• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[schlock Mercenary] So I just read Today's strip..

Knight of Ravens

Validated User
So there's been some discussion in previous strips of Pa'anuri being created as, or functioning as, large-scale power sources.

We've just seen the Pa'anuri inhabiting this particular warship (I'm not sure if it should be described as piloting, wearing, or riding the ship; all seem at least somewhat appropriate) lose cohesion, but the ship itself is still mostly intact - enough so that it can generate a powerful enough shield to protect itself from the pseudonova at what is presumably a much closer range (and a much more concentrated energetic gas wavefront) than Oth is likely to experience. I guess the ship has a secondary power source or some juicy reserve batteries to show up a shield that strong, but that's some pretty monstrous shielding.

This hopefully means the ship itself will be intact for the local Galactics to capture and analyse? I wonder if, aside from the Pa'anuri inhabiting the ship, the frame components that we see might have a non-Pa'anuri crew - Andromedan baryonic allies perhaps.

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So there's been some discussion in previous strips of Pa'anuri being created as, or functioning as, large-scale power sources.

We've just seen the Pa'anuri inhabiting this particular warship (I'm not sure if it should be described as piloting, wearing, or riding the ship; all seem at least somewhat appropriate) lose cohesion, but the ship itself is still mostly intact - enough so that it can generate a powerful enough shield to protect itself from the pseudonova at what is presumably a much closer range (and a much more concentrated energetic gas wavefront) than Oth is likely to experience. I guess the ship has a secondary power source or some juicy reserve batteries to show up a shield that strong, but that's some pretty monstrous shielding.
You know, since the pilot/wearer is already gone when the deadman nova goes off, I'd expect them to prefer the ship be destroyed/scuttled as well rather than captured intact...

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Power sources? Really?

I thought they were a component in ancient mass PTU production technology.
You know, since the pilot/wearer is already gone when the deadman nova goes off, I'd expect them to prefer the ship be destroyed/scuttled as well rather than captured intact...
Yeah, but you can't always make things stop working on demand. (Unless, like the Oafans, you're willing to define "on demand" as "when I shoot it with a Long Gun".)

Knight of Ravens

Validated User
Power sources? Really?

I thought they were a component in ancient mass PTU production technology.
"Power" is how Gasca describes it here (following on from something started in the preceding strip) though it's possible he's speaking in quite rough terms and the Pa'anuri's role in the process is more complex than simply a power source.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I thought they were Star-shoggoths for galactic scale engineering projects, with being able to crank out PTUs being part of that.

So I am DEEPLY suspicious that the ship survived. Either it’s going to continue fighting as a ‘conventional’ war ship the size of a gas giant, or its some kind of cunning trap. We know the Paanuri aren’t above handing out technology to let the organic destroy themselves.

Also, this battle seems to have lasted only minutes. In that time a monstrously huge Paanuri was killed, they lost a cosmic scale chunk of mass used to make a spaceship, and destroyed a star system. And odds are they can just do it again: I very much doubt that’s the only prong of the attack.

Which means the next priority in galactic politics? Get everyone to lower their TADs so they’ll be able to evacuate, and not all kill each other immediately. Ha...

Worrying thought: that Paanuri was on a scale we’ve never seen. Do we actually know it was only one? ‘Dissipating’ may have actually been scattering the crew through the system.

I wonder if Petey has ever built dark matter objects of his own, to start scouting things out in their ‘dimension’.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
"Power" is how Gasca describes it here (following on from something started in the preceding strip) though it's possible he's speaking in quite rough terms and the Pa'anuri's role in the process is more complex than simply a power source.
Yeah, I'm only finding references to 'power', not to what I thought I remembered.
I wonder if Petey has ever built dark matter objects of his own, to start scouting things out in their ‘dimension’.
Well, back around the world-forge bit the Toughs thought that was going to happen. I don't recall hearing details since.

But they can, and do, observe Pa'anuri. I don't think it's realistic to worry that a bunch of them just jumped ship unnoticed.

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I thought they were Star-shoggoths for galactic scale engineering projects, with being able to crank out PTUs being part of that.

So I am DEEPLY suspicious that the ship survived. Either it’s going to continue fighting as a ‘conventional’ war ship the size of a gas giant, or its some kind of cunning trap. We know the Paanuri aren’t above handing out technology to let the organic destroy themselves.

Also, this battle seems to have lasted only minutes. In that time a monstrously huge Paanuri was killed, they lost a cosmic scale chunk of mass used to make a spaceship, and destroyed a star system. And odds are they can just do it again: I very much doubt that’s the only prong of the attack.

Which means the next priority in galactic politics? Get everyone to lower their TADs so they’ll be able to evacuate, and not all kill each other immediately. Ha...

Worrying thought: that Paanuri was on a scale we’ve never seen. Do we actually know it was only one? ‘Dissipating’ may have actually been scattering the crew through the system.

And now we know Petey's method for planetary evacuation. Good thing he doesn't need to ask for permission?

Top Bottom