• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[schlock Mercenary] So I just read Today's strip..

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I'll add my voice to the chorus wondering why Petey didn't just teraport everyone away physically, or even the entire planet. I mean, it seems like he might do that anyway since he clearly expects the planet to survive the shockwave.
Moving the planet is surely out of budget. When he swiped Oisiri, that was remarked as a really rather incredibly large expenditure.

EDIT: Okay, a story thought: we know at least some of the exogalactics fled in organic form, not as infomorphs. They're probably not going to be cool with what Petey just did at all, should they hear of it. The whole setup for him 'needing' to do it was a result of deciding to blow the (energy) budget on making contact with the exogalactics. I predict this will be observed for irony at some point.

Also, Petey being smug about making serious moral compromises has all the hallmarks of the AI-who-would-be-god heading for some comeuppance. Unfortunately, delivering that is prone to involve considerable collateral damage.

Last edited:

Shade the Lost

Validated User
Petey's been outwitted before, by humans, no less, unless he was choosing to let them beat him and purely acting surprised when he realized just how Admiral Emm planned to modify the Toughs' memories.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
I wonder if the exogalactic outreach is going to lead to the Paanuri taking pot shots at the refugee worldships. We were told you'd need a core generator to use long guns that far out; they have a bigger generator than Petey's.

Fade

Validated User
Petey is a military AI. Moreover, an O'Benn military AI. Wiping out an entire planet is something I'd expect him to feel 'quiet satisfaction' over, rather than 'soul-crushing guilt'.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Petey's been outwitted before, by humans, no less, unless he was choosing to let them beat him and purely acting surprised when he realized just how Admiral Emm planned to modify the Toughs' memories.
Petey compares humans to toddlers. How often have you been outwitted by a toddler? It's okay to admit it.

Petey is a military AI. Moreover, an O'Benn military AI. Wiping out an entire planet is something I'd expect him to feel 'quiet satisfaction' over, rather than 'soul-crushing guilt'.
Especially since he can tell himself Kevin's invention works as a soul extractor in every meaningful way, it's not just killing someone and making a copy.

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
But also note the size of Petey's ears, a visual indication of the current size of his ego that he has been noted as having no direct conscious control over. There have been times when they were much bigger and more ornate, and moments when they've suddenly shrunk at the speed of dawning realization...

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Petey’s “I grieved in advance” and “I have whole processor banks devoted to feeling guilt FOR me” attitude is what really bugs me here.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
As an O'Benn military AI he's hopelessly, irretrievably broken and has been for most of his career. Seeing as one fairly early operation of the Plenipotent Dominion was crushing the O'Benn war machine...

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
(It's Ob'enn, BTW. Space koalas, not Irish.)

LoneWolf23

Validated User
Petey’s “I grieved in advance” and “I have whole processor banks devoted to feeling guilt FOR me” attitude is what really bugs me here.
Considering we first met him while he was technically insane by AI standards, this revelation isn't reassuring me much.

Top Bottom