• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[schlock Mercenary] So I just read Today's strip..

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
Yeah, you can use radioactive or quantum decays as a local source of true randomness. Hard to crack those.

sarellion

Validated User
I really have trouble following this whole we are broke and indebted to the old Oafans especially in case of the Toughs. They sold the ships they got themselves in good faith as the AI who controlled them, gave them freely, the biggest chunk was sold by the Neoafans who melded with the ancient soul foils, which is pretty close to being the original owners. The old Oafans seemed to have confiscated everything the Toughs owned and got in exchange of the sale including their houses, so no idea how the toughs managed to acrue debt the size of a planet.

Yeah it boils down to Putzho handing them the keys to their long guns back, so they can dictate terms, but the Toughs behave like they are morally obligated to pay back a debt they can never repay.

justified

Skeptical Simian
Validated User
I really have trouble following this whole we are broke and indebted to the old Oafans especially in case of the Toughs. They sold the ships they got themselves in good faith as the AI who controlled them, gave them freely, the biggest chunk was sold by the Neoafans who melded with the ancient soul foils, which is pretty close to being the original owners. The old Oafans seemed to have confiscated everything the Toughs owned and got in exchange of the sale including their houses, so no idea how the toughs managed to acrue debt the size of a planet.

Yeah it boils down to Putzho handing them the keys to their long guns back, so they can dictate terms, but the Toughs behave like they are morally obligated to pay back a debt they can never repay.
Which legal system are they using to determine liability, anyway? The ancient Oafans? The Neo-Oafans? PDs? The practical solution at this point (which of course they aren't going to use) would seem to be "declare bankruptcy, dissolve the Toughs", unless that's somehow not allowed.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have to agree, this logic doesn't make any sense. It's not them finding an "abandoned" house that wasn't abandoned - it's someone being declared dead, their heir paying the toughs for services rendered with the inheritance, then it turning out the original person wasn't dead after all.

It comes off as, I dunno, just some way to wipe the slate and make the toughs poor again and it feels really forced.

sarellion

Validated User
it's someone being declared dead, their heir paying the toughs for services rendered with the inheritance, then it turning out the original person wasn't dead after all.
It gets even bettter, the heir in this case is in part the original owner as the Neoafans bonded with their soul foils. So it´s possible that soulfoil owner agreed but uploaded mind owner never heard of it.

Which legal system are they using to determine liability, anyway? The ancient Oafans? The Neo-Oafans? PDs? The practical solution at this point (which of course they aren't going to use) would seem to be "declare bankruptcy, dissolve the Toughs", unless that's somehow not allowed.
The law of the long gun apparently. The Toughs sold their share of the ships to Petey who sold them to the UNS or UNS faction Int Aff int belongs/belonged to. The rest of the ships were sold by the Neoafans to the UNS. But it seems the old ones are billing Petey and the Toughs while they confiscated the Tough´s share and apparently not only for the ship the Toughs sold but every ship that left the Vault. AFAIK the Toughs didn´t sell thousands of ships themselves. Also it seems they want their ships back and it´s the UNS who has what´s left of them. I assume they also squeezing them as hard as they can. Seems to me the old Oafans get to collect thrice, Petey, Toughs and the UNS for the full sum every time.

Doesn´t make sense at all. If they are asking Petey only for the difference between the selling price to the UNS and the purchasing price from the Toughs, he wouldn´t have such a trade imbalance to consider them his defacto employers and I assume the Toughs were simply unable to spend so much of their money that they accrued debt the scale of a planet after the Oafans already got all of their property in Eina Afa. Ship maintenance was done in Eina Afa probably (where else), all of them lived in Eina Afa, so I assume costs of living were rather low despite living the high life.

Also no idea why it apears that Putzho is included in all of this. Petey calls the Oafans our employers, but Putzho never got anything from the stuff in Eina Afa and whatever amenities he enjoyed on the station was provided by Chinook. Maybe they billed him a quadrillon tons of PTUs in docking fees or whatever.

In shrt the whole thing feels rather bashed together rather sloppily.

I can live with that if the Toughs wouldn´t appear to feel morally obligated to pay it back. In cases like this, they always preferred to cut and run. And also the Oafans are in some way worse than Xinchub. He was an amoral jerk but at least he was honest about it.

Last edited:

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Even with Tagon maybe having more of a conscience than he used to, suddenly having a deep passion for the property claims against him of people who he has pretty much no reason to care about seems...bizarre.

And, as I mentioned earlier, the Toughs aren't the worst off here. The evolved resident hive-mind probably has the biggest problem since their homeworld is being put under prior claim, and if the Toughs were receiving stolen goods the modern Oafans were among those doing the 'stealing'.

sarellion

Validated User
Yeah, interesting thing is, that they´ve activated quite a few of the soul foils, including the one of Yaeyoefui, the librarian and none of them remembered there being an infosphere of upaoded minds. They probably wouldn´t remember the AI forcing people to upload, but the librarian had quite extensive knowledge about the cycles and the purpose of Eina-Afa of carrying their people and knowledge over the extinction barrier. https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2016-01-15

Did the AI curate the memories of them after archiving them?

Knight of Ravens

Validated User
I'm thinking that Chinook and Iafa were at least as responsible for the disposition of the Oafan ships, at a point in time when neither of them were affiliated with the Toughs. Also, the uploaded Oafans seem to have been buried to deep and so secretively within the Eina-afa infosphere (the connections/access to the portion of the infosphere in which they existed physically destroyed, and the memories of the destruction and that separate portion of the infosphere deleted by Iafa) that I feel there's a case to be made that no reasonable due diligence by the Toughs, Chinook, or Iafa could have located them.

Gyrfalcon

They said I was mad, MAD!
Validated User
Agreed that this is being built up weirdly and unfairly, especially as the reason for the ancient Oafans to even care was presented as "extinct people don't have space programs". The dismantled hulls weren't 'given away'; they were sold to the UNS (and probably other groups, offscreen) for things like a dismantled battleplate and an embassy and the funds to hire a whole mess of Sanctum Adroit. The hulls' price had a lot of goodwill built into it, but that's par for the course. When you're trying to avoid extinction by re-establishing physical contact with the greater galaxy, starting out with a claim that all the stuff your descendants have traded off to the rest of the galaxy is illicit and needs to be returned or repaid seems like a BAD way to start.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The dismantled hulls weren't 'given away'; they were sold to the UNS (and probably other groups, offscreen) for things like a dismantled battleplate and an embassy and the funds to hire a whole mess of Sanctum Adroit.
Looks like they might be addressing that part too.

Top Bottom