• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Savage Worlds ... MARS

J.T.

Validated User
While I was in my local shop today I spotted the savage worlds setting MARS.

My attention was grabbed by the cover so I had a quick flick though. What I saw really interested me.

Although I didn't buy it (I'm not a big savage world RPGer) I thought I'd post here to find out what others thought of it before I make up my mind.

J.T.

CHARLIBANANAS

Validated User
I have the d20 book, and it's ok but not great IMHO, if you have savage worlds and an interest in planetary romance novels then it shouldn't be too hard to hack together something, if you only have a passing interest or limited time then MARS is ok.

Vinzent

Validated User
I love Savage Worlds.

I don't think my players would get into the whole Mars setting. Too bad, otherwise I would definately get it.

J.T.

Validated User
That was my concern. Although I liked what I saw I wasn't to convinced I could get anyone to play in what I see as Sword and Sorcery in space... but without the magic.

a bit like Conan with a laser gun.

What I did read in the book did look as though it had been put together with some thought though.

Chris Tavares

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I had the d20 version and got rid of it. I loved the general idea, and Lizard (the original author) definately knows and loves the source material. But the text was just drowned in d20 minutia to the point that you got most of the background in the description of class abilities.

The Savage Worlds version is a significant rewrite. The background information is much, much better presented, and the mechanics are much less front & center. And the new art is a significant improvement; I thought the characters in the old art all had really goofy expressions on their faces. There are a couple unfortunate edit mistakes that reveal it was originally a d20 version. But they're pretty easy to ignore.

In my opinion it's a ton better than the d20 version. if you like the sword & planet genre, it's well worth owning. If you're not interested in the genre, though, I'd probably give it a pass.

Vinzent

Validated User
Actually, I probably could get them to play a little bit of it. I just had a brain fart.

If I ran a campaign where the characters were ordinary people who suddenly got swept into different settings (like D&D the Cartoon or Quantum Leap), they would probably dig it. I could make mini campaigns for the various settings. As they finish one, they suddenly leap to another setting with the hope that the next leap will bring them home.

drinks some more red bull

I could jump them into Slipstream, Conan, Solomon Cain, Necessary Evil... it could be fun. Of course where ever they jump, they are equipped to deal with the new environment (like getting super powers in the NE world).

chases the red bull with absinthe

And I can end the campaign in the world of Rifts, where the players must defeat K. Siembieda and his Glitterboys to get home! KS secretly discovered the Barrier Peaks from D&D and built a stronghold there to keep the rift open. This resulted in a breakdown in game systems, forcing more and more generic systems to be created. The gods of GURPS tried to fight back, but only warriors with Savage Power can end the vicious cycle!

Feel free to substitute game systems, game authors, etc.

wanders off, following the green fairy to the land of donuts

Last edited:

Islan

Validated User
Actually, I probably could get them to play a little bit of it. I just had a brain fart.

If I ran a campaign where the characters were ordinary people who suddenly got swept into different settings (like D&D the Cartoon or Quantum Leap), they would probably dig it. I could make mini campaigns for the various settings. As they finish one, they suddenly leap to another setting with the hope that the next leap will bring them home.

drinks some more red bull

I could jump them into Slipstream, Conan, Solomon Cain, Necessary Evil... it could be fun. Of course where ever they jump, they are equipped to deal with the new environment (like getting super powers in the NE world).

chases the red bull with absinthe

And I can end the campaign in the world of Rifts, where the players must defeat K. Siembieda and his Glitterboys to get home! KS secretly discovered the Barrier Peaks from D&D and built a stronghold there to keep the rift open. This resulted in a breakdown in game systems, forcing more and more generic systems to be created. The gods of GURPS tried to fight back, but only warriors with Savage Power can end the vicious cycle!

Feel free to substitute game systems, game authors, etc.

wanders off, following the green fairy to the land of donuts
You, sir, have just convinced me to buy this setting. XD

Top Bottom