• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[schlock Mercenary] So I just read Today's strip..

Shade the Lost

Validated User
Schlock is a sergeant doing what a good NCO does. Namely, giving the officers a metaphorical kick to get them thinking and giving orders rather than standing around indecisively.

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Schlock is a sergeant doing what a good NCO does. Namely, giving the officers a metaphorical kick to get them thinking and giving orders rather than standing around indecisively.
He's the literal sergeant in proverbial motion.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
So. Mr 'Vulnerable to Exploits on Curiosity' is our antagonist. Because he's going to see a reason to return to the Milky Way and possibly fight the Paanuri as exactly what he fears. A memetic infection leading to suicide.

And looks like I was right. To a civilization that needs to function over millions of years with no major disruptions because they live on a spaceship stasis is the order of the day.

Reminds me of that old V:tM joke
"How many elder vampires does it take to change a light bulb?"
"Change?!? CHANGE?!?!?!"

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
One character in the comic thinks so anyway.
Well they’re a society, of course not everyone agrees.

Or we’ve got something gods going on with an engineered metastable social equilibrium.

Or a 1000 year offset cycle of conservative/rebelliousness to simulate what humans do with getting more conservative and less neurally plastic with age. Instead of handling that with generations they just have phases of ‘youthfulness’ balanced against the more entrenched. Possibly color coded :p

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
In that case, extrapolating from one sophont who has been cast as the paranoid naysayer since before the dinosaur evacuation to the entire society seems highly ambitious.
But they went along with him with the ‘blow it up just in case’ thing and he HAS been the same since before the dinosaurs. But I suppose you’re right. Still think I’m right though.

Top Bottom