots of environmental obstacles and complications, and no maps for the locations. I've run this adventure twice, and both times the maps I came up with resulted in an unsatisfying scene. So my only suggestion is to make sure to watch out for that.
Aww don't say that! I absolutely love Waylaid on Weyland1 I've run it at my rpg club, and then again at Dragonmeet... BUT! You are right, it cannot be run without making the maps first. I'd advise to do that and run it, though, because it's such a great adventure.

Spoiler: Show

All scenes except the last "boss fight" can probably be played without maps. For the last one, I'd created an A2 tactical map where I'd colour coded various conveyor belts to indicate where they were located on the z axis of the factory, and some platforms between them, and at the beginning of every round we'd move the minis of pcs and npcs that were on the belts, following direction arrows that showed where they were going. Players had a great time jumping from a belt to the next and trying to find the fastest and safest way to the Big Bad. However it's a battle that would be crap to play theatre of the mind and the module provides no map, so make your own!

Top Bottom