• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Savage Worlds] Savage Star Wars

Vinzent

Validated User
I know about the 6 conversions on the Savage Heroes website, but none of them quite sit right with me. Some try to convert D6 Star Wars while others try to convert Saga. Both seem to complicate SW unnecessarily.

I know there's got to be others out there who have done the conversion. So how did you handle The Force?

EDIT: FYI I'm only planning on converting the abilities seen in the movies. I don't care for the Expanded Universe.

Cloud Divider

Validated User
I know about the 6 conversions on the Savage Heroes website, but none of them quite sit right with me. Some try to convert D6 Star Wars while others try to convert Saga. Both seem to complicate SW unnecessarily.

I know there's got to be others out there who have done the conversion. So how did you handle The Force?

EDIT: FYI I'm only planning on converting the abilities seen in the movies. I don't care for the Expanded Universe.
Lets see...in general, it's pretty straightforward, if you're happy to have a bit of dramatic abstraction.

To make it easy, let's just go with AB: Force-User, with Use Force as the skill. I think you might do reasonably well to go with the basic "pick 3 Powers" and take 10pp.

Basic Jedi empathy - "Feeling a disturbance in the Force" may just be a simple Use Force roll to well...basically get a narrative clue. No cost, alternatively 1pp.

Jedi speed (as seen in Ep 1 on the Droid ship), is the Speed power.

Telekinesis covers most of the "throwing people/things around with the Force," though what the weight limit is seems to depend more on narrative need than anything else. Luke can lift an X-wing; Mace Windu uses Super Battle Droids as wrecking balls, others throw terrain features around.

Force Lightning is simply Bolt. You could also use Bolt to substitute for a Force Choke, just with a variant trapping. Bolt would also stand-in for a lot of the other telekinetic attacks, too.

Deflecting blasters with lightsabers is simply the Deflection power...

areola

Validated User
I too am using Savage Worlds and converting it for Star Wars. Basically doing what Cloud Divider said. I try to resist the temptation of converting exact from d6 and SAGA, else I might as well play those instead. Just take a look at the power list from the Savage Worlds book and change the trappings for Force based powers.

Remember, the further you modify the powers, the further it strays away from Savage Worlds. Also be more narrative on the powers to follow the movies rather than defined and confined stats of the powers ie the weight allowed for telekinesis etc.. Just spend more power point of have the Jedi roleplay his determination to lift an X-Wing..

For the conversions in savageheroes.com, look at rorschach and john brown's file and see how they handle it. I think it fits the best..

Last edited:

Armmeggedon

Mutant Octopus
Validated User
Also, Slipstream is largely Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off. The Force stuff is just generic Psi from the main rulebook, but the rest of the book is chock full of stuff you can use.

Baulderstone

Validated User
I'd avoid creating any rules relating to Dark Side points. I really don't think mechanics are necessary. If a character goes around using the Force to wreak havoc and fulfill their own selfish whims then they are Dark Side. It is that simple.

Making random rolls to see if an action turned you or not is just stupid and can lead to all kinds of ridiculous results. "Whew! It's a good thing Annakin's Spirit die aced a couple of times when he killed all those younglings. I thought he was going over the Dark Side for sure."

SpoDaddy

Frakkin' toasters
Validated User
Making random rolls to see if an action turned you or not is just stupid and can lead to all kinds of ridiculous results. "Whew! It's a good thing Annakin's Spirit die aced a couple of times when he killed all those younglings. I thought he was going over the Dark Side for sure."
Isn't that what RPG's do all the time though? A character turning to the dark side almost always means the game can't work anymore unless the character becomes an NPC, which means it's essentially a death, and RPG's use dice to determine who lives and dies all the time.

areola

Validated User
I agree partially, but I still think we need some sort of measurement of how "dark sided" you are. Sure we can do away with the rolls and have them immediately gain dark side. I use dark side points mainly to show progression of the PC's conversion to the dark side.

No to be anal, but Annakin was considered fully Dark Side when he was slaughtering the younglings. But when he slaughtered the Sand People? Maybe a dark side point or two for his efforts... I am not sure what else evil things he did besides that til Mace Windu's death. Probably being arrogant or using hatred to kill droids but thats your ace rolls..

Top Bottom