• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sci-fi game with a D&D attitude?

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
So I was wondering if there is any science-fiction game out there that kind of has the same attitude as D&D. What I mean is pretty basic: at it's essence, D&D is Kitchen Sink fantasy. The main 13 classes as of 3.5 cover just about every major literary fantasy character type, the monster manual is full to the brim of creatures from dozens of different cultures around the world, and you can generally run any number of fantasy settings with very little work (or very much, depending on what you want to do).

However, I've yet to see a sci-fi game that's like this. One that includes mechs, mutants, spaceships, psionics, nanobots and so on. Sure, some get close (Like Gamma World 7th edition), but most sci-fi games are very genre specific. Traveller is mostly space opera, Gamma World is mostly post-apocalypse, Cyberpunk 2020 is mostly cyberpunk and so on. Is there any game out there that at least attempts to cover a large amount of bases in terms of sci-fi?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Alternity can cover most kinds of science fiction, science fantasy and fantasy. If there was a retroclone of it, I would be writing for that.

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
Alternity can cover most kinds of science fiction, science fantasy and fantasy. If there was a retroclone of it, I would be writing for that.
I've heard of that, but I heard the dice system has gotten some criticism.

LordofArcana

Validated User
Stars Without Number is basically retro-D&D, and Rifts is supposed to be very kitchen sink oriented. GURPS is sufficiently generic that it works for both sci-fi and fantasy.

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
I'm not looking for a generic system. I'm looking for a game that's very "kitchen sink" sci-fi, but not too difficult to understand or run

Xenon

Validated User
star wars d20, d20 revised, and Saga are three example of d20 rules for a good scifi setting. the d20 versions are basically 3e, but the Saga version has elements of 4e in a otherwise 3e game- skills are treated as feats that get a bonus based on your level, for example.

Top Bottom